Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

After 15 years of pretty happily buying Apple hardware, I completed my first Hackintosh based on this post and the amazing job @CaseySJ has done in supporting it.

Mostly this is a praise thread for the amazing level of detail and support that @CaseySJ provide -- As someone just above me pointed out I think my post is #4,938 and he's still helping... Amazing! My sincerest thanks go out to you.

I'll like to write detailed logs for posterity sake and I'll probably post something later but let me say in short I purchased most of the items new from Amazon -- I deviated in a few areas that don't matter (I chose the NXZT H700 case and the Noctua DH15S CPU cooler, for instance, my memory and SSD were also just doing some general googling for things that fit my needs/bill but beyond that, for items that really seem to matter, I purchased as recommended. That means
  • Designare MB (Obviously)
  • Vega 56 graphics
  • I9-9900K CPU
  • Wifi/BT card from the recommended parts list (a PCIe x1 adapter and a little Broadcom module -- it 'just worked')

The install provided is quite detailed -- you have to go through it carefully and read everything carefully -- I missed some checkboxes the first time and forgot to set up my bios properly but when I slowed down a bit and methodically go through (the instructions are super detailed) it's almost foolproof.

I say almost because there were a few steps that had change from the guide -- for instsance, the debug flag in boot options is now a checkbox, the USB workaround is shown as 3 things to disable, now it's 4. That kind of thing -- if you are calm and modestly careful though it's pretty easy to work through.

As I said I'll avoid keeping this any longer -- I'll be writing up my entire thoughts and perhaps posting but for now I wanted to leave just a few thoughts:

1. The guide recommends 'slide=0' in boot options -- I found a problem at boot with this about 'couldn't allocate' or some such -- getting rid of that boot option makes everything work fine
  2. I have a problem with the iGPU (using iMac 19,1). Initially final cut wouldn't run, I disabled the iGPU in bios but now I can't preview or quicklook jpg files (seriously) - I assume it's related to jpg decoding and I'll go back tonight and carefully look at how I'm configuring the GPU to see if perhaps I missed something
  3. That's it -- everything is working perfectly as far as I can tell -- iMessage, app store, airdrop, etc. Super stable and super fast (except for the aforementioned jpg viewing problem)

Again thanks to @CaseySJ for his amazing work.

John

So I've been able to successfully connect a couple 1st gen UA interfaces which have Thunderbolt 1; these include the Apollo 16 and Apollo Twin.

I'm thinking that the recent F6 BIOS update is allowing for this?

Would like to receive confirmation from any of my fellow owners of this great motherboard!

Typo.... I tried Sata port 3 & 5
Then just for kicks I unplugged the samsung 860 ssd's attached to the side of the case & tried that & no go (they were on 2&4)
Then just to be really thorough I used an external sata to usb cable & plugged that into the usb....
This is really odd.... I'll post back when I find a solution

I'm assuming all 6 onboard sata ports are 6gb & backwards compatible as I tried the 6gb connector & 3gb & then the sata to usb...
Please keep these restrictions in mind:
full

Please keep these restrictions in mind:
full

i did keep that in mind. With the M2P slot the Sata 1 is disabled.

So now the fun part. I had this 3 tb hdd in an old iomega mac companion case with FW800 & usb.
The onboard chips must have done something, because the moment I remove the hdd & use a sata to usb even on the old imac, it cannot recognize the hdd.
The moment I plug it back in the enclosure & all my data is there intact....whew....

Off to see if I have another hdd to make a clone of a clone so the new machine can restore ...and phone home :D

As I said I'll avoid keeping this any longer -- I'll be writing up my entire thoughts and perhaps posting but for now I wanted to leave just a few thoughts:

1. The guide recommends 'slide=0' in boot options -- I found a problem at boot with this about 'couldn't allocate' or some such -- getting rid of that boot option makes everything work fine
  2. I have a problem with the iGPU (using iMac 19,1). Initially final cut wouldn't run, I disabled the iGPU in bios but now I can't preview or quicklook jpg files (seriously) - I assume it's related to jpg decoding and I'll go back tonight and carefully look at how I'm configuring the GPU to see if perhaps I missed something
  3. That's it -- everything is working perfectly as far as I can tell -- iMessage, app store, airdrop, etc. Super stable and super fast (except for the aforementioned jpg viewing problem)
Thank you for sharing your experience and welcome to the forum! Let me make some comments about the first 2 points:
  1. slide=0 should work perfectly every time if the only memory driver in drivers64UEFI folder is OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi. If you have AptioMemoryFix-64.efi and/or OsxAptioFix3Drv.efi, they should be deleted.
  2. The standard post-installation procedure sets up the system in non-headless mode in which the iGPU will drive a display monitor. But as mentioned in the opening paragraphs of Going the Extra Mile, we should switch to "headless" platform ID 0x3E980003 in order to use Final Cut Pro and iMovie.

i did keep that in mind. With the M2P slot the Sata 1 is disabled.

So now the fun part. I had this 3 tb hdd in an old iomega mac companion case with FW800 & usb.
The onboard chips must have done something, because the moment I remove the hdd & use a sata to usb even on the old imac, it cannot recognize the hdd.
The moment I plug it back in the enclosure & all my data is there intact....whew....

Off to see if I have another hdd to make a clone of a clone so the new machine can restore ...and phone home :D
Some third party enclosures may be encrypting or password-protecting the disk. Several WD Passport drives, for example, use the WD Locker app which password-protects the disk.

Allright. I need to enable iGPU in BIOS, not use auto. Then Hackintool patching works, and I have some form of hardware video en/decoding. But as I mentioned before, I now have a minute of extra black screen before I get to the login screen?
The latest versions of Lilu (1.3.6) and WhateverGreen (1.2.9) should help.

Last edited:
If VDA Decoder is functional, please try Intel Power Gadget again. The Sony Camp 4K Demo might be able to move that pesky green line (unless the AMD GPU takes over completely)!

Fake ID appears in the Devices page of Clover Configurator. This is used to spoof the iGPU device ID, which is different from the Intel Graphics Platform ID or ig-plaform-id that is specified in the Graphics page of Clover Configurator.

Whaddya know the man is a genius... (see screenshot)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-06-17 at 21.35.08.png
    Screenshot 2019-06-17 at 21.35.08.png
    9.7 MB · Views: 109
Allright. I need to enable iGPU in BIOS, not use auto. Then Hackintool patching works, and I have some form of hardware video en/decoding. But as I mentioned before, I now have a minute of extra black screen before I get to the login screen?

I'm seeing the same delay when I boot with the "AAPL,ig-platform-id 0300983E", Get about 30 seconds of black screen between verbose log and login. When I go back to "0300923E", then it boots quickly again. Maybe that is just how it has to be?

The latest versions of Lilu (1.3.6) and WhateverGreen (1.2.9) should help.

Argh, just saw this reply after my last post. Updated to Lilu 1.3.6 (from 1.3.4) and it fixes the boot delay with the ig-platform. Thanks Casey!

Back