Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I tried Sysdef iMac19,1 on a fresh installation of 10.14.5. On the Designare there is no problem with shutdown, reboot, and restart. You might want to try installing EmuVariableUefi-64.efi. Also ensure you have OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi instead of any other memory fix driver, and slide=0 is added to Boot Arguments.

EmuVariableUefi-64.efi and slide=0 are already applied (experienced some weird things during boot without them in the past) and tried the memory fix solution, too. Nothing's changed so far, shutdown still reboots. Wonder if it is the SMBios, or the new update causing this. I also disabled CFG Lock via GrubShell and kicked out the KernelPM patch prior to updating, but I don't think that'd be issue, would it?

• Are you referring to case fans, GPU fans, or CPU cooler fan(s)?
  • Which fans are you using?
  • Are they PWM fans (4 pins)?
  • Are they connected to a fab hub, and the fan hub is connected to one of the 4-pin PWM fan headers on the motherboard?
  • Are the fans securely mounted to the chassis? Do they have rubber mounts to reduce vibration?
  • Can you control fan speed in BIOS?
  • Are you referring to case fans, GPU fans, or CPU cooler fan(s)?
    • I found yesterday, the CPU fan is the nosiest and the one contrirbuting most problems
    • I have only one 120mm rear exhaust fan on my UMX4 Cooltek Case
  • Which fans are you using?
    • Stock case fan on rear
    • CPU cooler is a Noctua NH-U14s comes with a NF-A15 140mm fan
  • Are they PWM fans (4 pins)?
    • Yes all 4 Pin, CPU fan is for PWM sure
  • Are they connected to a fab hub, and the fan hub is connected to one of the 4-pin PWM fan headers on the motherboard?
    • Connected to headers
  • Are the fans securely mounted to the chassis? Do they have rubber mounts to reduce vibration?
    • No, i only have 1 fan 120 mm chasis case fan, CPU fan contributing most
  • Can you control fan speed in BIOS?
    • Yes I think so - Using the profile setting in the Smart 5 fans menus, i could change it from normal to high
    • However, what I noticed is in the top right corner of the Smart 5 Bios screen, there was a temperature but no FAN RPM for the CPU
Also,

1/ still cant get an app in Mojave to monitor the RPM of the fans, all say there are no fans.
2/ when i turn on the computer, fans are running normal, then when the apple logo finishes loading, all fans come to an abupt brake, sounds like computer shat itself, then very quietly and calmy logs into Mojave - strange - any ideas about this?

Thanks a lot mate!!

18 May 2019: Updated for macOS 10.14.5.
Your guide is just fantastic, I got my box running 10.14.4 at very first try. But please, but could you write a change log for your addendum, so it's easy to understand what to add/remove/change?

Last edited:
EmuVariableUefi-64.efi and slide=0 are already applied (experienced some weird things during boot without them in the past) and tried the memory fix solution, too. Nothing's changed so far, shutdown still reboots. Wonder if it is the SMBios, or the new update causing this. I also disabled CFG Lock via GrubShell and kicked out the KernelPM patch prior to updating, but I don't think that'd be issue, would it?
Some other suggestions:
  • When running MultiBeast 11.2.1 there is an option to install UEFI Bootloader + EmuVariable. This option installs "rc scripts" to aid in reboot and shutdown.
  • You can check whether the rc scripts are installed by typing the following in Terminal:
    Code:
    cd /etc
    ls rc.boot.d
    ls rc.shutdown.d
    Screen Shot 2019-05-19 at 4.35.57 AM.png

1/ still cant get an app in Mojave to monitor the RPM of the fans, all say there are no fans.
There is very limited support for monitoring and controlling CPU fans in Mojave. The CPU fan must have a USB cable connected to the internal USB header. Most of us don't have this and it has not been a problem. Noctua fans should be among the quietest...
2/when i turn on the computer, fans are running normal, then when the apple logo finishes loading, all fans come to an abupt brake, sounds like computer shat itself, then very quietly and calmy logs into Mojave - strange - any ideas about this?
In my system the fans momentarily spin low when iStat Menus or HWMonitor start up, but fans return to normal a second or two later. Do your fans spins down and remain down after login?

Your guide is just fantastic, I got my box running 10.14.4 at very first try. But please, but could you write a change log for your addendum, so it's easy to understand what to add/remove/change?
Because the build guide is for fresh installations instead of updates, it's meant to be read from top to bottom. Going the Extra Mile, however, is meant to be read in any random order.

For updates there's usually a separate mini-guide. For the update from 10.14.4 to 10.14.5 there is this:

There is very limited support for monitoring and controlling CPU fans in Mojave. The CPU fan must have a USB cable connected to the internal USB header. Most of us don't have this and it has not been a problem. Noctua fans should be among the quietest...

In my system the fans momentarily spin low when iStat Menus or HWMonitor start up, but fans return to normal a second or two later. Do your fans spins down and remain down after login?

Hmmm, the Noctua fan is loud as hell "woo woo woo" or maybe I'm not used to CPU fans anymore having had a laptop for years.

Yes, the fans spin down and stay down (albeit the oscillating up and down randomness which is unexplained) as soon as the login Mojave screen.

Question, are there reliability/performance benefits to upgrading to Mojave 14.5 and changing the profile to imac19?

Thanks,

Because the build guide is for fresh installations instead of updates, it's meant to be read from top to bottom. Going the Extra Mile, however, is meant to be read in any random order.

For updates there's usually a separate mini-guide. For the update from 10.14.4 to 10.14.5 there is this:
Hi I upgraded successfully but lost sound. I had the patch implemented in the plist and can confirm it's still there. Any advice? Thanks

Attachments

• plist.plist
    9.6 KB · Views: 130
Hi I upgraded successfully but lost sound. I had the patch implemented in the plist and can confirm it's still there. Any advice? Thanks

Ps Speed seems higher with 10.14.5

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-05-19 at 1.36.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-19 at 1.36.58 PM.png
    320.8 KB · Views: 225
*** Mini Guide: Using UEFITool and ifrextract to View Firmware Settings ***

Background:
The term 'BIOS' is not the technically correct term for the firmware that runs on UEFI motherboards. The proper term is simply firmware. On most motherboards, pressing DEL key during startup will launch the Firmware Setup GUI. These GUIs have evolved appreciably over the years, and they offer a rich graphical experience. Likewise, the firmware itself has evolved in response to new on-board technologies such as USB 3, integrated GPUs, built-in Thunderbolt, 10Gig Ethernet, RGB controllers, etc.

However, not all of the configuration parameters available to the firmware are available to the user via the Setup GUI. The CFG Lock parameter is probably the most well-known example. This parameter is set to 0x01 (enabled) in the Designare Z390 firmware and it is not available to view or change in the Setup GUI. It triggers a write-once lock on the 0xE2 MSR register, which interferes with AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, thereby requiring Clover patches (Plugin Type and KernelPM) that prevent this kernel extension from touching the 0xE2 MSR register.

This mini guide is based on the AptioFixPkg README file.

Purpose of Guide:
The purpose of this guide is to demonstrate how to view and modify the CFG Lock and other firmware parameters. Modifying the firmware is very risky and should only be done in extreme situations when no other viable solution exists for a problem you are experiencing.

*** WARNING ***
If you decide to modify your firmware settings by following this guide, you assume 100% risk and 100% responsibility for your decision and for your action. If you corrupt the firmware in the process, your only recourse will be to re-flash the BIOS.

Preparation:
Create a folder in your Documents or Downloads directory called UEFI-Check. Then download all of the following files into the UEFI-Check directory:
  • UEFI Tool
    • The only file needed is UEFITool_NE_A55_mac.zip as shown.
    • This is a GUI that we'll run directly from Finder.
      Screen Shot 2019-05-19 at 10.27.10 AM.png
  • ifrextract
    • The only file needed is ifrextract_v0.3.6.osx.zip as shown.
    • We will run this from Terminal. It is a command-line executable.
      Screen Shot 2019-05-19 at 10.29.10 AM.png
  • Gigabyte Designare Z390 Firmware from Gigabyte Website
    • Make sure that you download the correct version. If your motherboard is running F6, download the F6 firmware, etc.

Procedure:
  1. After downloading the three files above into the UEFI-Check folder in either the Documents or Downloads directory, start Terminal and 'cd' into that directory. If you chose the Downloads folder you would type cd ~/Downloads/UEFI-Check. If you chose the Documents folder you would type cd ~/Documents/UEFI-Check.
  2. Rename the Gigabyte firmware file.
    • If you downloaded the F6 version, the default filename will be Z390DESI.F6.
    • We need to give the file a ".bin" extension by typing mv Z390DESI.F6 Z390DESI.F6.bin.
  3. Double-click to run UEFI-Tool.
    • Select File --> Open image file...
      Screen Shot 2019-05-19 at 9.33.20 AM.png
    • Select the file Z390DESI.F6.bin.
    • You will see something like this:
      Screen Shot 2019-05-19 at 9.33.31 AM.png
    • Select Action --> Search... and click on Text in the search dialog. And enter the search text, which is CFG Lock in this example. Click OK.
      Screen Shot 2019-05-19 at 9.33.50 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-05-19 at 9.34.01 AM.png
    • You will see the search result(s) in the bottom pane.
      Screen Shot 2019-05-19 at 9.34.14 AM.png
    • Now double-click on the search result (the red highlighted row in the image above) so that the "container" of this text is identified as shown below.
      Screen Shot 2019-05-19 at 9.34.20 AM.png
    • Now CTRL-Click or Right-Click on the PE32 Image and choose Extract body... as shown.
      Screen Shot 2019-05-19 at 9.34.35 AM.png
    • In the File Save dialog, replace the default name with simply Setup.bin as shown.
      Screen Shot 2019-05-19 at 9.35.04 AM.png
    • And we're done with UEFI Tool. Choose UEFITool --> Quit UEFITool.
  4. Go back to the Terminal window. We're ready to convert the Setup.bin file into a readable text file.
    • Ensure you are in the UEFI-Check directory in Terminal.
    • Type ./ifrextract Setup.bin Setup.text.
    • And it's done.
  5. Now let's have a look at the result. You may open the Setup.txt file in TextEdit, BBEdit, or even "vi" or "emacs", etc. and search for "CFG Lock". If we do this directly in Terminal by using "vi" we see CFG Lock on line 7039 as shown.
    Screen Shot 2019-05-19 at 9.36.08 AM.png
    • The text in blue tells us that this parameter is at offset 0x5C1 and has a value of 0x1. If we look immediately below that, the green box tells us that the Disabled value is 0x0 and the Enabled value is 0x1 (default).
    • So by default the CFG Lock is Enabled.
    • To disable the CFG Lock, we would need to write the value 0x0 to offset 0x5C1.
    • This is for firmware version F6 on Gigabyte Designare Z390 motherboard only.
    • If you have a different motherboard or a different firmware version, you should follow this guide to identify the correct offset value and the correct enable/disable value.

Modifying the Firmware:
WARNING:
This procedure is only for users who cannot install a certain device driver because of the locked 0xE2 MSR register. If your system is running properly you should not make any changes to its firmware. One careless mistake can corrupt the firmware. If you decide to modify your firmware settings by following this guide, you assume 100% risk and 100% responsibility for your decision and for your action. If you corrupt the firmware in the process, your only recourse will be to re-flash the BIOS.

Now that we know that CFG Lock is at Offset 0x5C1, we need to change its value from 0x1 (enabled) to 0x0 (disabled). To accomplish this, follow the procedure below very carefully.
  1. Find a spare USB flash disk. It may be USB 2 or USB 3 with a capacity of 1GB or more. Everything on the USB disk will be deleted.
  2. Boot Mojave and insert the USB disk into a port on the front of the PC or the rear IO panel.
  3. Run Disk Utility and follow the 5 steps shown.
    Screen Shot 2019-05-20 at 6.30.57 PM.png
  4. When the formatting is complete, the USB flash disk will be mounted with the name MSR EFI.
  5. Use Clover Configurator or EFI Agent to mount the EFI partition of this USB disk as shown. A new disk will be mounted on the desktop, with the name EFI.
    Screen Shot 2019-05-20 at 6.39.25 PM.png
  6. Download the special build of grub from here. In particular, download the file modGRUBShell.efi as shown.
    Screen Shot 2019-05-20 at 6.43.37 PM.png
  7. Locate the downloaded file in Finder and rename the file to bootx64.efi
  8. Open the EFI disk (Step 5) in Finder and create a folder named EFI and a subfolder named BOOT. Then copy bootx64.efi into the BOOT folder. The resulting structure should look like this:
    Screen Shot 2019-05-20 at 6.46.35 PM.png
  9. Leave the USB disk plugged into the Hackintosh and reboot.
  10. At the BIOS splash screen, press F12 to bring up the Gigabyte Boot Selection menu.
  11. Choose the USB flash disk.
  12. You will now be presented with the grub> prompt.
  13. You can press the TAB key to see a list of the available commands. You'll see that this particular grub shell supports a large set of commands, including:
    • setup_var
    • setup_var2
    • setup_var_3
  14. We will use the last one, setup_var_3, to modify the CFG Lock parameter. But first, type the following command to check the current value:
    • setup_var_3 0x5C1
    • WARNING: Replace 0x5C1 with the actual offset value for your own motherboard and firmware.
  15. You might see two replies.
    • Reply 1 will be from a Setup variable that is over 5000 bytes.
    • Reply 2 will be from a Setup variable that is only 9 bytes long. This reply will be followed by a message indicating that this particular variable will be ignored. This is what want. We don't want to change this 9-byte variable. Instead, we want to change the bigger 5000+ byte variable.
  16. If everything looks good so far, you are ready to make the change. Type this very carefully:
    • setup_var_3 0x5C1 0x0
    • WARNING: Replace 0x5C1 with the actual offset value for your own motherboard and firmware.
    • This stores the value 0x0 into the CFG Lock parameter, which disables it.
  17. Verify that the change was made by typing:
    • setup_var_3 0x5C1
    • The returned value should be 0x0 instead of 0x1.
  18. Type exit to reboot. Remove the USB flash disk. You are done.
  19. Boot into Mojave now.
  20. Use Clover Configurator or EFI Agent to mount the EFI partition of the Mojave SSD.
  21. Use Clover Configurator to edit your config.plist and make the following changes:
    • Kernel and Kext Patches --> KernelPM --> uncheck
    • ACPI section --> PluginType --> uncheck [Update: Leave this checked ON]
  22. Save the config.plist.
  23. Reboot and log back into Mojave.
Procedure Complete.

Last edited:
Back