Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Thanks to author of this post and build! Because of Thunderbolt support, I recently bought same parts: this Z390 Designare motherboard, i7-8700K, Gigabyte RX 580 8GB, 16x4 3500MHz memory, simple 256GB SATA test SSD, and it was success! And I have pretty much the same CPU score in Geekbench vs 9700K (6371 single and 31417 multicore). But this build only for F4 and F5 BIOS. Please DO NOT UPDATE BIOS TO F6!!! Clover doesn't boot with F6 BIOS and this guide. I had turned off trim patch because of LONG BOOT with this patch (about 2 minutes) vs. a few seconds. I have success with Thunderbolt 3 on TC Electronic Konnekt 24d Firewire sound interface through multiple chain wires: F400->F800->Thunderbolt1/2->Thunderbolt 3. Soon I will check Presonus Quantum sound interface. Thanks to all!

I was wrong about F6 BIOS.Just tried F6 BIOS and everything fine. Ok boot from USB stick and installed Mac OS.

Attachments

• IMG-3783.JPG
    IMG-3783.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 321
  • IMG-3789.JPG
    IMG-3789.JPG
    5.2 MB · Views: 334
  • IMG-3790.JPG
    IMG-3790.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 386
  • IMG-3800.JPG
    IMG-3800.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 374
  • IMG-3801.JPG
    IMG-3801.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 359
Last edited:
Thanks to author of this post and build! Because of thunderbolt support i recently bought same parts: this z390 designare motherboard, i7-8700k,gygabyte rx580 8gb, 16x4 3500mhz memory, simple 256gb sata test ssd, and it was success! And I have pretty same CPU score in Geekbench vs 9700k (6371 single and 31417 multicore). But this build only for F4 and F5 BIOS. Please DO NOT UPDATE BIOS TO F6!!!Clover don't boot with F6 BIOS and this guide. I had turned off trim patch because of LONG BOOT with this patch (about 2 minutes) vs a few seconds. I have success with thunderbolt 3 on TC Electronic Konnekt 24d Firewire sound interface through multiple chain wires: F400->F800->Thunderbolt1/2->Thunderbolt 3. Soon I will check Presonus Quantum sound interface. Thanks to all!

I run on BIOS F6 with no issues whatsoever, Clover version 2.4K 4920. Everything is working great.

I run on BIOS F6 with no issues whatsoever, Clover version 2.4K 4920. Everything is working great.
Hm. with F6 I tried about 6-7 hours of pain and it always stuck on first console screen after choosing install Mojave. I have tried different memory fix efi clover driver files.

I only use Samsung NVMe EVO M.2's for my systems, not sure if that helps.
I was talking about just boot from install usb stick. Without any ssd or hdd or m.2 drive. It was only on F6 bios version. on F4 and F5 it was normal.

I was talking about just boot from install usb stick. Without any ssd or hdd or m.2 drive. It was only on F6 bios version. on F4 and F5 it was normal.

I use these USB sticks - Samsung BAR Plus 32GB - 200MB/s USB 3.1 Flash Drive Champagne Silver, very fast for loading MACOS.

I successfully activated Power Nap by setting darkwave=10 and checking the PluginType checkbox under Acpi in the config.plist in Clover Configurator. Wake and sleep are still working perfectly and Power Nap works just as on a real Mac!
I keep thinking of dark energy and gravitational waves coalescing into a darkwave phenomenon. These eerie thoughts hound me and I wonder whether I am half asleep or half awake. Maybe I am in a state of darkwake... :)

@CaseySJ, now that I have my Hack all setup, looks like I'm giving it to my son when he moves back up north. I'll be replacing his CPU with an i7. I am 100 percent certain, I am getting your mobo....and a few other things off your list....lol At least I can say though, because of your guide, I know more now than I did when I started a few weeks ago, and it will be surely easier to troubleshoot with the same hardware.

@skittlebrau
In my case the fans of the Sapphire RX 580 Pulse are typically not running at all using macOS 10.14.5. While using e.g. a web browser the fans spin up for maybe 2 seconds and it's getting noisy. Using Win10 I don't see this behaviour.

I would prefer to have them running constantly with 20-30%. Any idea how to achieve this?

Thanks...

Do you have iGPU enabled too? Which browser is this and does this happen for any website? I know macOS leans more heavily on GPUs for acceleration throughout the OS than Windows does, and that extends to browsers too. I've heard of others having this problem too, but I haven't been able to replicate the issue myself with my own RX 580.

You'd need to edit your GPU VBIOS with a VBIOS editor in Windows to alter when the fans kick in and what speed they run at.

If you google for 'RX580 fan speed control VBIOS' you'll see a few people who've done what you want. I've never done a VBIOS edit myself, but it's pretty easy, but also easy to screw something up ;)

I use these USB sticks - Samsung BAR Plus 32GB - 200MB/s USB 3.1 Flash Drive Champagne Silver, very fast for loading MACOS.

Have you tried booting from a USB 2.0 port or a different USB 3 port? At the very least, you should avoid booting from any non-native USB ports. By that I mean, motherboards often come with native (Intel in this case) ports and ports with third-party controllers. I've always had trouble booting from third-party controller ports.

According to MSI website - in a marketing graphic - <60C Fans are Off, >60C Fans are On. So that confirms our observations as to why the fans are off on their RX 580. RTFM :)

Back