Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Because Adobe CC Apps choose main GPU follows GPU name's alphabetic order.
In my case, I was aware of that so I used an SSDT that renamed the RX580 to ‘AMD RX 580’ but Adobe apps still gave precedence to UHD 630.

It’s not an issue for me now anyway :)

My Geekbench scores are a bit lower than yours (6290/34014) on 10.4.5, but my memory is only 2666Mhz...
What's your memory speed and do you have any BIOS memory/CPU optimisation or overclock ?
Hi it's the stock build from the excellent guide. The memory is 3200K DDR4

Procedure for modifying the firmware to unlock MSR 0xE2 (or CFG Lock) has been added, along with stern warnings.

Switching to AptioMemoryFix-64.efi with and without slide=0 results in boot failure (Couldn't allocate runtime area). Maybe a different build of AptioMemoryFix might work, but for now it's best to stay with OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi.

I've unlocked MSR 0xE2 on my system now. Revised benchmarks. However, these small differences might be due to other factors such as background jobs running in the system at the time.

View attachment 407475
I went ahead and got the MSR 0xE2 (CFG Lock) removed. I also removed KernelPM as well as PluginType flags in Clover Configurator. I followed that up with some testing and I did see a small performance jump using Geekbench, however, opening the same Logic Pro project brought my hack to a grinding halt as the 1st thread of the 1st core spiked way up and stayed there. I tried to restart and NVRAM reset at Clover boot to no avail. Where the load on that thread was manageable before, became unbearable now. I attributed that to PluginType flag removal. So I went back into Clover Config and put that flag back but left the KernelPM flag removed in there and all seems to be back to normal. Still, not much improvement from the original state in terms of performance.

Regarding AptioMemoryFix-64.efi - I have been using pretty much since day one. In fact, using that memory fix along with Virtualsmc were the only things that allowed me to boot with VT-d enabled and dart=0 removed, thus get my Slate VRS-8 working. BTW, you can safely add VRS-8 to your list of working audio interfaces. I'm including my drivers64UEFI folder in this post for those that wish to try my AptioMemoryFix.

slide=0 remains in place for now due to the dreaded (Couldn't allocate runtime area) error.

Attachments

• drivers64UEFI.zip
    99.6 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
... I attributed that to PluginType flag removal. So I went back into Clover Config and put that flag back but left the KernelPM flag removed in there and all seems to be back to normal. Still, not much improvement from the original state in terms of performance.
Agreed. Updated the guide with Step 17 to verify the change, and modified Step 21 to keep PluginType checked on.

Hello, first, thank you for the great guide of CaseySJ, I followed your guide and everything worked perfectly for me. Now, I just updated my machine, to 10.14.5, and I was going to change the definition to iMac19.1. My question is, if the purchased programs that are registered with the other definition that I have now, will they continue working or will I have problems with them? Will he have another serial number?
Sorry with my English I am using a translator.

Thank you very much for all your dedication and help to others.
I am very grateful to his work and to the help of everyone in the forum

Last edited:
I would like to thank from inside my heart this man CaseySJ!
I built my system back in November and had issues with endless freezes! I changed 2 motherboards, 3 gpus, psu and tried so many different settings! CaseySJ was kind enough to come into my 2 threads and help me find a solution. Then, after a lot of tries, he suggested to me to leave Asus behind (I was stuck with Asus since 2013 and had success builds with 5 hackintoshes total so far) and try Designare. Along with that, to do a fresh install and follow his guide step by step. I had tried everything so far, my mind wasn't calm and as a man who have experience with PCs and have build hundreds of PC systems, I was not ready to leave my beloved macOS behind and go back to Windows after 6 years! So I took the step for one more time and pulled the plug for Designare. Ofc the story is endless and that is a very short synopsis. Finally my system is stable rock, works as a charm and its fast... very fast. The benchmarks brought me better scores than Prime z390-a and Maximus XI hero. We have elections in my country and Im working everyday with a lot photos and videos... retouching, editing, video editing, color grading and much more. Since Designare and with help of Casey my system is fantastic! The only thing has left for me is to find a guide for oc this motherboard and come face to face with the 14core iMac Pro!

This guide is the most detailed guide with a lot of work from this man! Congratulations!

Hello, first, thank you for the great guide of CaseySJ, I followed your guide and everything worked perfectly for me. Now, I just updated my machine, to 10.14.5, and I was going to change the definition to iMac19.1. My question is, if the purchased programs that are registered with the other definition that I have now, will they continue working or will I have problems with them? Will he have another serial number?
Sorry with my English I am using a translator.

Thank you very much for all your dedication and help to others.
I am very grateful to his work and to the help of everyone in the forum
Hello @nadena, glad to hear about the successful build. If you change your system definition to iMac19,1 you will get a new serial number as well. It is possible use an existing non-iMac19,1 serial number, but that can create naming conflicts. For example, "About this Mac" and iCloud might report two different system types.

So it is advisable to change serial number when changing the system definition. This will cause some short-term pain, but will provide better long-term satisfaction.

Different software applications have different licensing and de-licensing methods:
  1. Some Apps have an option to de-authorize the current computer.
  2. Some Apps require a visit to the developer's website to transfer a license.
  3. Some Apps don't have either of these options. Instead, just use the same license code again after changing the system definition, and follow any onscreen instructions.
For option 3, it is better to check with the developer ahead of time.
  • You should also log out of iCloud ahead of time.
Now you can change system definition in Clover Configurator and reboot. When the system starts, run each of your Apps and enter the license code or login to the user account.

@skroutz999,

Thank you for the kind words and really glad to see that the saga of frustration is finally over. Random reboots are intolerable, and as you've noted, this system is quite solid (@NoiseCoalition's problem notwithstanding). ;)

Hopefully the LaCie Thunderbolt 3 external array will perform as expected should you decide to purchase it.

Enjoy the Greek elections! Focus on the work, not on the machine!

@skroutz999,

Thank you for the kind words and really glad to see that the saga of frustration is finally over. Random reboots are intolerable, and as you've noted, this system is quite solid (@NoiseCoalition's problem notwithstanding). ;)

Hopefully the LaCie Thunderbolt 3 external array will perform as expected should you decide to purchase it.

Enjoy the Greek elections! Focus on the work, not on the machine!

No random reboots on the new install so far! *Knocks on wood*. Just the random panics while booting up every once in a while which I can live with for now as long as my system isn't crashing when I'm working!

Do you remember which version of setup_var you used?
  • setup_var
  • setup_var2
  • setup_var_3
The first two return two Setup variables (one 5000+ bytes, the other just a few bytes) with the second one being followed by the warning error: offset is out of range.

The third version (setup_var_3) handles this issue by ignoring the variable that returns fewer bytes, and applies the change to the larger Setup variable.

Pretty sure I used the first one. First tutorial I read just had that, I discovered later, that there are 3 variants in total.

Even on the Designare Z390, AptioMemoryFix tends to work until we install a PCIe card other than the GPU. For example, as soon as the Fenvi FV-T919 WiFi/BT card is installed, AptioMemoryFix fails, but OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000 continues to work.

Do you have a WiFi/BT PCIe card installed in your system?

Indeed I have (BCM94331CD + Chinese no-name PCIe x1 adapter), that works fine with OS X, but just when it feels like with Windows. BCM94360CD works well with Windows, but won't boot with OS X at all, and I'm quite sure I tried with OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000, too, but worth giving it another shot.

Booted and still boots with and without slide=0

Back