Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@genzai, despite the recent improvements in Windows 10, I can honestly say that it looks and feels like a colossal mess. It is better to buy or build a separate cheap Windows PC if someone really needs to use this monstrosity.

Really? I guess I do not read tech forums about Windows 10. I use Windows 10 for Revit and Recap Pro, and I have zero issues with it. Maybe for Autodesk software it works fine.

So something with those Windows updates messed with the UEFI or some system firmware in a way that made it incompatible with macOS. And re-flashing the BIOS restored the compatible state. Maybe the ME firmware was updated? I have no idea, but be very careful running the latest Windows updates. It could break your system for macOS. I have not booted back into Windows since fixing this, as for all I know it may mess up the system again. If you suddenly find your iGPU causes instant reboots when loading macOS, you may need to re-flash your BIOS to recover your working state.
Yes, Windows 10 works with the UEFI BIOS and can modify it from inside Windows. And, yes, an update to Windows can likely modify something in the UEFI BIOS. Be careful with updates or just try and run Windows 7.

despite the recent improvements in Windows 10, I can honestly say that it looks and feels like a colossal mess. It is better to buy or build a separate cheap Windows PC if someone really needs to use this monstrosity.

I am also hardly a fan of Windows as a platform. But there are some legitimate reasons to use it. (Certainly at least for gaming if you are in to that sort of thing.) One of the primary advantages of building a hackintosh has always been the ease of running other OS platforms simultaneously (on other drives). I have never encountered an issue like this before. But it is clear that with Modern OS versions and UEFI in the mix that the OS and drivers are more and more encroaching on low level configurations of the PC. It may become an even more common issue over time. I know there have been things like this in the past with certain 10G networking firmware, obviously the Thunderbolt activation, etc. - but this is the first time it has bitten me in the arse so hard.

g\

Yes Windows 10 works with the UEFI BIOS and can Modify it from inside Windows. And, yes, an update to Windows can likely modify something in the UEFI bios. Be careful with updates or just try and run Windows 7.

Yes, exactly. And not just a BIOS setting you could switch back. I loaded my known good settings and re-created them from scratch. macOS compatibility was not restored until a full flash and reset. This suggests something very low level and otherwise inaccessible was modified by Windows or a Windows driver.

g\

Yes, exactly. And not just a BIOS setting you could switch back. I loaded my known good settings and re-created them from scratch. macOS compatibility was not restored until a full flash and reset. This suggests something very low level and otherwise inaccessible was modified by Windows or a Windows driver..

g\

It is only going to get worse IMO.

I'm not sure how to search IN the thread, so I'm not sure if this was asked: should I install the Designare mobo drivers off their site and all that? Or let Windows take care of it with the drivers update auto thing, etc. ? (For my Windows 10 Drive, separate boot)

Upon writing that, I'm realizing I'm a dumb dumb. It's Windows. Of course I install the friggin' Windows Drivers. Yeah?

Upon writing that, I'm realizing I'm a dumb dumb. It's Windows. Of course I install the friggin' Windows Drivers. Yeah?

I am not sure this is where you would address this since this is a Mac OS Fourm and Windows would be off topic. However, you would likely want to install the drivers directly from the board manufacture's site since the drivers there will be the most up today.

I am not sure this is where you would address this since this is a Mac OS Fourm and Windows would be off topic. However, you would likely want to install the drivers directly from the board manufacture's site since the drivers there will be the most up today.
Yeah, I had a total brainfart. Thanks

Yeah, I had a total brainfart. Thanks
Three points:
  1. It’s been suggested earlier in this thread that Windows should be installed in the M2M slot (closest to CPU) so that it updates/modifies its own EFI partition. Just as Linux enumerates all disks as /dev/sda, /dev/sdb, /dev/sdc, etc. based on an internal hardware order, Windows does the same thing. It enumerates them as disk1, disk2, disk3, etc. and will update the EFI partition on the first disk that contains it. M2M is disk1. M2P is disk2, and the SATA ports take it from there. (I have not tested this myself.)
  2. For all of its (many) faults, Windows has a few good features. One of them being its ability to download and install just about all the drivers it needs. If you set BIOS -> Windows 8/10 Features to Windows 8/10 or Windows 8/10 WHQL before installing, it might be able to do a better job of configuring itself on your system. I did not need to download anything from the Gigabyte website. But if something (such as Thunderbolt) does not seem to be setup properly, then download and install the appropriate driver yourself. But give Windows a chance do it automatically. When Windows installation is done, change that BIOS parameter back to Other OS.
  3. You can search within a thread by clicking on any post in that thread, selecting the magnifying glass at the top right of the browser window, clicking on “Everywhere” and changing it to “This thread”.

VideoProc is prioritizing the iGPU probably because its name is alphabetically ahead of the RX 580:
  • Intel HD Graphics...
  • RX 580
But regardless, the iGPU should be recognized as "Intel UHD 630". If you use WhateverGreen, it will be recognized correctly.
I am currently using Sysdef iMac19,1 with Lilu + WEG in EFI/CLOVER/Kexts/Other and /Library/Extensions but, even so, HEVC is not supported in VideoProc
VideoProc 2.png

If you can remove serial numbers from SMBIOS section of your config.plist and upload it, I'll check your audio configuration.
OK, Added the EFI/CLOVER folder and the IOreg file if it could be useful
The problem is that connecting monitor with the DVI port I no longer have audio connecting speakers with the green rear port of the motherboard
Thanks again for Your help

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    3 MB · Views: 91
  • iMac19,1.zip
    3.8 MB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Back