Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Thanks -- BlackMagic UltraStudio 4K Mini has been added to Thunderbolt 3 Experiences.
well done!

Thank you for the sentiment; it's much appreciated! I do this simply as a volunteer, and that's rewarding enough. You're welcome, however, to contribute to the site's operation (top left corner of webpage).
I believe I have already donated to the site once, I believe.
With this one it makes it twice. Thank you for the suggestion, that button should be more visible ;)

To every kind soul who has offered a beer, let me say most humbly that exotic small-lot coffees are my current weakness. I tend to roast the beans myself. :)
I don't even drink alcohol, but a Moka brew in the morning makes me happy.
Don't go as far as roasting my beans, though ;)

thanks again for all the hard work.
I'll make sure I report any further discovery.

Right now running really well with an i9-9900K cooled by a Corsair H100i Pro RGB.
I've been rendering in Fusion 360 which can be hard on the CPU and barely touched 90ºC,
although I wonder: what are acceptable temperatures under load?

Yesterday before I replaced the water cooler I got a warning that a few cores were over-heating and HWMonitor was showing me 83ºC.
Of course with a water cooler once I stopped the rendering the cores went back to ~40ºC in a few seconds

Hmm, something is very fishy.

Bad memory DIMMs? How many modules do you have? Are they Corsair Vengeance LPX?

There’s a utility called MemTest that might be worth running. Googling for “memtest” will bring up the link. There have been several reports of system instability due to bad memory modules in this thread.

Also try running the system with a single module.
memory I have is this: https://www.hyperxgaming.com/en/memory/predator-ddr4

at the moment I just ran a memory test on one stick only in the system and it crashed, no other apps running.

I'm on the next single stick of memory, will report back, any other ideas if this doesn't work?
thanks

Right now running really well with an i9-9900K cooled by a Corsair H100i Pro RGB.
I've been rendering in Fusion 360 which can be hard on the CPU and barely touched 90ºC,
although I wonder: what are acceptable temperatures under load?

Yesterday before I replaced the water cooler I got a warning that a few cores were over-heating and HWMonitor was showing me 83ºC.
The general recommendation is to keep temps below 85°C for long-term use. It's well below the threshold for thermal throttling and not at the point where it'd be 'stressing' the silicon long-term.

memory I have is this: https://www.hyperxgaming.com/en/memory/predator-ddr4

at the moment I just ran a memory test on one stick only in the system and it crashed, no other apps running.

I'm on the next single stick of memory, will report back, any other ideas if this doesn't work?
thanks

second stick froze machine and crashed.

third stick - the computer didn't even boot up at all, not even to clover screen.

I'm on the forth and final stick....

Only when it's not working properly. Wrong cable or bad connection or something.

macOS doesn't scale 2560x1440 up to 5K. In HiDPI mode, it draws things 4 times larger. Heights and Widths are doubled. font size is doubled. Take a look at the differences between these two screen shots.
View attachment 421854View attachment 421852

If it's not outputting 5K, then you have something to complain about. It should work properly if two DisplayPort 1.2 signals are being sent over the 40 Gbps Thunderbolt cable.

Unnecessary. It will be like the "Looks Like 2560x1440" except everything will be drawn at normal size.

That explains it. Need 40 Gbps for 5K.

In the AGCDDiagnose output, I see the following:
Connected to the Intel iGPU is one four lane DisplatPort 1.2 connection to a device from 204-45-140 = "LG ELECTRONICS INC" with name "22MD4K"

Connected to the AMD dGPU is two four lane DisplayPort 1.2 connections to a device from the same LG with names "22MD4K" and "27MD5K"

For some reason there are three different EDIDs. The EDIDs for 22MD4K are similar but the one connected to the iGPU has a date from 2016 and the one connected to the dGPU has a date from 2017. The serial numbers are also different (the one in the dGPU is higher). The 27MD5K has an even higher serial number. It has info about the tiling of the display (the display is two tiles, the 27MD5K lists the tile for the left side). I used edid-decode. I don't think it's able to parse everything though. I should make my own parser one day...

Yup, your screenshot shows it's not working at 5K.

Some passive cables are too long to run at 40 Gbps. They will run an 20 Gbps. For long Thunderbolt 3 cables, you need an active cable. Yes, 20 Gbps is not enough for 5K, and yes, TB2 cables are also 20 Gbps but that doesn't matter, because to use a TB2 cable with a TB3 device, you would need one or two Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapters which reduce the bandwidth to 20 Gbps. It might be interesting to see if the really long TB2 optical cables can work with Thunderbolt 3 devices using a couple Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapters (but they will be limited to 20 Gbps).

They used the wrong cable or a bad cable. Note that Thunderbolt can be one or two lanes that can transmit at 10 or 20 Gbps. Thunderbolt 2 added the ability to join both lanes together for a single link.

These are some of the possibilities:
1) "Speed: Up to 40 Gb/s x1. Current Link Width: 0x2". Two lanes of 20 Gb/s acting as 40 Gb/s x1.
2) "Speed: Up to 40 Gb/s x1. Current Link Width: 0x1". Not valid. No device connected.
3) "Speed: Up to 20 Gb/s x1. Current Link Width: 0x2". Two lanes of 10 Gb/s acting as 20 Gb/s x1. This could be a long passive Thunderbolt 3 cable, or USB-C cable used for Thunderbolt 3, or a Thunderbolt 2 cable or device.
4) "Speed: Up to 20 Gb/s x1. Current Link Width: 0x1". One lane of 20 Gb/s. The other lane is not connected because it's bad?
5) "Speed: Up to 10 Gb/s x1. Current Link Width: 0x1". One lane of 10 Gb/s. This is a Thunderbolt 1 device.

It probably doesn't work at 5K with a 20 Gb/s cable. Check the SwitchResX timing. Check the Thunderbolt link speed and width.

Yup. The entire path from GPU to LG display needs to support DisplayPort 1.4 if you want to test DisplayPort 1.4. This means AMD or Nvidia graphics as the source and any Thunderbolt devices in the chain need to be 40 Gb/s (Alpine Ridge or Titan Ridge) and the first and last Thunderbolt devices in the chain need to be Titan Ridge (the first converts DisplayPort 1.4 to Thunderbolt 3, which can be carried by Alpine Ridge; the last must be Titan Ridge to convert Thunderbolt to DisplayPort 1.4).

My SwitchResX output for the old LG 5K:
4096x2304, scale to 5120x2880 with pixel clock 593,82 MHz

Attaching the AGDCDiagnose output.

Also, before going with headless iGPU I saw two monitors connected which I thought was a bug, one from iGPU and one from dGPU. Could this mean that it was actually trying to combine two feeds and send them over Thunderbolt to the monitor?

I clearly remember iGPU was rendering the screen in vertical orientation which I thought was especially odd.

Attachments

• AGDCDiagnose_a.txt
    28.4 KB · Views: 92

Also, before going with headless iGPU I saw two monitors connected which I thought was a bug, one from iGPU and one from dGPU. Could this mean that it was actually trying to combine two feeds and send them over Thunderbolt to the monitor?
I think that having the old LG 5k there's no way around other than connecting 2 DP-in with the Alpine Ridge, because the display don't support DP1.4

The file shows DP 1.2 and HBR2

I think that having the old LG 5k there's no way around other than connecting 2 DP-in with the Alpine Ridge, because the display don't support DP1.4

The file shows DP 1.2 and HBR2

That's for headless iGPU, I am now pretty sure there's no way to get 5K on old LG 5K connecting dGPU -> Designare -> Monitor.

I'll switch back to fully enabling iGPU - maybe you'll find something useful!

That's for headless iGPU, I am now pretty sure there's no way to get 5K on old LG 5K connecting dGPU -> Designare -> Monitor.

I'll switch back to fully enabling iGPU - maybe you'll find something useful!.
That would be interesting to see!. However the thing is that if you have dGPU and iGPU enabled Final cut will crash so at least for me won't be super interesting.

I'm soooo looking forward to someone who can test the new 2019 LG 5K (wink wink @sidhellman :p) on Designare and on a Mac (with Titan Ridge) and see if it's actually both systems are working in the same way.

The current only known way to make 5k work is to use Alpine Ridge + Designare. What I'm wondering is if it really works everything correctly: hot plug, camera, mic, wake, sleep, etc.

Last edited:
second stick froze machine and crashed.

third stick - the computer didn't even boot up at all, not even to clover screen.

I'm on the forth and final stick....

OK, the last stick I also get a crash still. :(

I clearly remember iGPU was rendering the screen in vertical orientation which I thought was especially odd.
Your 27MD5K device connected to dGPU is the same as JayShay's but yours has a newer date of 2018 instead of 2017. The iGPU says "WARNING: getDeviceCaps failed" maybe it just means there are no devices connected to iGPU or maybe you need to restart. You only have one connection to the dGPU, so you can't get 5K. I think JayShay had two LG 4K displays connected with his LG 5K display in his AGDCDiagnose output which was confusing me. It would explain the different product numbers, serial numbers, and DPCD names.

To be clear, you are connecting the display to a Thunderbolt 3 port of the Designare Z390 motherboard?

You can't get 5K on the LG UltraFine 5K from the AMD graphics card in the Designare when using the Designare's Thunderbolt ports because the display doesn't support DisplayPort 1.4 and the motherboard only has one DisplayPort input for the AMD graphics card.

Some solutions:
  1. You need to use a Thunderbolt 3 add-in card with two DisplayPort 1.2 inputs. GC-TITAN RIDGE or GC-ALPINE RIDGE should both work.
  2. You need to use a 5K display with DisplayPort 1.4 input.
  3. Use a motherboard with two DisplayPort inputs to the Thunderbolt controller.
  4. Use a motherboard that has two DisplayPort inputs from the iGPU (which means the AMD card won't be used except as an eGPU).
  5. I'm pretty sure the Thunderbolt controller gets one DisplayPort input from the DisplayPort input port and one from the iGPU. When you connect a dual link 5K display, each DisplayPort input of the 5K display is connected to a different GPU. They won't work together to produce a proper 5K image.

Disconnect the AMD from the DisplayPort input. That way, the display will be powered by iGPU. If the motherboard has some fancy DisplayPort MUX, then it could output two DisplayPorts from the iGPU to the Thunderbolt controller when it senses no external DisplayPort input. But I don't think the motherboard is that smart. If the motherboard is not that smart, then it means they wasted the third DisplayPort output of the iGPU.

Back