Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hello @futurusx,

Glad to hear about the successful build!

Is there any particular reason to lock the clock speed, and to do so at an overclocked frequency? Are you aware of the excess thermal stress on the system and significantly increased power consumption? That would be similar to the difference between a pure Class A amplifier and a much more energy-efficient Class A/B amp (yes I know Class D and other digital PWM amps are even more efficient).

During heavy use, the system will ramp up and maintain a high clock speed. Energy efficiency is a hallmark of modern appliances.

In my old setup I was forced to disable EIST and Speed step as High Sierra would not see the higher frequency. I don't think that's an issue any more so shouldn't actually be an issue, but I was curious. As long as cores throttle up properly I think I'll be fine.

In general I use my Hackintosh for Video Editing and image processing so I need the higher clocks, but when they are not in use I shut them down fully, my Macbook pro is my general computing platform.

Thanks.

Just one more question, prior to getting started on all this: do you know of any (darkwake?) setting that doesn't wake the hackintosh from sleep after every key-touch/mouse-movement? Moving my wireless (logitech) keyboards/mice around whilst vacuuming made my a-sleep hackontish wake up. But I'd prefer a hard-power-button push (or perhaps two quick key presses?) to be the only way of waking up?
Just came across this:

Screen Shot 2019-05-31 at 8.42.23 PM.png

Have you already tried it?

This is the Intel power graph after several minutes of a 4K h265 video, GFX sat at 0 the entire time. When headless mode has worked in the past the GFX line trickled up and fluctuated during video playback and then returned to 0. Id love to think headless is working but the system is suggesting otherwise. All suggestions welcome.

View attachment 409226
Okay, I think we have a problem. After renaming the AMD RX 580 back to simply "RX 580", it gets moved alphabetically behind "Intel UHD 630". So the Intel IGPU takes priority in VideoProc. Clicking the 'refresh' icons next to HEVC and H.264 shows that H.264 is no longer available, but HEVC is okay.

This might be due to 10.14.5, but I'm not certain. Will install 10.14.4 and re-test over the weekend.

Screen Shot 2019-05-31 at 9.20.10 PM.png

During the HEVC check performed by VideoProc, we get this green line fluctuation:

Screen Shot 2019-05-31 at 9.31.52 PM.png
Configuration:
  • Sysdef: Macmini8,1
  • Platform ID: 0x3E980003 (headless)
  • Device ID: 0x3E98 (default for 9th Gen GPU)

Last edited:
Alright! Powered usb hub just arrived though and appears to work fine. But still curious to see if you experience the same, and might be of help to others of course :)

I thought I had a 1st gen Ipad Air 16gb (that's what I bought anyway, a refurb), but the thing says it's actually an MD792NF/A, so the 32gb/4g model! Indeed it shows 32gb and (empty) 4g stats. Its only used for Logic Remote, but I couldn't resist a laugh when I found out I must've been lucky or something!
I encountered the same issue with my iPad mini -- namely, when connecting to the front panel USB 3.0 port it receives only the base 500mA of current, but does not receive the additional 1000mA of "Extra Operating Current" that is necessary for charging.

After a little bit of searching I found a solution by RehabMan described here. As a result, I've modified the USB SSDT with custom Power Properties taken from an iMac17,1 (because those values were readily available).

My iPad mini now charges properly from the front panel, but it receives 1600mA of Extra Operating Current.

Not sure if this is too high so I would certainly like to update the SSDT with USB Power Properties from Mac mini 8,1 and iMac19,1 if someone can provide their DSDT.aml file.

Meanwhile, please test the new SSDT as follows:
  • Mount EFI partition of your Mojave SSD
  • Move out or delete the current SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V6.aml from CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder
  • Copy the new SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V7.aml in its place
  • Copy SSDT-EC.aml to the same folder
  • Reboot
  • Login and attach your iPad directly to a front panel USB port (no hub)
  • Does it charge?

Attachments

• SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V7.aml
    846 bytes · Views: 120
  • SSDT-EC.aml
    63 bytes · Views: 107
Last edited:
I encountered the same issue with my iPad mini -- namely, when connecting to the front panel USB 3.0 port it receives only the base 500mA of current, but does not receive the additional 1000mA of "Extra Operating Current" that is necessary for charging.

After a little bit of searching I found a solution by RehabMan described here. As a result, I've modified the USB SSDT with custom Power Properties taken from an iMac17,1 (because those values were readily available).

My iPad mini now charges properly from the front panel, but it receives 1600mA of Extra Operating Current.

Not sure if this is too high so I would certainly like to update the SSDT with USB Power Properties from Mac mini 8,1 and iMac19,1 if someone can provide their DSDT.aml file.

Meanwhile, please test the new SSDT as follows:
  • Mount EFI partition of your Mojave SSD
  • Move out or delete the current SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V6.aml from CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder
  • Copy the new SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V7.aml in its place
  • Copy SSDT-EC.aml to the same folder
  • Reboot
  • Login and attach your iPad directly to a front panel USB port (no hub)
  • Does it charge?

Nice! Found the same thread and played around a bit, but couldn't get it to work.
Your files do work though! :)
Swapped the ports list with the ports from de Fractal Design file and indeed, ipad is charging properly now!

When you install this device and connect your NZXT and Corsair coolers, please do this:
  • Download and run IORegistryExplorer
  • Then select File --> Save As... and upload the IOReg file
Based on this I can check/update the USB SSDT for your system.

Hey
I added the splitter and i can see its working!...at least i think so
I see separate usb assignments for the
Corsair H115i
and
the NZXT case

I also attached the IOreg
lemme know what you think boss!
Thanks
J-P

Attachments

• badhussar_IOreg.ioreg
    20.3 MB · Views: 100
  • Screenshot 2019-06-01 at 12.40.32.png
    Screenshot 2019-06-01 at 12.40.32.png
    93.2 KB · Views: 79
I'll be joining the Designare/9900k community in a bit. Found a buyer for my Z170x mobo/6700k/RAM. Waiting for a proper offer from my favorite PC hardware dealer. Otherwise I'll resort to Amazon.

Z390/9900k seems like a worthwhile upgrade(main uses DAW recording/mixing/mastering & photo editing)
Bit worried about noise though, my current rig is silent and I can record an acoustic guitar 3 feet from my Hack(Noctua NH-D15/Fractal Design R5) with a condenser mic. The 9900k wil run hotter when under load, so I'm taking a risk here.
My Cubase projects normally don't load the CPU much in the recording stage, so I'll probably be fine.

Okay, I think we have a problem. After renaming the AMD RX 580 back to simply "RX 580", it gets moved alphabetically behind "Intel UHD 630". So the Intel IGPU takes priority in VideoProc. Clicking the 'refresh' icons next to HEVC and H.264 shows that H.264 is no longer available, but HEVC is okay.

This might be due to 10.14.5, but I'm not certain. Will install 10.14.4 and re-test over the weekend.

View attachment 409253

During the HEVC check performed by VideoProc, we get this green line fluctuation:

View attachment 409254
Configuration:
  • Sysdef: Macmini8,1
  • Platform ID: 0x3E980003 (headless)
  • Device ID: 0x3E98 (default for 9th Gen GPU)

Interesting. Your Intel Power Graph GFX line is what Im used to seeing when things work properly. I've seen the top graphic before and for the life of me I can't find it today, Im losing my mind. What are using for the top graphic?

Thanks for pushing on this problem more, hopefully identified fix will help the broader community.

I'll be joining the Designare/9900k community in a bit. Found a buyer for my Z170x mobo/6700k/RAM. Waiting for a proper offer from my favorite PC hardware dealer. Otherwise I'll resort to Amazon.

Z390/9900k seems like a worthwhile upgrade(main uses DAW recording/mixing/mastering & photo editing)
Bit worried about noise though, my current rig is silent and I can record an acoustic guitar 3 feet from my Hack(Noctua NH-D15/Fractal Design R5) with a condenser mic. The 9900k wil run hotter when under load, so I'm taking a risk here.
My Cubase projects normally don't load the CPU much in the recording stage, so I'll probably be fine.
Because I prioritized RGB over noise, my fans are audible but not annoying. Just some light background white noise. I modified the fan curves in BIOS and saved the settings in a custom profile.

If you prioritize silence over showiness, you should be able to assemble a very quiet system. Some PC cases are also more sound insulating than others. And custom fan curves in BIOS can suppress noise further — just don’t spin them too low.

Back