Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hi,
I'm trying to build a multiboot system on my new build based on the Gigabyte Z390 Designare.
I have already installed macOS Mojave on a NVMe PCIe SSD (Samsung 870 EVO 500GB) on the M.2 M2P connector
Later I tried to install Windows 10 PRO on a second nvme pcie SSD (Samsung 970 PRO 512GB) on the M.2 M2M:

- both SSDs NVMe PCIe connected
- UEFI BIOS: Windows 8/10 Features -> Windows 8/10, CSM Support -> Enabled
- created a Windows 10 USB installer with Rufus according to this guide:
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-create-windows-10-usb-bootable-media-uefi
support#create_windows10_uefi_rufus

- initialized the target NVMe PCIe SSD (970 PRO) using disk utility (GPT/HFS + journaled) in macOS Mojave
- After boot from the Windows 10 USB installer, I deleted the HFS+ partition previously created by disk utility in Mojave (preserving the EFI partition)
- selected for Windows 10 installation the unallocated space

Unfortunately, after the first stage, the installation process was interrupted with the error message:

"Windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase of installation. To install Windows, restart the installation"

Restarting the installation process there are the following partition on the target drive:

Unit 0 Partition 1: EFI
Unit 0 Partition 2: Recovery
Unit 0 Partition 3:
Unit 0 Partition 4: MSR (Reserved)
Unit 0 Partition 2: Primary

but it is not impossible to resume the installation trying to format the Primary Partition :

"Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing partition"

How can i solve this problem?
Thanks in advance for Your help
Welcome to Windows, where the more things change the more they stay the same! :)

I was able to overcome this problem by:
  • Physically removing my Mojave NVMe SSD.
  • Disconnecting the SATA data and power cables from all internal SATA drives.
Windows installation went smoothly afterwards.

Update:
I finally got it working. The issue was in BIOS to my suprise.
I had the Power -> CEC 2019 Ready option enabled from the time I was playing with it. It was fine for iMac18,3 and iMacPro1,1 and Macmini8,1 but for some reason causing panic for iMac19,1. Now with the option disabled I can boot into Mac and have it defined as iMac19,1, yay.
I have attached fresh set of EFI. I'd attach ioreg file as well but it shows my new and registered serial number and not sure how to remove it from the file.
Good job! It would have been very difficult for me to identify that BIOS parameter as the cause. Sometimes it just takes a bit of creative experimentation.

If I may, can I ask some other questions?
My graphic card is installed in PCIEX4 (in BIOS as SLOT2), which is the most bottom slot, as I can not fit all the PCI cards in if I have it in the top position, SLOT 1. In BIOS Initial display output is set as SLOT 2. It seems to be working fine in Windows and seems to be shown fine in System Report. But some applications, like VideoProc, Hackintool are showing the Intel 630. Is that expected or do I have something wrong setup?
While there’s nothing functionally wrong with this, when multiple GPUs are present some apps prioritize one GPU over the other(s). They often do this by alphabetizing the names of all GPUs and picking the first one. Your GPUs are probably named like this:
  • Intel UHD 630
  • Radeon RX 570
Because “I” comes before “R”, apps such as VideoProc will pick the “Intel UHD 630”. If you want to reverse this, you can rename the “Radeon RX 570” to “AMD Radeon RX 570”.

See the guide below for instructions. If you need help after attempting the guide feel free to ask here.

Hi! I can't get Preview working. Any advice please?

Is it OK to update to 10.14.5?
Are you asking whether it’s okay to update to 10.14.5 knowing that Preview is not functional in 10.14.4? If that’s the question, the answer is yes it’s okay to update nevertheless.

Regarding Preview itself, a lot depends on whether IGFX is enabled in BIOS, whether you’re using SMBIOS Macmini8,1 or something else, and the Platform ID specified in Clover Configurator —> Devices —> Properties. It would be good to check your CLOVER folder settings against the screenshots in the spoiler, Final Steps in Post-Installation. If the problem persists, please let us know.

Welcome to Windows, where the more things change the more they stay the same! :)

I was able to overcome this problem by:
  • Physically removing my Mojave NVMe SSD.
  • Disconnecting the SATA data and power cables from all internal SATA drives.
Windows installation went smoothly afterwards.
Thanks for Your reply
I used Disk Utility from macOS Mojave to initialize the Windows 10 drive: it is correct or it is better to let the Windows installer do it from scratch?

Thanks for Your reply
I used Disk Utility from macOS Mojave to initialize the Windows 10 drive: it is correct or it is better to let the Windows installer do it from scratch?
Let Windows do it from scratch. Launch the Windows installer from USB flash disk and use the options within the installer to delete and reformat the install disk. Do not create any partitions yourself, just let Windows take care of it.

I have a problem. I have the Aorus Z90 Elite. The moment I set the BIOS to these recommended settings and restart, I hear 5 beeps and no display either through the GFX card or iGFX. The only option is to take the CMOS battery out and test bios. Looks like it happens when I make changes to the "USB Configuration" tab.

Any ideas?

Hello, I have followed your instructions on os 10.13.6. Currently my computer everything works including wifi. Bluetooth and sound do not work. I use Gigabyte Aorus z390 Ultra graphics card, i7-8700 and GTX 980 Ti. I use the card BCM94360CD. Sorry, my English is not very good.
Ps: The sound has been activated by adding kext AppleALC.kext.
Only the remaining Bluetooth does not work.
Bluetooth is not working because USB port HS14 is still active. Your motherboard has a preinstalled Intel WiFi/BT module. You have already installed the "NO-CNVW" SSDT to disable Intel WiFi, but Intel Bluetooth has not been disabled.
  • The Broadcom Bluetooth is connected to the USB hub at HS13.
  • The Intel Bluetooth is connected to USB port HS14.
You must disable USB port HS14. There are at least 2 ways to do this:
  1. Add uia_exclude=HS14 to your Boot Arguments (in Clover Configurator). Make sure to install USBInjectAll.kext if not already installed.
  2. Create a proper USB SSDT by following this beginner's guide. In the SSDT you can disable HS14 by deleting or commenting-out the HS14 port definition.
Option 2 is strongly recommended because your USB 3 ports will not work right now at full speed (they will work only at USB 2 speed).

I have a problem. I have the Aorus Z90 Elite. The moment I set the BIOS to these recommended settings and restart, I hear 5 beeps and no display either through the GFX card or iGFX. The only option is to take the CMOS battery out and test bios. Looks like it happens when I make changes to the "USB Configuration" tab.

Any ideas?
The only USB setting that is required on your AORUS Z390 Elite is XHCI-Handoff --> Enable. Legacy USB support is not needed. Have you already tried this? Also flash the latest BIOS if one is available.

Hello again.
Here's a weird thing...is it normal for my USB drives to eject when my system goes to sleep?
Its a bit of a pain when FCPX is open and the USB drive ejects on sleep.
Thanks.

There is a Thermaltake Titanium Digital Power Supply connected to the internal F_USB header.
Thank you! Yes, it was stupid RGB controller from PSU, forcing system to wake up every time!

Back