Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hi, I'm having trouble. Installation has completed, Mojave 10.14.6 is running. I have followed the guide, and triple checked! I have Designare motherboard, i7-8700K and Sapphire Radeon 580 Nitro+ 4GB. Thunderbolt is not working; doesn't seem like all the USB ports are active; and H264 and HEVC hardware encoding is not working. Any tips?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-08-29 at 21.02.23.png
    Screenshot 2019-08-29 at 21.02.23.png
    62.2 KB · Views: 68
  • Screenshot 2019-08-29 at 21.02.12.png
    Screenshot 2019-08-29 at 21.02.12.png
    56.1 KB · Views: 72
  • Screenshot 2019-08-29 at 20.53.43.png
    Screenshot 2019-08-29 at 20.53.43.png
    243.8 KB · Views: 95
Hi, I'm having trouble. Installation has completed, Mojave 10.14.6 is running. I have followed the guide, and triple checked! I have Designare motherboard, i7-8700K and Sapphire Radeon 580 Nitro+ 4GB. Thunderbolt is not working; doesn't seem like all the USB ports are active; and H264 and HEVC hardware encoding is not working. Any tips?
Regarding Thunderbolt, please see the spoiler:

State of the System AFTER Post-Installation

USB configuration can be checked by running IORegistryExplorer then scrolling the device tree on left side until you see “XHC”. Under that you will find a set of USB ports:
  • HSxx ports are High Speed or USB 2 ports.
  • SSxx ports are Super Speed or USB 3 ports.
You should see a total of 15 such ports.

To fix HEVC and H.264 we need some more information:
  • SMBIOS name (iMac19,1)?
  • Platform ID (none specified or using headless ID 0x3E980003)?

Okay, so that was the problem. You are a beast. Anyway, since I can boot into my working system (except Bluetooth), I will provide the information that you requested from my original post.

Okay, so I took a Screenshot and saved the IORegistry File.
The 4th SSDT in the screenshot should not be present. Only 1 SSDT-UIAC... file is permitted. Please remove that file and check USB ports again. There may still be other issues, but let’s do one thing at a time.

Regarding Thunderbolt, please see the spoiler:

State of the System AFTER Post-Installation

USB configuration can be checked by running IORegistryExplorer then scrolling the device tree on left side until you see “XHC”. Under that you will find a set of USB ports:
  • HSxx ports are High Speed or USB 2 ports.
  • SSxx ports are Super Speed or USB 3 ports.
You should see a total of 15 such ports.

To fix HEVC and H.264 we need some more information:
  • SMBIOS name (iMac19,1)?
  • Platform ID (none specified or using headless ID 0x3E980003)?

Ok, Checked IORegistryExplorer. USB ports are working it seems like! My fault for not seeing that. Thanks. Smbios: imac 19.1 , and I followed a guide that used hackintool to that changed it to headless. I think also this just was my fault, i clicked refresh on the videoproc app now, and both h264 and hevc then showed up as green/available. But, I have i7 8700k, and 580 nitro 4gb + , and I just get ca 23 000 on geekbench score! I think this CPU should go up towards 30 000 ?What do you think? again, thanks for this amazing build guide and thread.

Last edited:
The LaCie D2 4TB drive is being used successfully by others such as @carloshferrari so I think the problem may be specific to your system. Have you tried connecting it to a real Mac or another TB-capable Hack?

Are the TB cables and adapters securely connected? Perhaps unplug and reconnect TB cable and TB3-to-TB2 adapter.

Also run Disk Utility and choose the First Aid icon from the icon bar.

Tried connecting to my MacBook Pro (2013) through Thunderbolt, and it's running fine. I did run first aid after it froze the first time and it came back totally normal.

Are there any tools we could use to diagnose what happened? Perhaps a log file somewhere?

Ok, Checked IORegistryExplorer. USB ports are working it seems like! My fault for not seeing that. Thanks. Smbios: imac 19.1 , and I followed a guide that used hackintool to that changed it to headless. I think also this just was my fault, i clicked refresh on the videoproc app now, and both h264 and hevc then showed up as green/available. But, I have i7 8700k, and 580 nitro 4gb + , and I just get ca 23 000 on geekbench score! I think this CPU should go up towards 30 000 ?What do you think? again, thanks for this amazing build guide and thread.
Yes that multicore score looks a bit low, but there are several scores lower than that in the link below. In Activity Monitor do you see any tasks that are consuming even small-to-moderate amount of CPU time? It's best to quit all apps, check for a clean Activity Monitor, then start GeekBench.

Tried connecting to my MacBook Pro (2013) through Thunderbolt, and it's running fine. I did run first aid after it froze the first time and it came back totally normal.

Are there any tools we could use to diagnose what happened? Perhaps a log file somewhere?
Does the system crash immediately when you try to open/read any file on that array? Or only certain files? Whether the array appears as an internal or external disk should not affect read/write behavior. That will mostly affect sleep/wake behavior.

Does the LaCie use a kernel extension when connected via Thunderbolt? Can you compare or post the following 2 screenshots:
  • /Library/Extensions on Hackintosh
  • /Library/Extensions on your MacBook Pro

@CaseySJ
Curiosity...how do you think Catalina will install on this build?

Yes that multicore score looks a bit low, but there are several scores lower than that in the link below. In Activity Monitor do you see any tasks that are consuming even small-to-moderate amount of CPU time? It's best to quit all apps, check for a clean Activity Monitor, then start GeekBench.

Did some more GeekBench scores - everything normal in BIOS: single 5937 - multi 24546 /// multiplier set to x47 in BIOS : single 5938 - multi 26177

I think that's a too low score for this CPU (8700K), any tips on settings in BIOS or anything I´m missing or doing wrong?
Screenshot of Intel Power Gadget during GeekBench.

Attachments

• gb-normal.jpg
    gb-normal.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 69
  • gb-mult47.jpg
    gb-mult47.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 74
  • ipg-.jpg
    ipg-.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 77
@CaseySJ
Curiosity...how do you think Catalina will install on this build?
Been there, done that. :)

Back