Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Some suggestions:
  • Update to latest BIOS and configure BIOS parameters.
  • Which procedure or guide did you follow to create your USB install disk?
  • Have you seen this guide? It looks quite good...

I followed your install USB procedure (ignoring the Thunderbolt part for BIOS as my motherboard doesn't have TB), including modding the Config as per your guide. I've updated the BIOS version for my motherboard to F12 (F13 was out but kept causing the PC to not post from time to time so I reverted back to F12) and tried again and the same issue occurred. I'll try again with various different BIOS versions, along with trying different guides as well. Thanks!

Hello @CaseySJ, I followed the steps on Going the extra mile and settled with iMac19,1 with iGPU enabled. The situation with Vega improved a little. I have a small doubt though: If I completed the section Injecting Audio and Enabling On-Board HDMI, is it also necesary to specify ig-platform-id for WEG when choosing a final SMBIOS in Going the extra mile?

Thanks!
Because you have a Vega 64, it is best to keep the system in headless mode where iGPU will be enabled for compute operations, but will not drive a display monitor. In BIOS, IGFX must be set to Enabled. And then we can use Hackintool to set Platform ID 0x3E980003 as described here (and therefore ignore "Injecting Audio and Enabling On-Board HDMI"):

Thanks. But would it help? My software is up to date. The Thunderbolt hot plug SSDT (v4) is installed along with SSDT-DTPG.aml. -It didn't do the trick so I'm back to using another one that KGP wrote.
After a year of dealing this, I think that hot re-powerup is a dead end for UAD Apollo 8 users that are using a TB3 add-in card. I've used many different patches on many different (system def) builds. Just now I realized that if hot-swap/power-swap for UAD Apollo 8 (Thunderbolt 2 rackmount equipment which is externally powered) really did work, then I could simply boot my system and snap on the power. When I do this in Windows on a real Mac Mini, a little window pops up and displays "Connecting to 'Apollo 8' "

The unit works great in the hack, but you have to power it up before computer boot. It's not a deal-breaker, it's just an annoyance. Maybe it has to do with the Thunderbolt (local?) Node (from post #1) being interrupted by the power flip, breaking the driver connection until the computer is power-cycled. I made a video, but Ican't upload it here. Anywa, it was worth a try. Thanks.
Ah, I forgot you have a different motherboard and a Thunderbolt add-in-card. Technically speaking there are two parts of Thunderbolt that are still missing on Hackintosh:
  • Thunderbolt Local Node (managed by IOReg device ThunderboltLocalNode)
  • Thunderbolt Bus (managed by IOReg device ThunderboltPort)
Whereas Local Node is for connecting two Macs over a Thunderbolt cable in order to share resources, Thunderbolt Bus enumerates devices connected over Thunderbolt to create a Thunderbolt Device Tree.
  • In System Information --> USB we see the USB Device Tree.
  • In System Information --> SATA/SATA Express we see the SATA-ATA Device Tree.
  • In System Information --> Thunderbolt we expect to see Thunderbolt Device Tree only if ThunderboltPort in IOReg is properly activated.
I have a feeling that if we can get ThunderboltPort to work -- and hence Thunderbolt Bus -- then we'll see better compatibility with Thunderbolt devices and drivers.

New Update - F7 - Z390 - Official Web Site Gigabyte:

Z390-DESIGNARE-rev-10
It is available from several international sites, but Gigabyte’s US site does not have it yet. Should be coming very soon.

F7 fixes a medium-level security exploit in the CPU microcode.

If you choose to update the firmware:
  • If you unlocked the MSR 0xE2 register, it would be advisable to lock it first.
  • After the update, follow the MSR unlocking mini guide again to determine whether the setup var address has changed.
Updating the firmware is not generally recommended unless there’s a compelling reason.

I've been having random system hangs and audio glitches with this build, like apps hang when I open them for a second.

Hello @CaseySJ ,

I bought a Fenvi Wifi/Bluetooth PCIe card but it's not detected by macOS.
I plug the card on the PCIe_1 slot, and the card is available in the BIOS.

Did I have to do something with the kext ?

Hi I'm getting this panic every time I start up. I have to switch the machine off and on.
Can someone help please?

Attachments

• IMG_2531-1.jpg
    IMG_2531-1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 74
I've been having random system hangs and audio glitches with this build, like apps hang when I open them for a second.
The standard diagnostic approach applies here:
  • Did these system hangs and audio glitches occur when the system was first built and configured?
  • Or did the problems begin at some later time. If so, for how long was the system stable in the beginning?
    • For a few days?
    • For a few weeks?
    • For a few months?
  • Do you recall when exactly these problems began?
    • Do you recall what was done to the system just prior to this?
    • Were any new devices installed inside the system?
    • Were any new devices connected to external USB or Thunderbolt ports?
    • Were new software applications installed recently?
    • Were any new drivers installed (kexts)?
  • Is there any pattern that you can observe?
    • Is there any set of operations that always lead to the problem?
    • Does the problem happen with equal frequency in all applications or only in certain applications?
  • Have you examined the system log for any clues. For example, in Terminal we can type:
    • log show --predicate "processID == 0" --start "2019-07-09" | grep Error | more
    • log show --info --debug --start "2019-07-09" | grep Error | more
    • You may replace "2019-07-09" with an appropriate start date (YYYY-MM-DD).
More Desperate Measures: :)
  • Get a 256GB 2.5" SATA SSD and a USB 3.0 SSD enclosure.
  • Install Mojave from scratch on the external SSD.
  • Do not sign in to iCloud.
  • Do not install any of your apps -- just use the built-in apps.
  • This is your baseline.
  • Is the system stable?
  • Is audio playback normal through iTunes or YouTube via Safari browser?
  • Keep testing for a week to ensure that the baseline system remains stable.
Report your findings...

Hi I'm getting this panic every time I start up. I have to switch the machine off and on.
Can someone help please?
Please see More Desperate Measures above.

Back