Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I installed the latest kexts and it still does it. The display will only be delayed when the power supply is shut off entirely and then turned back on. If you shutdown the computer and then turn it back on without killing the power (with a power strip) it works fine. Why is that?
When you shut the power completely (flip switch on power supply, flip switch on power strip, pull cable from the wall) and restart, the firmware rescans the systems for any new PCIe, NVMe, USB, and other devices that might have been installed onto the motherboard. It should only take a few extra seconds.

When you shut the power completely (flip switch on power supply, flip switch on power strip, pull cable from the wall) and restart, the firmware rescans the systems for any new PCIe, NVMe, USB, and other devices that might have been installed onto the motherboard. It should only take a few extra seconds.

That's what I assumed. I told him to leave the PC plugged in the wall and put the peripherals on the power strip (so he can shutoff his monitor/speakers, etc.) and that solved the issue, but I don't understand why that would happen.

Because you installed Windows, perhaps you set BIOS --> Windows 8/10 Features to Windows 8/10 or Windows 8/10 WHQL? If so, have you changed it back to Other OS?
Hi, yes, I have changed it back and forth, tried enabling CSM too.

Very weird issue. Will try to wipe some cache etc, and then revert to my old efi to see how things go. Weird thing is that the identical clone on the usb3 works butter smooth!

Yes it works properly and consistently. Continuity refers to the family of functions shown below. (Link)

View attachment 412825

The Fenvi FV-T919 is the preferred WiFi/BT card.

Thanks. All of this works, except handoff. I probably don't understand what it is supposed to do. Haven't tried Apple Pay.

Hello @johnnyebasta,

Have you installed HWMonitor app through MultiBeast or separately from BitBucket?

If CPU temp and other parameters are not being shown by HWMonitor or iStat Menus, please check the following:
  • FakeSMC should be copied to both EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other and /Library/Extensions.
  • FakeSMC sensor kexts should be copied to /Library/Extensions.
    • FakeSMC_ACPISensors
    • FakeSMC_CPUSensors
    • FakeSMC_GPUSensors
    • FakeSMC_LPCSensors
    • FakeSMC_SMMSensors
  • In Clover Configurator, check that System Parameters --> Inject Kexts is set to Detect
  • When adding, removing or replacing files in /Library/Extensions, always run Kext Utility to rebuild the kernel cache.
  • No other SMC kext or driver should be installed. If you have any of the following, delete them:
    • VirtualSMC.kext in CLOVER/kexts/Other folder
    • VirtualSMC.efi in CLOVER/drivers64UEFI folder
The onboard HDMI port only supports HDMI 1.4, which means a maximum of 4K at 30Hz. But the two Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) ports on the back support full 4K 60Hz. If your monitor supports DisplayPort 1.2, simply use a USB-C to DisplayPort cable such as this one.

Unfortunately, my display only has HDMI :( Thanks anyway.

Installed the app via MultiBeast. I followed the procedure you described and copied all the fakeSMC kext in both destinations. Dunno why it it doesn't show the CPU temp.

The other strange thing that I am experiencing is a "SHORT BT" range. I mean my keyboard (Logitech K380) is working just 30cm from the PCIe BT board...if I go any farther, it loses the connection. Any ideas??
The BT/WiFi board was working just fine on my previous build with MSI B250 and Mojave 10.14.3. Now I am on Z390 and 10.14.4.

Thank you for your support.

I'm brand new to this board so please take what I say with a grain of salt. I can say your BIOS settings are the same as mine so that's good. I will tell you, you won't see anything listed under Thunderbolt in the "System Report" section. You should, however see your Thunderbolt 3 reported in PCI (see attached).

also I have been told the SSDT-DTPG and the SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-TB3HP are part of getting Thunderbolt 3 working with hot swap.

I hope this helps a little.

Thank you so much. This gave me some insight that it does work, indeed.

On Hackintosh we have so far been unable to activate a feature of Thunderbolt known as the Thunderbolt Local Node. Without this, we cannot connect two Macs together. Hence, Target Disk Mode, Target Display Mode, and Thunderbolt Ethernet Bridge will not work.

But the Samsung X5 should not give you any trouble. Your CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder seems okay, but you have 2 SSDTs that we don’t use:
  • SSDT-PMCR
  • SSDT-OSI
To troubleshoot the Samsung X5 issue, please connect the drive and run IORegistryExplorer and select File —> Save As... to save the IOReg file. Upload this file. It will show us which USB/Thunderbolt ports are in use, and what devices are connected (if any).

Thank you CaseySJ

After removing the SSDTs you told me of, SSDT-PMCR and SSDT-XOSI, the Samsung X5 worked.
I did use clover before, but I have been using OpenCore for the last 3 weeks. Works great.

I have attached iOReg and some pictures, if you still want to check it.

EDIT:

I know I'm using iMac Pro 1,1 SMBIOS. I'm planning to change it to iMac 19,1.

Attachments

• MuffinCrumbs.zip
    2.5 MB · Views: 204
Hi, yes, I have changed it back and forth, tried enabling CSM too.

Very weird issue. Will try to wipe some cache etc, and then revert to my old efi to see how things go. Weird thing is that the identical clone on the usb3 works butter smooth!
Yes very strange. I have Windows 10 running quite well in M2M, and macOS in M2P. The recent Windows May 2019 Feature Update (build 1903) went through without any EFI interference. And Windows is able to use the Intel CNVi WiFi/BT card without being stumped by the Fenvi FV-T919.

I am rather pleasantly surprised by how well both operating systems are getting along in this dual-boot configuration.

Last edited:
Thanks. All of this works, except handoff. I probably don't understand what it is supposed to do. Haven't tried Apple Pay.
Probably too obvious, but have you enabled this:
Screen Shot 2019-06-24 at 6.49.57 AM.png
When I'm using Safari on my iPhone, I will see this on the Mac's dock:

Screen Shot 2019-06-24 at 6.56.38 AM.png

This allows Safari on iPhone to hand-off the current webpage to Safari on the Mac. Numerous other Apps (Keynote, Pages, Numbers, etc.) do this as well.

Unfortunately, my display only has HDMI :( Thanks anyway.
If your monitor supports HDMI 2.0 (4K at 60Hz), an adapter such as this might work (supports 4K60):
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EDT0072/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Installed the app via MultiBeast. I followed the procedure you described and copied all the fakeSMC kext in both destinations. Dunno why it it doesn't show the CPU temp.
To troubleshoot this, please post:
  • Screenshot of HWMonitor window
  • Screenshot of /Library/Extensions folder
  • Screenshot of Clover Configurator --> System Configuration page after opening your config.plist
The other strange thing that I am experiencing is a "SHORT BT" range. I mean my keyboard (Logitech K380) is working just 30cm from the PCIe BT board...if I go any farther, it loses the connection. Any ideas??
The BT/WiFi board was working just fine on my previous build with MSI B250 and Mojave 10.14.3. Now I am on Z390 and 10.14.4.
  • Most of us have better experience with the Fenvi FV-T919, so that's another option.
  • Additionally, you may connect the antenna that came with the Designare motherboard to the bottom 2 antenna connectors on your WiFi PCIe card. You may also purchase a separate high-quality antenna from a third-party. The bluetooth antenna on your PCIe card is labeled.

Last edited:
Thank you so much. This gave me some insight that it does work, indeed.

Thank you CaseySJ

After removing the SSDTs you told me of, SSDT-PMCR and SSDT-XOSI, the Samsung X5 worked.
I did use clover before, but I have been using OpenCore for the last 3 weeks. Works great.

I have attached iOReg and some pictures, if you still want to check it.

EDIT:

I know I'm using iMac Pro 1,1 SMBIOS. I'm planning to change it to iMac 19,1.
The Samsung X5 disk speed performance is phenomenal for an externally connected Thunderbolt device! Over 2800MB/s read!

iMacPro 1,1 actually gets you faster rendering speed in A/V apps such as Final Cut Pro X. If you're not a FCPX user then switching to iMac19,1 may be okay. But I would only switch if you find that something is broken...

Back