Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

When installing Windows 10, physically remove the Mojave NVMe SSD and physically disconnect all internal SATA drives. Set: BIOS —> Windows 8/10 Features —> Windows 8/10 WHQL.
  • If you are installing Windows on an NVMe SSD, install that SSD in the top M2M slot.
  • After Windows has been fully installed, install the Mojave NVMe SSD in the bottom M2P slot. Then set: BIOS —> Windows 8/10 Features —> Other OS. Reconnect SATA drives.

What if I'm want to triple boot? I'm guessing Windows still first, but does it matter if Linux goes on M2M with Windows, or on M2P with Mojave? Are there any gotchas here? Does Linux install have to happen in a particular order, or at any time?

Is there any solution to triple boot from one single partitioned drive in M2M?

@CaseySJ have you tried OC-ing this build with MacOS? I want to OC it just once for the Geekbench score to at least prove the build's capability vs. any Mac on the market. If my calculation is right, my i9-9900 OC'd should be higher in single core and multi-core scores than any other Mac on the market (not speaking for any other crazy Hackintoshes).

Any special precautions? I've never OC'd before so want to make sure I understand all the red tape. I watched this guy but I think he may have done something wrong based on the fact that my Geekbench score was higher than his when he supposedly overclocked... I beat him by at least 100 in both categories running 3.6 and him "5.0"

Correct -- only Windows will use CNVi module. MacOS will only use Broadcom.

Sure.

Okay. In the components section, you wrote about the "Fenvi FV-T919". Do you recommend this currently or is there better choice out there with one of the mentioned Broadcom cards? That said I'm a beginner with hackintoshes....

Not sure, if I should buy either the BCM94360CD, BCM943602CS or BCM94360CS2 instead, because I could not really find a reliable source where to buy it from here in Germany and what exactly I need to install it and how.

Last edited:
@CaseySJ have you tried OC-ing this build with MacOS? I want to OC it just once for the Geekbench score to at least prove the build's capability vs. any Mac on the market. If my calculation is right, my i9-9900 OC'd should be higher in single core and multi-core scores than any other Mac on the market (not speaking for any other crazy Hackintoshes).

Any special precautions? I've never OC'd before so want to make sure I understand all the red tape. I watched this guy but I think he may have done something wrong based on the fact that my Geekbench score was higher than his when he supposedly overclocked... I beat him by at least 100 in both categories running 3.6 and him "5.0"

I'm not Casey, but I think I can help out with this one.
I'm running this build with a 9900K at 5.2GHz all-core (AVX Offset of 1) and it's rock-solid.

I've written about my overclocking experience in my build post which also contains some performance numbers to compare against as well as a link to the Overclocking Guide that Gigabyte supplies with their motherboards (It's actually Aorus, but that's a Gigabyte sub-brand and their BIOS is almost identical). Feel free to check that out to see how I got mine to 5.2GHz.

Fortunately yes -- the kexts and SSDTs should be compatible with High Sierra.

>> GREAT! And thanks for the fast reply.

That's odd. What firmware version is currently installed? F6? Is your memory certified for XMP 2.0? There should be no conflict between memory and either iGPU or dGPU. Memory should be installed in pairs (for the benefits of dual channel performance) and in the designated DIMM slots.

>> It's Corsair's memory CMK32GX4M2B3000C15. XMP 2.0 compatible. 4x16 Gb in the DIMM slots. I found a few posts online from people having the same problem, a solution could be to manually enter the voltage of the SA and something else but I'm a little hesitant about that.. It shouldn't be the 750 w PSU since my total demand is no more than 450 watts.

It's a really fun process if you go through it carefully (i.e. slowly)! :)

>> but also tricky if the PC is your workhorse! Thanks again!!!!

Okay. In the components section, you wrote about the "Fenvi FV-T919". Do you recommend this currently or is there better choice out there with one of the mentioned Broadcam cards? That said I'm a beginner with hackintoshes....

Not sure, if I should buy either the BCM94360CD, BCM943602CS or BCM94360CS2 instead, because I could not really find a reliable source where to buy it from here in Germany and what exactly I need to install it and how.
The Fenvi FV-T919 is a great plug-and-play solution. It's lower priced than BCM94360CD cards, but that does not mean it is slow or cheap. The 94360CD should offer higher performance at a higher price. Fenvi is a completely reliable and reputable firm, so if you are placing an international order, Fenvi would be virtually risk free.

I'm not Casey, but I think I can help out with this one.
I'm running this build with a 9900K at 5.2GHz all-core (AVX Offset of 1) and it's rock-solid.

I've written about my overclocking experience in my build post which also contains some performance numbers to compare against as well as a link to the Overclocking Guide that Gigabyte supplies with their motherboards (It's actually Aorus, but that's a Gigabyte sub-brand and their BIOS is almost identical). Feel free to check that out to see how I got mine to 5.2GHz.
@AlexComputerWiz,

Hats off to @byteminer for his post-installation writeup back in June. I have not experimented with overclocking at this time, so I defer this to the real experts...

What if I'm want to triple boot? I'm guessing Windows still first, but does it matter if Linux goes on M2M with Windows, or on M2P with Mojave? Are there any gotchas here? Does Linux install have to happen in a particular order, or at any time?

Is there any solution to triple boot from one single partitioned drive in M2M?
Please see this post by @faithie999:

Hey @CaseySJ, just checking:

My UHD 630 iGPU is not showing up in Geekbench for OpenCL compute benchmark. I can only test my VEGA 64. is that normal?

Hi CaseySJ,
thanks for the responce.
I will try again.
Hi CaseySJ,
I've tried it several times but without any success.
It will not generate the patch.
Here are some screenshots from my system.
Maybe you can help me.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-07-15 at 17.48.50.png
    Screenshot 2019-07-15 at 17.48.50.png
    103.1 KB · Views: 64
  • Screenshot 2019-07-15 at 17.49.09.png
    Screenshot 2019-07-15 at 17.49.09.png
    110.2 KB · Views: 64
  • Screenshot 2019-07-15 at 17.49.20.png
    Screenshot 2019-07-15 at 17.49.20.png
    111.6 KB · Views: 56
  • Screenshot 2019-07-15 at 17.49.34.png