Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

These symptoms indicate a corrupted CMOS, so yes, please perform a CMOS reset by shorting the two designated pins on the motherboard with a flathead screwdriver. Please follow instructions in the Designare owner’s manual. It’s an easy and safe procedure. One should be careful, but not afraid to do this.

If the system then boots up and Clover menu appears, choose the item that says:

Boot MacOS Install from Mojave.

In other words, look for a boot disk with the word “install”. This will allow the 10.14.6 update to take place.
Thanks for the advice and sorry for the delay in my response but I could not try before yesterday. However, the situation is this, after many attempts the problem should be a Ballistix Sport RAM that makes the system unstable preventing the system from starting. So Clover works, and it's not an update problem by mistake but I can't accept that after only 6 months a new RAM burns. Can the product warranty help me? Could it have been due to a power surge? In any case, could you recommend a bank of RAM that is certainly compatible and above all reliable?
Thanks in advance

@CaseySJ, my current motherboard has a dry joint somewhere and fails after about 15 minutes (about 10 minutes when I have dual booted into Windowz). I have just ordered a new motherboard, the Gigabyte Z390 Designare.

It would take me a very very long time to read through 748 pages of this thread so I was wondering if you could tell me if I can just swap the motherboard out and replace it with the new one and would Mojave boot and run fine? Of course I would remove my current SSDT etc.

I see all the files you have uploaded in post #1 but am unsure which of those I need and which refer to other bits somewhere in the 748 pages of the thread.

If you could point me in the right direction that would be great, or even upload your EFI Folder for me to use as a starting point. I am up to date at 10.14.6 plus V2 supplemental update. I don't currently have a Fenvi FV-T919 but intend to get one in the near future. I do have the same GPU as yourself.

Also, would my current serial number, that I created when I started out last year with my first Hackintosh, still be fine or would I need to generate a new one as my current definition is 18.3.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

I haven't gotten it to work either but might try to revisit. What do you have in your kexts/other and L/E folder?
No I don't have anything there. Updated my earlier post with pictures of the kexts and drivers.

Hello,

Wanted to confirm this finally for all of us disappointed that we cannot run an LG 5K at 5K. If you use the Mac OS "Scaled" resolution you are getting 4K anyways. You will only get more pixels if you use the "Default for display" resolution on your LG 5K, which for me, is too small anyways.

You can see the pixel counting here done in Sketch App. As you can see, even when running 4K at 4K on the LG 4K (I have 2 LG 4Ks and 1 LG 5K) the pixels match, although smaller, as when running scaled.

Just FYI

View attachment 424014View attachment 424015View attachment 424016View attachment 424017
There may a little silver lining:
  • Normal 4K is 3840 x 2160 pixels (8,294,400 pixels).
  • But with Default for Display you may be getting 4096x2304 pixels (9,437,184 pixels).
    • This is an additional 1,142,784 pixels (over 1 million more pixels) -- for the framebuffer.
    • Everything you see on the screen is first "rendered" to the framebuffer, and the framebuffer is sent over to the monitor for display.
  • Note that most users set the User-Interface or UI resolution to 2560x1440. Even though the display is a 5K display, macOS will either:
    • Case A: Render 2560x1440 into a 5K framebuffer.
      • In this case, macOS will send a 5K signal to the 5K monitor, so the monitor itself does not need to perform any further scaling on its end.
    • Case B: Render 2560x1440 into a 4096x2304 framebuffer.
      • In this case, macOS will send a 4096x2304 signal to the 5K monitor, so the monitor itself will in fact scale it up to its native 5K.
  • In both cases, the effective UI resolution is 2560x1440.
  • You might wonder whether Case A appears better to the human eye than Case B. The most common answer is that the difference is tiny.

Last edited:
Thanks,

One last thing that confuses me a bit: You add SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-RX580-V2.aml for your system. You note that "Display devices "AMD RX 580" and "AMD RX 580 Audio" in System Information."

Does this mean that this is purely a cosmetic fix? (as us with Vega cards do not need to add any SSDT? with the latest Mojave)

Sorry if it is a stupid question! :angel:
Yes this informational only, and no it's not a stupid question! :) For Vega and Radeon VII we should remove this SSDT.

Thanks for the advice and sorry for the delay in my response but I could not try before yesterday. However the situation is this, after many attempts the problem should be a Ballistix Sport ram that makes the system unstable preventing the system from starting. So clover works and it's not an update problem by mistake but I can't accept that after only 6 months a new ram burns. Can the product warranty help me? Could it have been due to a power surge? In any case, could you recommend a bank of ram that is certainly compatible and above all reliable?
Thanks in advance
You're not alone. There have been a handful of reports of bad DIMMs in this thread. Most DIMMs today come with Lifetime Warranty so please check the manufacturer's website for confirmation and also for return/exchange form or procedure.

Why did the memory go bad? This is a really good question because solid state devices tend to work reliably for years if not decades. It could certainly be a power surge or static electricity discharge (maybe some dust build-up), etc. It's wise to invest in a reputable ATX power supply because even the act of turning the computer on causes a rush of power. I'm using an EVGA SuperNova 80+ Gold Rated 750W power supply that has been flawless (so far). My computer is also connected to a CyberPower 1500W Pure Sinewave uninterruptible power supply (UPS). This smooths out (a) surges, (b) brownouts and (c) total power loss.

@CaseySJ, my current motherboard has a dry joint somewhere and fails after about 15 minutes (about 10 minutes when I have dual booted into Windowz). I have just ordered a new motherboard, the Gigabyte Z390 Designare.

It would take me a very very long time to read through 748 pages of this thread so I was wondering if you could tell me if I can just swap the motherboard out and replace it with the new one and would Mojave boot and run fine? Of course I would remove my current SSDT etc.

I see all the files you have uploaded in post #1 but am unsure which of those I need and which refer to other bits somewhere in the 748 pages of the thread.

If you could point me in the right direction that would be great, or even upload your EFI Folder for me to use as a starting point. I am up to date at 10.14.6 plus V2 supplemental update. I don't currently have a Fenvi FV-T919 but intend to get one in the near future. I do have the same GPU as yourself.

Also, would my current serial number, that I created when I started out last year with my first Hackintosh, still be fine or would I need to generate a new one as my current definition is 18.3.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
Some folks in this thread have actually done just that: They have simply moved a fully configured Mojave SSD from a previous system (with different motherboard) to this system with Designare. However, one should at least make the following changes:
  • Use AptioMemoryFix EFI driver in CLOVER/drivers64UEFI or CLOVER/drivers/UEFI.
  • If system fails to boot (Error allocating runtime area, etc.) then replace it with OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi and set slide=0 in Boot Arguments.
  • You will also need to install EmuVariable EFI if it's not already installed on your Z370 system.
  • Use the SSDTs provided in the build guide for (a) Thunderbolt hot plug, (b) USB ports, (c) Disabling the Intel CNVi WiFi/BT card.
  • Keep the same serial number and sys-def (iMac 18,3) for the time being. If you change these parameters, you may have to relicense all of your applications.
If you run into any issues, just let us know.

I was wondering: do we need the iGPU or can the Radeon VII handle everything like Preview and decode of H.264/H.265?

Not sure if the Radeon VII drivers are mature enough to handle it all?

Asking because I have ordered a Radeon VII for my build based on this thread.

Yes, my iGPU works fine with my Radeon VII.

Looks like in Catalina the LG Ultrafine 5k finally gets the auto-brightness enabled (on older models). Yay!?

Hm. Sleep is not working 100%. My rig will sleep/wake properly a couple of times, but then bounce back immediately until restart. Any ideas? Sleep has never been working properly on all the Hacks that I've built.
Not a big deal, normally I don't want it to sleep at all, but it's kind of nice that if I walk away from my desk for an hour or so I can put it to sleep.
I also have the disk not ejected properly message, but I am not ready to spend money on Jettison.

Did you resolve the eject error? Do you know if it also happens to TB3? Planning on getting a UAD or other TB3 aidio interface and I'm worried I'll have issues.

The only way I have figured out how to not get the eject error, by virute of another members suggestion, is to turn XMP off in the Designare's BIOS. I have 3600 MHz memory (HyperX Predator Black), and this brings my memory down to 2400 MHz and then I no longer get the error. However, in GeekBench, this lowers my overall scores by approx 10%. :/
The user also said that the max you can run your memory to not have issues is 2666 MHz, which is the fastest speed that Apple sells. I have no option to set 2666 MHz though..
In my case with my memory, t's..
XMP off = 2400 MHz
Profile 1 = 3600 MHz (with eject error)
Profile 2 = 3000 MHz (with eject error)
I tried to leave XMP off on the Designare and change the SMBIOS / boot in Clover Configurator to Yes, off, 1, or 2, and I'm still stuck at 2400 MHz with the 10% GeekBench performance drop. No noticeable changes no matter what I have that set to.

Didn't have luck with Jettison. Did you? There is a free 15 day trial version if you don't want to buy yet.

I also tried a free script, but it is at least over a year old for an older OS version.. It will eject the disks but not remount them. I have to replug all my USB sticks and it's a pain.

Turning off sleep is also kind of a deal-breaker. I have to use my machine quickly at unspecified times of the day, so it has to be ready to go, and turning off sleep will cause unnecessary wear-and-tear and run up my energy bill. At that point, running at 2400 MHz is a better deal.. But it's a bummer!

On my bootable macOS usb stick I had to turn off sleep though, or I got the spinning beach all of death (unless running at 2400 MHz though that is).

Last edited:
Back