Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

We were able to fix it now: The internal USB header (HS11/HS12) showed up as USB 2.0 instead of Internal. So I changed the SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V5.aml file and replaced "Zero" with "0xFF" for HS11/HS12. Now it’s working!
Interesting. Sounds like the definition of internal is built-in or permanently attached.

Let's say we connect our F_USB header to two USB 2.0 ports on the front panel of a PC case. In this case, we expect various USB devices to be plugged in and ejected at will.
  • Hence connector type 0x00 (not internal; removable devices)
But if we connect permanent devices such as Bluetooth and CPU Cooler (devices that we will not be ejecting or hot-swapping), then the ports should be treated as Internal.
  • Hence connector type 0xFF (internal; permanent devices)
For this system it makes sense to treat the F_USB as internal and therefore not suitable for outside USB ports. (USB 3.1 Gen 1 and USB 3.1 Gen 2 headers on this motherboard are configured as external because they're typically connected to ports on the PC case.)

I'll update the guide with V6 of the SSDT later this evening.

Thank you for identifying this problem.

Last edited:
Interesting. Sounds like the definition of internal is built-in or permanently attached.

Let's say we connect our F_USB header to two USB 2.0 ports on the front panel of a PC case. In this case, we expect various USB devices to be plugged in and ejected at will.
  • Hence connector type 0x00 (not internal; removable devices)
But if we connect permanent devices such as Bluetooth and CPU Cooler (devices that we will not be ejecting or hot-swapping), then the ports should be treated as Internal.
  • Hence connector type 0xFF (internal; permanent devices)
For this system it makes sense to treat the F_USB as internal and therefore not suitable for outside USB ports. (USB 3.1 Gen 1 and USB 3.1 Gen 2 headers on this motherboard are configured as external because they're typically connected to ports on the PC case.)

I'll update the guide with V6 of the SSDT later this evening.

Thank you for identifying this problem.
Nice!
On my machine the F_USB was recognized as internal without this change. So what does it mean then if there‘s „Zero“ set instead of „0x00“ or „0xFF“? Does it mean unspecified?

@CaseySJ "Buy a new high quality USB 3.0 flash disk from a reputable manufacturer." was one the best instruction sentences on your Golden Build. I bought a new Samsung BAR Plus 32GB - 200MB/s USB 3.1 Flash Drive Champagne Silver and I shocked how fast it builded the installer. Thanks so much for all the good advice.

On my machine the F_USB was recognized as internal without this change.
Where do you see F_USB as being internal? Version 5 of the USB SSDT sets HS11 and HS12 to Connector type Zero, which is equivalent to 0x00. This means USB 2.0 (removable devices).
So what does it mean then if there‘s „Zero“ set instead of „0x00“ or „0xFF“? Does it mean unspecified?
Some ACPI grammar definitions:
  • Keyword One is defined as 0x01 ("One" and "0x01" are equivalent)
  • Keyword Zero is defined as 0x00 ("Zero" and "0x00" are equivalent)
Boolean Ops:
  • Keyword Ones is defined as 0xFF
  • Boolean True is defined as Ones
  • Boolean False is defined as Zero

*** USB SSDT Updated to Version 6 ***

On this system we are connecting permanent devices to the motherboard's F_USB (USB 2.0) header that controls HS11 and HS12. These devices include:
  • Bluetooth data cable from a Broadcom WiFi/BT card.
  • CPU coolers that require a USB 2.0 connection.
  • Wireless remote controlled Power and Reset switch (SilverStone switch described in Components section)
  • Other devices that will not be hot-swapped.
Up to now, USB ports HS11 and HS12 were configured for ejectable / hot-swappable devices. But for improved Sleep/Wake compatibility with a wider set of PCIe cards, ports HS11 and HS12 have been reconfigured as Internal. This means we should not connect F_USB to front-panel ports (ports on the PC case). Instead, we should only connect devices that will not be removed during use.

The new USB SSDT is available in the updated Post-Install Files.zip attached to the bottom of Post 1. The filename is:
  • SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V6.aml
Everyone is encouraged to replace earlier versions with V6, but to keep a backup of the previous version just in case unexpected problems are encountered.

To install, backup then delete the previous version and copy new one to CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder in the EFI partition of the Mojave SSD.

Thanks to @JimSalabim for the discovery of this issue.

On this system we are connecting permanent devices to the motherboard's F_USB (USB 2.0) header that controls HS11 and HS12. These devices include:
  • Wireless remote controlled Power and Reset switch (SilverStone switch described in Components section)
Up to now, USB ports HS11 and HS12 were configured for ejectable / hot-swappable devices. But for improved Sleep/Wake compatibility with a wider set of PCIe cards, ports HS11 and HS12 have been reconfigured as Internal. This means we should not connect F_USB to front-panel ports (ports on the PC case). Instead, we should only connect devices that will not be removed during use.

The new USB SSDT is available in the updated Post-Install Files.zip attached to the bottom of Post 1. The filename is:
Everyone is encouraged to replace earlier versions with V6, but to keep a backup of the previous version just in case unexpected problems are encountered.

To install, backup then delete the previous version and copy new one to CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder in the EFI partition of the Mojave SSD.

Thanks Casey! How does this affect people with USB 2.0 front panel ports also hooked into the header (in my case, I have a Fractal Define R6). Should I just stick with the Fractal custom SSDT?

First things that come to mind:
  • Power down the system and remove power cable. (Yes, remove power cable.)
  • Check that all 4 DIMMs are seated properly in their DIMM slots.
  • Power the system back on and enter BIOS Setup.
  • Check that BIOS F6 is running. Under certain circumstances the motherboard will automatically switch back to BIOS F3.
  • If F6 is running, go to "M.I.T." section and enable X.M.P. Memory Profile 1.
  • If F6 is not running, flash to F6 and set BIOS parameters.
  • Check that all 4 DIMMs are detected by the BIOS. One of the BIOS pages will show this.

Hi Casey

Just found it:

If I use SMBIOS 18.1 the Slot (Empty) appears...

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-04-13 at 12.26.21.png
    Screenshot 2019-04-13 at 12.26.21.png
    334.5 KB · Views: 127
  • Screenshot 2019-04-13 at 12.29.03.png
    Screenshot 2019-04-13 at 12.29.03.png
    486.3 KB · Views: 123

Hi Casey

In V6 version is missing HS01.
Not in V3.
It's correct?
Max MJALT it's from V3.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-04-13 at 12.47.25.png
    Screenshot 2019-04-13 at 12.47.25.png
    160.8 KB · Views: 92
  • Screenshot 2019-04-13 at 12.45.13.png
    Screenshot 2019-04-13 at 12.45.13.png
    170.7 KB · Views: 79
Some ACPI grammar definitions:
  • Keyword One is defined as 0x01 ("One" and "0x01" are equivalent)
  • Keyword Zero is defined as 0x00 ("Zero" and "0x00" are equivalent)
Boolean Ops:
  • Keyword Ones is defined as 0xFF
  • Boolean True is defined as Ones
  • Boolean False is defined as Zero
Thanks for the definitions! This was exactly what I was looking for.
Where do you see F_USB as being internal? Version 5 of the USB SSDT sets HS11 and HS12 to Connector type Zero, which is equivalent to 0x00. This means USB 2.0 (removable devices).
Interesting! In Hackintool they were shown as internal using version V5 on my machine (but as USB 2.0 on my friend’s machine).
Bildschirmfoto 2019-04-13 um 12.58.13.png

My system is rebooting every 5-20 minutes now. Did a fresh install and the problem is persisting (though it wasn't an issue during the install procedure). Going to run Memtest86 to see if it's a memory fault (I hope not, cause its going to take forever for them to be RMA'd and replaced).

Back