Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@datadl : Thanks for the reply! I will change the drive. the EVO disks are recommended in the buyers guide. Are they for a different OS X than Mojave?
@Stubings : EVO drives are currently not supported. I just did a successful install with an Samsung 970 PRO M2 drive.

Hello, the discs that do not work well are the "EVO PLUS" discs, which are only "EVO" only if they are admitted and work perfectly

Last edited:
@datadl : Thanks for the reply! I will change the drive. the EVO disks are recommended in the buyers guide. Are they for a different OS X than Mojave?
Hello, the discs that do not work well are the "EVO PLUS" discs, which are only "EVO" only if they are admitted and work perfectly
Just to confirm: Samsung EVO and EVO Pro NVMe drives are compatible and even quite popular, but EVO Plus appears to have a firmware issue that Samsung is supposedly working on.

Had a few random reboots today. Not sure what's causing them, but will go through a process of elimination to see if I can locate a cause on the hardware side of things.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for how I might identify the cause? Is there something I should look for in system logs perhaps?

The system had been stable for the last few days. The only thing I've changed in the last day is applying the FCPX fix (as per the install guide) and connecting some USB 3 drives to transfer some large files.
If you’ve completed a reasonable process of elimination and the problem persists, feel free to compress and upload your CLOVER folder, minus, of course, serial numbers. If memory DIMMs are good (see section in build guide entitled Troubleshooting Random Crashes) and all external USB devices are detached (except keyboard and mouse), and WiFi/BT card is a known compatible model, then the problem may be due to CLOVER configuration.

My problem that the screen would go black when sending some files to my Hackintosh via Airdrop is now SOLVED. It was the BCM943602CS card. I was unhappy about the bad Bluetooth range anyway, so I have replaced it now with a Fenvi T919. The Bluetooth range is perfect now and the Airdrop issues are gone. :)
So I would not recommend the BCM943602CS.

Now a friend of mine has a problem with his BCM943602CS, too (also same motherboard, exact same configuration, only difference is that he has a Vega 56, not a Vega 64). His Hackintosh won’t stay in sleep mode, it will always wake up again immediately. When he disconnects the Bluetooth jack from the card, it’s working fine. Any ideas how he could fix this? Or is it likely that he will need a different card, too, as the BCM943602CS seems to cause lots of problems anyway?

My problem that the screen would go black when sending some files to my Hackintosh via Airdrop is now SOLVED. It was the BCM943602CS card. I was unhappy about the bad Bluetooth range anyway, so I have replaced it now with a Fenvi T919. The Bluetooth range is perfect now and the Airdrop issues are gone. :)

Now a friend of mine has a problem with his BCM943602CS, too (also same motherboard, exact same configuration, only difference is that he has a Vega 56, not a Vega 64). His Hackintosh won’t stay in sleep mode, it will always wake up again immediately. When he disconnects the Bluetooth jack from the card, it’s working fine. Any ideas how he could fix this? Or is it likely that he will need a different card, too, as the BCM943602CS seems to cause lots of problems anyway?
Do you have Wake from Bluetooth selected?
This will cause it to wake seconds after sleeping.
  1. Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Bluetooth.
  2. Click Advanced.
  3. Select the checkbox next to Allow Bluetooth Devices to wake this computer.
    Wake devices

Hey Casey,

Got my thunderbolt adaptor in and can confirm that the Blackmagic Multidock works great using the thunderbolt port. I have the Thunderbolt 2 version (looks like they updated it with proper USB-C) so I needed the converter cable.

The discs show up as internal though. Is this an issue?
This is a common issue. My view on this is simple: if you can eject drives and hot-swap drives (i.e. plug in a new device without having to reboot or unplug/replug the entire dock) then “internal” is just cosmetic.

Do you have Wake from Bluetooth selected?
This will cause it to wake seconds after sleeping.
  1. Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Bluetooth.
  2. Click Advanced.
  3. Select the checkbox next to Allow Bluetooth Devices to wake this computer.
    Wake devices
Thanks! He has already tried this, but the problem is still there.

After some fact-checking:
  • Designare Z390 supports one front-panel USB 3.1 Gen 2 connector via the onboard F_USB31C header.
  • This header is mapped as follows:
    • USB 3.x is mapped to SS01
    • USB 2.0 is mapped to HS01, but we have disabled HS01 because of the 15-port limit. (And of course who in their right mind would want to connect a prehistoric USB 2 device to a space-age USB-C port!)
  • HS02 is not used.

thanks a lot for clarifying this!

Does your friend have any iOS devices? Maybe try disabling proximity wake as described in this thread:

My iPhone would wake up my computer if it was in the room or entered the room.

Does your friend have any iOS devices? Maybe try disabling proximity wake as described in this thread:

My iPhone would wake up my computer if it was in the room or entered the room.
Thanks! But it doesn’t fix it either. His pm-Settings are the same as mine (and on my machine it works perfectly), and no proximity wake enabled.

Back