Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

The install process is done but I haven't been able to boot into macOS to even begin post-installation.

Verbose mode is enabled via config.plist as per your guide.

The KP aren't even giving me consistent feedback which is confusing.

2019-08-12 22.48.15.jpg

I keep restarting and attempting boot. 1 of 3 things will happen:

° Kernel Panic while still in verbose boot mode
° Frozen grey screen immediately following apple logo loading screen
° Setup screen loads but freezes partway through (see image below)

2019-08-12 23.12.38.jpg

(I got this far before it seized)

Last edited:
The install process is done but I haven't been able to boot into macOS to even begin post-installation.

Verbose mode is enabled via config.plist as per your guide.

The KP aren't even giving me consistent feedback which is confusing.

View attachment 421575

I keep restarting and attempting boot. 1 of 3 things will happen:

° Kernel Panic while still in verbose boot mode
° Frozen grey screen immediately following apple logo loading screen
° Setup screen loads but freezes partway through (see image below)

View attachment 421578

(I got this far before it seized)
Several suggestions:
  • All extraneous devices should be removed (FireWire card, any other PCIe cards except GPU, all USB devices except keyboard and mouse). A natively support WiFi/BT card is okay. All other hard drives should also be removed or disconnected. We want to keep the system as simple as possible, but not simpler.
  • Do not rush. Take your time and go through it slowly.
  • What is the make and model of the Mojave SSD?
  • Is it a brand new SSD?
  • Have all High Sierra disks been removed or disconnected?
Feel free to compress and upload the CLOVER folder from EFI partition of USB install disk.

No problems with installation, which i've done using the blue ports. Just can't get the OS the load up. Occasionally it gets past the apple logo loading bar and hits a frozen grey screen. Otherwise it throw a kernel panic just before that point.

View attachment 421573

(No idea why the forum is rotating this image after I upload it.)

My next step has been to disconnect every SATA device but for the Mojave system disk. Maybe I should try unplugging my FireWire pci-e card.
The real source of the crash has scrolled off the screen. We usually take a video of the boot log with a smartphone and then scrub it frame by frame until we can see the prior page of text.

Thanks once again for your attentive help, CaseySJ.

After freezing during account creation, I was able to boot into the OS to the temp account I had started making. I had taken a video of the kernel panic but I've crossed my fingers and tried to finish post-install.

I got to the very end and the system seized while running Kext Utility. Mojave then wouldn't boot but I was able to fix that via Recovery partition and Terminal as you explained to another user up-thread.

I left the studio while the bootable clone operation was running. Gotta sleep. Will return tomorrow to test stability and migrate my user in.

Last edited:
Apple does not show the output resolution anywhere. "Resolution" is the framebuffer resolution. "UI Looks like" will have a quarter of that for Retina (HiDPI) modes. This frame buffer resolution can be scaled by the graphics card to output a display signal using a different resolution. For example, I have a 4K display connected to the HDMI 2.0 port of a Mac mini 2018. I can choose a scaled mode that "Looks like 2560 x 1440" using a resolution of 5120 x 2880. To view the info for the actual signal, I can use SwitchResX and double-click the current resolution. 594 MHz is the timing used by HDMI. DisplayPort would use 533 MHz.
View attachment 421566
In the case of a 5K display, you should see something over 900 MHz. But that's not all. 5K can be done with a single DisplayPort 1.4 signal or two DisplayPort 1.2 signals. You might be able to see this using the AGDCDiagnose command described at #532

It's not proprietary. The method is described as "dual-link SST" in Apple support documents. This is exactly the same as "dual cable" also described in other Apple support documents. Dual-link just puts both DisplayPort 1.2 signals over Thunderbolt 3.
Titan Ridge can support dual-link SST just like Alpine Ridge. Apple also supports old 4K displays that use MST (also mentioned in one of those Apple support documents). They are like the dual link or dual cable 5K displays but 4K MST displays use a single DisplayPort signal to transport two DisplayPort streams. This is not to be confused with MST displays that allow chaining displays using MST (a single DisplayPort signal transporting multiple DisplayPort streams, one for each display) which Apple does not support.

I believe the LG 34WK95U-W supports DisplayPort 1.4 single link and DisplayPort 1.2 dual link using Thunderbolt 3. It also supports DisplayPort 1.4 using USB-C. I have seen no evidence that the new LG UltraFine 5K supports DisplayPort 1.4. I've listed the methods for obtaining that proof.

To verify, I would like to see a screenshot from SwitchResX with the timing info, and a text file containing the output from the AGDCDiagnose command.

Titan Ridge should work as well as Alpine Ridge for this unless there's something weird in the BIOS to stop it from working. Maybe consider connecting the Thunderbolt card externally #74 to save a slot and avoid BIOS problems. You can also see examples in the eGPU.io forums where a PCIe riser or extra PCIe slot in an eGPU is is used.

Each LG UltraFine 5K requires two DisplayPort 1.2 signals so you need a graphics card with four DisplayPorts. Gaming cards usually only have 3 except some Nvidia RTX cards where you can get DisplayPort from the USB-C port, but RTX doesn't work in macOS.

Learned a lot, thank you very much!

@CaseySJ, I can't know why I had a hard time getting things going after install, but you've written a glorious, comprehensive guide that utterly simplified this re-build for me. So far, everything feels super smooth. I've migrated my Sierra user, and I'm going to start testing my studio hardware/software with the new setup.

Thanks for being so generous with your time. I'm putting through a small donation to the site.

Apple does not show the output resolution anywhere. "Resolution" is the framebuffer resolution. "UI Looks like" will have a quarter of that for Retina (HiDPI) modes. This frame buffer resolution can be scaled by the graphics card to output a display signal using a different resolution. For example, I have a 4K display connected to the HDMI 2.0 port of a Mac mini 2018. I can choose a scaled mode that "Looks like 2560 x 1440" using a resolution of 5120 x 2880. To view the info for the actual signal, I can use SwitchResX and double-click the current resolution. 594 MHz is the timing used by HDMI. DisplayPort would use 533 MHz.
View attachment 421566
In the case of a 5K display, you should see something over 900 MHz. But that's not all. 5K can be done with a single DisplayPort 1.4 signal or two DisplayPort 1.2 signals. You might be able to see this using the AGDCDiagnose command described at #532

It's not proprietary. The method is described as "dual-link SST" in Apple support documents. This is exactly the same as "dual cable" also described in other Apple support documents. Dual-link just puts both DisplayPort 1.2 signals over Thunderbolt 3.
Titan Ridge can support dual-link SST just like Alpine Ridge. Apple also supports old 4K displays that use MST (also mentioned in one of those Apple support documents). They are like the dual link or dual cable 5K displays but 4K MST displays use a single DisplayPort signal to transport two DisplayPort streams. This is not to be confused with MST displays that allow chaining displays using MST (a single DisplayPort signal transporting multiple DisplayPort streams, one for each display) which Apple does not support.

I believe the LG 34WK95U-W supports DisplayPort 1.4 single link and DisplayPort 1.2 dual link using Thunderbolt 3. It also supports DisplayPort 1.4 using USB-C. I have seen no evidence that the new LG UltraFine 5K supports DisplayPort 1.4. I've listed the methods for obtaining that proof.

To verify, I would like to see a screenshot from SwitchResX with the timing info, and a text file containing the output from the AGDCDiagnose command.

Titan Ridge should work as well as Alpine Ridge for this unless there's something weird in the BIOS to stop it from working. Maybe consider connecting the Thunderbolt card externally #74 to save a slot and avoid BIOS problems. You can also see examples in the eGPU.io forums where a PCIe riser or extra PCIe slot in an eGPU is is used.

Each LG UltraFine 5K requires two DisplayPort 1.2 signals so you need a graphics card with four DisplayPorts. Gaming cards usually only have 3 except some Nvidia RTX cards where you can get DisplayPort from the USB-C port, but RTX doesn't work in macOS.
Awesome overview! Thanks.

I really can't wait to get this setup, hopefully @sidhellman can take a look at this and finally find out if the new LG 5k is using DP1.4 and running to its full potential.

@joevt you mentioned on the Ultrafine 5k thread that even DP1.4 can't handle 5k@60hz at 10bits (8bits+FRC). Is this still true? If yes, even if the new 5k uses DP1.4 best solution to get the display "fully working" will be to install a Titan/Alpine ridge card and get those 2x DP1.2 anyway, right?.

Last edited:
I've been using OpenCore for a while and it works great, so far. If someone wants to try it, they can. At their own risk. Perhaps CaseySJ and some other users want to test it, maybe they are already testing it. Idk.

I've uploaded a my ready EFI folder with OpenCore. It includes the SSDTs by Casey. It works for me, however my config is slightly different with iMac Pro 1,1 SMBIOS. The config in the folder got iMac 19,1 SMBIOS.

This can be tried with USB, or directly with the Mac drive's EFI partition, by adding the "boot" and the "OC" file in the EFI. I'd suggest to not replace Clover with OpenCore, and keeping Clover safe.

Once you boot to OpenCore. You use the numeric keys to boot, I.e 1..2..3.

Important to keep in mind that OpenCore is in its testing times. The purpose by the developers who started this project, was to have a close experience of how Apple booting is.

I was thinking about testing it myself and you seem to have a pretty similar config. Do you have the .04 version EFI you can share? It would give me a leg up to get going.

@CaseySJ I had an interesting experience with Thunderbolt today. For the hell of it I copied the Thunderbolt Device Properties from an iMac 19,2 dump to my EFI and changed the the PCI path to my EX3 card location.

Previous behavior with DTDG+TBTHotplug: IOReg showed our desired DSB0, DSB1, etc... setup. No hot plug. If I restarted my UAD Apollo I would need to shut down, unplug, turn on, replug power, boot.

Behavior with this device property: No hot plug. But if I restart it reconnects. Not sure if this is a path you've already been or is helpful but I figured I'd drop it here and also on the Hot Plug Thread.

Attachments

• device-properties.plist
    998 bytes · Views: 123
Hi guys,

Just updated to latest version of VirtualSMC 1.07, but system goes black at boot after the following:

busy timeout (60s): 'AppleACPICPU'

going back to VirtualSMC 1.06 works as usual

Thanks for your input!!

Back