Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

How and where to install kexts:

The most kexts i use like AppleaALC.kext, FakePCIID.kext, FakePCIID_Intel-GbX.kext, IntelMausiEthernet.kext and XHCI-unsupported.kext are installed in /L(ibrary /E(xtensions) folder on my Macintosh HD. I´ve installed these kexts with KextBeast and renew the kernel cache.
Lilu.kext, WhateverGreen.kext, USBinjectAll.kext, LiluFriend.kext and the VirtualSMC.kext, SMCProcessor.kext and SMCSuperIO.kext installed to clover/kexts/other folder (i posted).
VirtualSMC.efi installed at drivers/uefi folder and i dropped out SMCHelper.efi.

But i think, it´s no matter, where the kexts are installed. Before i notice iStatMenus doesn´t show the CPU temperature or the fan speeds (only the temerature of my internal NVMe Samsung Evo 970), all my kexts are installed to clover/kexts/other. In my opinion it´s a matter of taste, where you install the third party kexts. In many discussion forums there are good reasons to install third party kexts to the /L /E folder. And there are also many reasons for clover/kexts/other folder like in your reply post.

I think in the future the VirtualSMC.kext support the missed functions (temperatures, fan speeds) for iStatMenus, as long as we have to wait.

thanks anyway!

@jrebergen @Kalypso478

Fan speed monitoring with iStat Menus is not guaranteed. Out of the three fan connections in my system, only one appears in iStat Menus. However, all three fans appear in HWMonitorSMC 2.4.5. This utility can be downloaded from the bottom of this post:

Yes, HWMonitorSMC 2.4.5 shows the three fan speeds and the CPU temperature. I only wonder, why iStatMenus doesn´t.
Also because some people reports success in her posts like #4501. But i noticed, that was with the "old"/alternative FakeSMC.kext and the corresponding kexts.
Since the post #4501, which i refer to, i´ve updated to MacOS 10.14.6 and change my SMBIOS from MacPro 1,1 to iMac 19,1.
My hope for the future: VirtualSMC.kext and his supported kexts allow iStatMenus to read this missed functions (fan speeds and CPU temperatures).

Thanks for your help and fast reply!

I've been using the latest Firefox for about an hour across numerous websites and it has been completely stable. If you have a number of Firefox extensions, try disabling them. Is there a particular website that crashes the browser more regularly? Are Safari and Chrome stable?
Safari and Chrome seem to be fine, I have no extensions that I've installed, I've only had the computer running for 3days - Firefox and Firefox developer version both do it?

Let's check the basics first. What versions of Lilu and WhateverGreen are installed in:
  • /Library/Extensions
  • CLOVER/kexts/Other
I HAVE:
/Library/Extensions
lily: 1.3.7
whatevergreen: 1.3.0

and
CLOVER/kexts/Other
lily: 1.3.7
whatevergreen: 1.3.0

Interesting! The missing indicators for CPU temperature and fan speeds is a "fault" in the iStatMenus app.
That make sense, because HWMonitorSMC 2.4.5 read out the corresponding temperature values and fan speeds.

Thanks!

P.S. Remains to be hoped, iStatMenus developers change this in future versions.
I would be interested to know if there are others who have the same problem. Use VirtualSMC.kext instead of FakeSMC.kext and iStatMenus doesn´t show the values.

Last edited:
Hello everyone! Can someone tell me how Davinci Resolve works for you on this build?
I can’t understand why GPU loaded maximum at 20% when i edit and export h.264 (based on info from iStat Menus)
My SMBIOS is Mac 19.1(headless)
Thank you!

Last edited:
There is a link in the guide which shows an example using Hackintool. Its in the spoiler where the postboot is described.

PS: sorry using a phone, othewise would have pasted the link out here.

I know, but @CaseySJ mentions this on that tutorial:

1. Download Hackintool from here.
2. Lilu and WhateverGreen must be installed.
3. Your computer must be booted up with proper graphics Device ID and Platform ID values. These can be specified easily in Clover. Choose either Option 1 or Option 2 below.

Spoiler: Option 1: Enter the values in Clover Configurator (recommended for most people)
Devices --> Fake ID --> IntelGFX --> Enter appropriate Device ID (e.g. 0x3E9B8086).
Graphics --> Inject Intel --> Check this ON.
Graphics --> ig-platform-id --> Click pop-up menu and choose appropriate ID (e.g. 0x3E9B0007).

Spoiler: Option 2: Add custom Properties in the Devices page of Clover Configurator (for advanced users)

While on the postinstall config.plist phase of this OP, I see this:

Now we make some changes to Devices. The native iGPU on 9th gen Coffee Lake is 3E988086, which is not supported in MacOS 10.14.2 and 10.14.3. So we "fake" it to its closest cousin, which is 3E928086. But the iGPU is fully supported in macOS 10.14.4 and later so we do not fake the ID and leave it as 0x0. We also enable FixOwnership for USB, Inject 16 for Audio, and enable ResetHDA.

Not clear to me whether I should set the values or should go forward without them.

After hiding under a rock for quite a while now I've come up with another new (old) Problem; my Wi-Fi Card! I already had the Problem to just be able to run my 4331cd Card (4360cd wouldn't boot up at all, at least not in a PCI x1 Slot, Bluetooth, however, always works, as long as the USBB header is attached). Since then I removed the Intel CNVi card (still looking for a suitable replacement to experiment on the slot), because it would interfere with Windows boot (circle freeze, "adapter could not be started" etc.) and my Windows hickups are now really rare. Later on I got curious and to be honest it also bugged me all way long not be able to get the 4360 working, so I decided (although both cards were working in my x58 setup) something could not be right with the card and it was time order a new one. I carefully picked the lates compatible (653-00011, a 43602cdp, iMac 2017 I think -->653-0005 is the older one from 2015(?)) and ran into the same problem. Card doesn't get recognised in any other slot than PCIe x1 (didn't check BIOS, but x1 Slots are the only ones problematic while booting. With the card in PCIe x16, x8 and x4 all systems boot fine, but card doesn't appear anywhere).

Bottom line is: anyone else experienced such weird issues? With the very same board I have, in partcular? I came across some old posts of @ummario (thanks at this point btw, for sharing your experiences), who managed to get his card running in the x4 Slot (which nevertheless didn't work for me, but frankly I don't believe we have the exact same configuration).

Things I changed since my first success:

-BIOS update to F7 (again with CFG-Unlock)
-Bigger rad (doesn't matter here though)
-Got rid of the CNVi Card (stated above) and the No-CNVW-SSDT
-Changed SMBIOS to iMacPro 1,1 (to get rid of NoVpaJpeg.kext)
-Maybe some BIOS options I came across after updating and messing with Thunderbolt (every suggestion is welcome)
-Replaced FakeSMC with VirtualSMC
-Started using 2 x Samsung 970 pro (one for Windows, installed in first Slot, other for OS X, installed in second Slot, third Slot empty as of now, been thinking about Chrome OS though)

EDIT: Verbose boot just gets stuck at loading the 80211 kext (sometimes, but almost rarely throws a KP), nothing else to grab on to, unfortunately

EDIT 2: edited list of changes

Last edited:
Safari and Chrome seem to be fine, I have no extensions that I've installed, I've only had the computer running for 3days - Firefox and Firefox developer version both do it?

I've been using the latest Firefox for about an hour across numerous websites and it has been completely stable. If you have a number of Firefox extensions, try disabling them. Is there a particular website that crashes the browser more regularly? Are Safari and Chrome stable?
This would seem to me to be a CPU drainage issue when using YouTube. It's happened on Safari and Firefox. There has to be a way to watch YouTube! I also do some video editing work so does worry me! Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back