Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Was wondering if this works with another Z390 board from Gigabyte as well - there is the Aurora which costs about half, has the same ACL1120 audio codec but lacking TB3 (which i dont need).

It might have been answered somewhere in the 350+ pages of this guide - however did anyone try to use a similar Gigabyte board?
@vatter69 I am going to use the Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming if you go to page 349 you'll see what the OP said to me.
@gyrene2083 Thank you for pointing that out.

@vatter69 Here's the link.

Haha thanks - just scrolled past 3 sites and saw that :)

Perfect, its about time i upgrade my i7-2600, it takes almost 40h to render a 4k bluray on that box so this will be perfect.

Hey Casey,

Got my thunderbolt adaptor in and can confirm that the Blackmagic Multidock works great using the thunderbolt port. I have the Thunderbolt 2 version (looks like they updated it with proper USB-C) so I needed the converter cable.

The discs show up as internal though. Is this an issue?

Hello @yongjiajun, the problem you're describing may be similar to the random freezes encountered by @skroutz999 on his ASUS Maximus XI Hero. Please refer to this thread for ongoing status:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/i9-9900k-asus-maximus-xi-hero-rx580-8gb-pulse-random-freezes.270683/page-8

You may want to add your experiences there.

So for the login freezes, I was having some issues trying to get my NVMe drive mounted but it turns out that the NVMe drive that I have (Samsung 970 Evo Plus) is incompatible with macOS, but I only use it as my Windows boot drive so I disabled it by adding the boot flag nvme=-1 and the system no longer freezes :D

As for the high load freezes, I think that was due to my unstable 5GHz OC :( But after disabling OC, I now have the perfect/stable Hackintosh!

Thanks again!

Hi there. Thanks for a great and comprehensive build description!

I have completed a new build with i9-9900K, Gigabyte Z390 Designare, RX Vega 56 graphic card, and 32 GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 3000 RAM.

My old one could not update past Yosemite.

I've done everything according to this build description, EXCEPT changing the wi-fi board, it is still stock.
I have to find a vendor here in Norway who has it.

In the start of Phase 2, at:

"After the reboot, press F12 at the BIOS screen and choose the same USB flash disk to boot from. When Clover boot menu appears, once again choose Boot macOS Install from Mojave. This will continue the Phase 2 process."

My installation freezes right at the start with 12-13 mins left so I can't get to the auto reboot you mention later in the build description.

Is this freeze due to my wi-fi board? Can I just take it out and try to continue the installation?

Any advice is very much appreciated!!!

EDIT:
Boot drive is a Samsung 970 Evo Plus. I saw just now that it is not compatible with OSX so I probably have to change it.

Which NVMe drive is most recommended?

Last edited:
@Stubings : EVO PLUS drives are currently not supported. I just did a successful install with an Samsung 970 PRO M2 drive.

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with the Asus PCE-AC68, but the kernel panic backtrace is coming from the Airport (Broadcom) driver. Some suggestions:
  • Try removing the Asus PCE-AC68.
  • The on-board Intel CNVi WiFi/BT module might be interfering with the Asus. You may also try installing "SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-NO-CNVW.aml" by copying it to the CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder. It should would on the AORUS Extreme.
Please let us know if the problem persists. @rj510 has the AORUS Extreme Waterforce, so perhaps he can offer some guidance as well.

Solved, I had to move the card to the third PCIe X16 slot.
I had some problems with audio but I solved those too, now everything seems to work.
I have to change the name of the CPU and check that all USB ports and energy saving systems work.

@datadl : Thanks for the reply! I will change the drive. the EVO disks are recommended in the buyers guide. Are they for a different OS X than Mojave?

@Stubings : EVO drives are currently not supported. I just did a successful install with an Samsung 970 PRO M2 drive.

Attachments

• evo.JPG
    evo.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 225
Back