Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Understood. Very good localization of the problem.

As I recall, you initially received a bad DIMM and had it replaced. Have you always used Corsair LPX 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MHz C16 DDR4?

Do you happen to have another 2 DIMMs of any capacity, even 2 x 4GB DIMMs (as long as they are DDR4)? Can you borrow a couple DIMMs from another computer?

Reason: To determine whether this particular Corsair model has an issue or if your motherboard might have an issue. If another pair of DIMMs (ideally another pair of 2 x 16GB DIMMs) works, then we can blame the Corsair. Otherwise we may have to blame the motherboard or its firmware.

Good memory! Yes, this is my second pair of Corsair RAM. I'm running memtest again and it's finding errors on one stick of ram. I'm not sure why it passed before.

Unfortunately I don't have an extra pair. The return window on Amazon has passed so hopefully Corsair can help me out.

Good memory! Yes, this is my second pair of Corsair RAM. I'm running memtest again and it's finding errors on one stick of ram. I'm not sure why it passed before.

Unfortunately I don't have an extra pair. The return window on Amazon has passed so hopefully Corsair can help me out.
Well well!!

Screen Shot 2019-06-25 at 2.38.38 PM.png

I my opinion this is the Best Guide/Help thread that I've come across since my initial X58 build 10 years ago!Great job CaseSJ! and all others who have been meticulously documenting there issues, solutions, tips etc.

@NoiseCoalition There is a YouTuber whose claiming that the Beta Bios F6_n of this board has better memory support so I don't know if you want to try that route? Also she claims everything is stock and her geek score rose to 40,000 after the update with everything at stock settings.When I checked they have already moved onto F7 though.I'm quite interested because if I get the funds together for a new build this MB is what I'll be going especially due to the onboard Thunderbolt...Bless

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Catalina!
Screen Shot 2019-06-25 at 6.58.08 PM.png

What this Means:
  • Obviously, it means Catalina will run on the Designare Z390.
  • When the release version becomes available in autumn, there's a good chance that in-place upgrade will work. So we should be able to invoke System Preferences --> Software Update.
Caution:
  • Do not install Catalina Public Beta on your main Mojave SSD. This is an early beta. It slices. It dices. It crashes. And it's slow.
  • My copy is installed onto a spare SATA SSD connected via an external USB 3 enclosure. I had a fresh copy of Mojave 10.14.5 on this disk already, so I simply ran the Public Beta Access Utility and performed an in-place upgrade.
  • It took quite a while to install. There were long periods of dead-wait when I thought the installation had frozen, but it went through.
  • If using a discrete GPU, switch to HDMI connection. DisplayPort output might go blank as it did for me.
Updates:
  • 26 June 2019:
    • The public beta has been completely stable thus far in (limited) testing.
    • Downloaded source code for Lilu / WhateverGreen from GitHub and quickly compiled the projects in Xcode. These as yet unreleased updates contain modifications for 10.15.
    • By default the system loads ATY,RadeonFramebuffer, which seems to disable DisplayPort output. Using Clover Configurator, making the following change fixes (or band-aids) the problem for the time being. This invokes ATY,Orinoco and restores DisplayPort.
      Screen Shot 2019-06-26 at 8.03.55 PM.png
  • 10 July 2019:
    • I wiped out this spare SSD and reinstalled Catalina from scratch. The result is much better. No need for ATY,RadeonFramebuffer modification. All ports on RX 580 are okay.
    • Use the latest Lilu 1.3.7+ and WhateverGreen 1.3.0+ kexts.

Last edited:
I just followed the guide. So far everything that I have tested is working just fine (Bluetooth is via USB IOGear adapter). But worthy of note is that my Apollo Twin Duo Mk1 works with a Apple Thunderbolt TB2 to TB3 adapter.

I was totally expecting that it wouldn't work as it's a MK1, and so is supposed to be TB1 only. So that was a welcome surprise.

Your laptop's Thunderbolt controller is attached to PCI0.RP05, which is the same as Designare Z390. So the Thunderbolt SSDT should work -- but you must also copy SSDT-DTPG.aml into the CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder.

These 2 files should be copied to CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder:
  • SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-TB3HP-V4.aml
  • SSDT-DTPG.aml
Has been set up according to your prompts, I will find a TBT dock or TBT SSD for the testing.
Thanks again.

Attachments

• kuque’s MacBook Pro.ioreg
    10.5 MB · Views: 211
I made a handful of changes to config.plist:
  • ACPI --> PluginType --> Enabled
  • Graphics --> Inject Intel --> Disabled
  • SMBIOS --> Trust --> Enabled
The only one that might have an impact (no guarantees) is item #2. Because iMacPro 1,1 cannot use IGPU (Intel Xeon CPU in iMac Pro does not have built-in IGPU), we cannot use "Inject Intel".

Hey, sadly the changes had no effect.

i attached a video of the issue down below. maybe someone is familiar with it.

Attachments

• Screen Recording 2019-06-26 at 14.19.38.zip
    26.3 MB · Views: 305
I made a handful of changes to config.plist:
  • ACPI --> PluginType --> Enabled
  • Graphics --> Inject Intel --> Disabled
  • SMBIOS --> Trust --> Enabled
The only one that might have an impact (no guarantees) is item #2. Because iMacPro 1,1 cannot use IGPU (Intel Xeon CPU in iMac Pro does not have built-in IGPU), we cannot use "Inject Intel".

Problem Solved!

Looks like our Setup dosen't like Mad Catz R.A.T. 9 Mouses.

After 9 reboots, it still works as it should.

Thank you very much for your effort!

You may share your Paypal account to monitor how much "thank you" i got...

Problem Solved!

Looks like our Setup dosen't like Mad Catz R.A.T. 9 Mouses.

After 9 reboots, it still works as it should.

Thank you very much for your effort!

You may share your Paypal account to monitor how much "thank you" i got...
Glad to hear it and I’ll note this in the build guide!

Thank you for the PayPal sentiment, but there is absolutely no money involved! We are volunteers who simply enjoy participating in the community. (You are, however, quite welcome to donate to the site itself via the Contribute button at the top left of the page.)

Last edited:
I just followed the guide, so far everything that I have tested is working just fine (bluetooth is via usb iogear adapter). But worthy of note is that my Apollo Twin Duo Mk1 works with a Apple Thunderbolt TB2 to TB3 adapter.

I was totally expecting that it wouldn't work as it's a MK1 and so is supposed to be TB1 only so that was a welcome surprise.
Thank you -- the Apollo Twin Duo Mk1 has been added to Thunderbolt 3 Experiences.

Back