Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hi Casey. So I followed these instructions up to Reset CMOS the easy way and that seems to have worked. I haven't experienced the same problem again, and hopefully it will stay that way.

Is there somewhere I can read about why this worked/why it was a possible solution? I'd like to understand that, given that fixes that involve literally unplugging it and plugging it back in aren't very satisfying. :)
Anecdotal observations suggest that after a complete power down, the motherboard's firmware performs a more exhaustive restart procedure. One step in the procedure appears to be a full scan for any hardware changes that might have taken place. As a result, any 'state of the system' parameters stored in CMOS are removed and re-created. This has the effect of "detoxifying" a number of corrupted system state parameters.

And now for a few questions about getting more info when troubleshooting:

I've experienced 3 or so kernel panics when starting up that have all been remedied by just shutting my machine off and trying to boot again. While I did take a picture of my screen the last time it happened, the string before the line about reporting the panic to apple was "@kec.Libm 1". If/when this happens again, where can I find the whole log? I haven't seen anything in /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports referencing a panic.

One other time my whole system froze and I had to force shutdown. When I booted back up I also looked in the same folder for any logs that may have been generated but found none. Is there anything else I could be doing to gain more insight?
Whenever we install or remove any device connected to the motherboard (SATA hard drive, NVMe M.2 drive, PCIe cards, USB devices connected to F_USB header) we must not only shut down, but remove the power cable (or flip the power switch on the power supply). Failure to do so can corrupt the firmware's state information.

If the system freezes during use, that is a different problem and may be due to the application you were using at the time, or it may be due to a device driver for a connected peripheral.

Hi, I am now having to unplug my machine for a minute or so in order to get it to start with video output. Sometimes it takes several attempts to get the video output back on.
Also after a while I lose the ability to click with the mouse or trackpad. I have to press the power button to shutdown.
I noticed that the device id key is missing in the config.plist>devices>properties pane. I did try to fix this before.
That first entry in the Devices* box is erroneous and must be deleted. The second entry is correct, and that's the only one needed. Please try again after making this change.

Edit: Correction!! Regarding the first entry in Devices* box, simply fix the typo in that field:

PCIRoot

should be changed to

PciRoot

Notice the upper/lower case letters.

And change AAPL,ig-platform-id from:

0300923E

to

0300983E

Last edited:
Hi CaseySJ,

Regarding the "headless mode", i found 2 method to set it in this thread. which one should i follow?

Method 1 (in the spoiler of Final cut pro section)

Solution 2: This will place the iGPU in headless mode, where the internal GPU (iGPU) is still enabled for compute tasks, but will not display a video signal. Therefore a discrete graphics card (PCIe GPU) is necessary for connecting your monitor. Use Clover Configurator 5.3.2.0 or later to make these changes to your config.plist:

• SMBIOS: Use either iMac18,3 or iMacPro1,1.
  • Devices: IntelGFX = 0x0
  • Devices: Devices* = PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0)
    Properties:
    • Key = framebuffer-patch-enable | Value = 01000000 | Type = Data
    • Key = AAPL,ig-platform-id | Value = 0300923E | Type = Data (you may also try 0300913E)
    • Key = device-id | Value = 9B3E0000 | Type = Data
  • Graphics: FB Name = Orinoco (only for RX580)
  • Graphics: ig-platform-id = <make sure this is empty>
  • Graphics: Inject Intel = false
  • Graphics: Inject ATI = false
Save config.plist and reboot. Your settings should look like this:

Method 2 (Extra mile section)

If you're running 10.14.5, then Method 2 is preferred. I added a red note to that section yesterday:

Screen Shot 2019-06-30 at 11.37.19 AM.png

@wickett,

Please see revised post #5314 above. Apologies for the initial error.

Hi, I am now having to unplug my machine for a minute or so in order to get it to start with video output. Sometimes it takes several attempts to get the video output back on.
Also after a while I lose the ability to click with the mouse or trackpad. I have to press the power button to shutdown.
Please try the attached version -- the previous file must be moved out of the CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder. This file sets HS11 to Type 255 (Internal).
Ok Will do Thanks very much

• Replaced the patch but sleep is still not working. The machine still powers back on.
  • I think my config.plist>devices configuration is incorrect. (See attached) Maybe this is causing it?
  • Also I did update the clover configurator

Attachments

• Sample of mds.txt
    285.1 KB · Views: 192
  • Sample of nsurlsessiond.txt
    48.9 KB · Views: 79
  • Screenshot 2019-06-30 at 7.41.13 pm.png
    Screenshot 2019-06-30 at 7.41.13 pm.png
    275.5 KB · Views: 100
  • Screenshot 2019-06-30 at 7.41.55 pm.png
    Screenshot 2019-06-30 at 7.41.55 pm.png
    129.6 KB · Views: 118
  • Screenshot 2019-06-30 at 7.38.51 pm.png
    Screenshot 2019-06-30 at 7.38.51 pm.png
    948.3 KB · Views: 111
  • Screenshot 2019-06-30 at 7.20.03 pm.png
    Screenshot 2019-06-30 at 7.20.03 pm.png
    173.7 KB · Views: 124
  • Screenshot 2019-06-30 at 7.19.38 pm.png
    Screenshot 2019-06-30 at 7.19.38 pm.png
    161.3 KB · Views: 116
  • Replaced the patch but sleep is still not working. The machine still powers back on.
  • I think my config.plist>devices configuration is incorrect. (See attached) Maybe this is causing it?
  • Also I did update the clover configurator
Please see Post #5314 to fix graphics configuration! There is a critical error that needs to be fixed.

Regarding sleep, as soon as the system wakes from sleep or fails to enter sleep, run Terminal and capture the output from this command:

pmset -g assertions

Very interesting. This is sounding like a hardware problem. Do you have Windows or Linux on this machine? If so, do you get the same problem with those operating systems?

Also, have you tried a complete shutdown (i.e. shutdown and remove power cable for 10 seconds)?

It's actually only started since I injected your dsdt :) So I think I can rule out hardware. Also doesn't happen in windows. It is a bit odd.

Yes! Because new posts raise notifications. Because DP on the RX580 is not working in both MacOS and Windows, it points to something more nefarious. What is the make/model of the card? Was it purchased new? If not, was it used for crypto currency mining and might still have a modified VBIOS?
Hi @bartrap, just my two cents worth, my RX 580's have a video BIOS switch. It is very small and easily overlooked. Is it in the right position, as I one mode (position) is for normal display, the other optimized for OpenCL Compute Unit GPU use.

Yes! Because new posts raise notifications. Because DP on the RX580 is not working in both MacOS and Windows, it points to something more nefarious. What is the make/model of the card? Was it purchased new? If not, was it used for crypto currency mining and might still have a modified VBIOS?

Ha thanks; I will not edit my replies then but reply like this; the RX580 is indeed 2nd hand; I do not know what it was used for previously. I will try to see what Vbois is in there and see if needed I can flash it back to the original. A pity I can't get the UHD630 DP port to work in a normal way; but on the other hand it might be wiser to keep the RX580 after all...

Back