Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

You've got a CustoMac in full time "ludicrous mode."

@CaseySJ

I got the Installer log. There are some errors as follows.
My SSD is 960 EVO. It is not compatible to the hackintosh?

Code:
Clover EFI installer log - Mon Apr  8 18:32:17 JST 2019
Installer version: v2.4k r4428 EFI bootloader
======================================================
/dev/disk0 (internal):
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                         1.0 TB     disk0
   1:                        EFI EFI                     314.6 MB   disk0s1
   2:          Apple_CoreStorage Macintosh HD            999.6 GB   disk0s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk0s3

/dev/disk1 (internal, virtual):
   0:                  Apple_HFS Macintosh HD           +999.2 GB   disk1
                                 Logical Volume on disk0s2
                                 E6AD5B64-804E-4B9D-BDE3-1402B8DBADE2
                                 Unencrypted

/dev/disk2 (external, physical):
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *62.7 GB    disk2
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk2s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS Install macOS High S... 62.4 GB    disk2s2

Backing up EFI files

Installing BootSectors/BootLoader

Stage 0 - Don't write any of boot0af, boot0md, boot0ss to /Volumes/Install macOS High Sierra
Stage 1 - Don't write any of boot1h2, boot1f32alt, boot1xalt to /Volumes/Install macOS High Sierra

=========== Clover EFI Installation Finish ===========
Several comments / questions:
  • Have you downloaded the complete High Sierra installer? It should be about 6GB.
  • Your USB install disk is 64GB. This might create some problems. To be safe, you should partition it into two 32GB partitions or, better yet, just use a 16GB or 32GB flash disk instead.
  • Also ensure that you have included Change SAT0 to SATA in Clover Configurator --> ACPI. Because the EVO 960 is a SATA SSD, you will need this.

Last edited:
Good Afternoon @CaseySJ,

I appreciate your thorough and comprehensive guide. I have en-route the following hardware:
I ordered all of this before I even saw your thread, wish I would have seen it sooner. My question to you if you have a moment, is may I use your guide, although our mobo's are different? I have seen this guide by jbarnette:

[SUCCESS] jbarnette's Build - Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming + i9-9900K + Sapphire RX Vega 64 8GB + 32GB RAM + MacOS 10.14.3 w/ USB3 working!

I intend to follow part of that guide, however, your guide is extremely comprehensive, and there are a plethora of instructions that I believe may be conducive to my build. I just was curious, if I could use portions of your guide while creating my build, and if you have any advice I would be extremely grateful.

Last edited:
Hello @gyrene2083,

Most of this guide will apply to the Gigabyte Z390M Gaming with the following exceptions:
  • The USB ports on your motherboard are different. Fortunately, jbarnett has provided a custom USB SSDT for the Z390M Gaming.
  • The Thunderbolt SSDT and its associated SSDT-DTPG do not apply because Z390M Gaming lacks on-board Thunderbolt. So you may skip these two SSDTs.
  • The Z390M Gaming uses the ALC892 audio codec instead of the ALC1220-VB. However, AppleALC supports them both, but you may need to try different Layout IDs.
  • You may also skip SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-NO-CNVW because the Z390M Gaming does not have the (unusable) Intel CNVi WiFi/BT card.
  • You may also skip the SmallTreeIntel82576 kext (and the two FakePCIID_* kexts) because they apply only to the Intel i211 GigE port, which is not present. However, there's absolutely no harm in keeping them. These kexts will only attach to the i211 GigE device, if one exists.
  • To activate the HDMI port on your motherboard (during Post-Installation), you may simply grab the framebuffer connector settings from here (there's one specifically for Z390M Gaming). But you may also choose to apply a headless platform ID in which the iGPU is used only for compute tasks, but not for driving a display monitor. In this case, keep your monitor connected to the RX 580.
You may follow the full UniBeast and MultiBeast instructions from this guide, as well as the instructions for modifying config.plist and drivers64UEFI. If you encounter any issues, feel free to post here. We've helped other Z390M Gaming owners in this thread.

In order to set headless mode:
  • BIOS --> IGFX --> Enabled.
  • BIOS --> Initial Display Output --> PCIe Slot <N>.
  • Platform ID 0x3E980003 for 10.14.4.
  • Device-id (do not specify) for 10.14.4. Just delete "device-id" parameter.
  • Delete all of the framebuffer-con* parameters. The IGPU will not display video, so no video connectors should be specified.
  • Sysdef = Macmini8,1 or iMac18,3

It looks working but actually, it's not. After for a while, the screen turns black even I chose primarily to my discrete GPU.

What I did
  • BIOS --> Internal Graphics --> Enabled.
  • BIOS --> Initial Display Output --> PCIe Slot 1.
  • Delete "device-id" parameter.
  • Delete all of the framebuffer-con* parameters.

All pictures look ok just like I said. After a while, the screen is turning black.

It looks working but actually, it's not. After for a while, the screen turns black even I chose primarily to my discrete GPU.

What I did
  • BIOS --> Internal Graphics --> Enabled.
  • BIOS --> Initial Display Output --> PCIe Slot 1.
  • Delete "device-id" parameter.
  • Delete all of the framebuffer-con* parameters.
View attachment 398729

View attachment 398730

View attachment 398731

View attachment 398732

All pictures look ok just like I said. After a while, the screen is turning black.
All of the settings look correct.

However:
  • Screen turns black "after a while" when your monitor is connected to RX 560.
  • (Platform ID 0x3E980003 is headless, which means iGPU will not display video, but will be used for compute tasks.)
Questions:
  • How long before screen goes black? Always <x> minutes? Or at random frequencies?
  • When screen goes black, can you "wake" it by pressing one or two keys on the keyboard?
  • Are you connecting via HDMI or DVI? (The HP 2711x monitor does not support DisplayPort.)
  • Can you post a screenshot of your System Preferences --> Energy Saver? Is your monitor set to sleep after 15 minutes?
  • When screen goes black, do the fans stop spinning? If you have 3 or 4 case fans for air circulation, do they stop spinning?
  • What is the rating of your power supply? 550W? 750W?
Edit: Your HP 2711x monitor is an old model that is 1080p with VGA, DVI, and HDMI. Owners of similar models have found that they need to open System Preferences --> Displays. Then choose scaled and select a resolution with a different refresh rate. This example is from my MacBook Air, so your choices will be different.
Screen Shot 2019-04-10 at 2.29.07 PM.png
Please see this post for more info:

Last edited:
All of the settings look correct.

However:
  • Screen turns black "after a while" when your monitor is connected to RX 560.
  • (Platform ID 0x3E980003 is headless, which means iGPU will not display video, but will be used for compute tasks.)
Questions:
  • How long before screen goes black? Always <x> minutes? Or at random frequencies?
  • When screen goes black, can you "wake" it by pressing one or two keys on the keyboard?
  • Are you connecting via HDMI or DVI? (The HP 2711x monitor does not support DisplayPort.)
  • Can you post a screenshot of your System Preferences --> Energy Saver? Is your monitor set to sleep after 15 minutes?
  • When screen goes black, do the fans stop spinning? If you have 3 or 4 case fans for air circulation, do they stop spinning?
  • What is the rating of your power supply? 550W? 750W?
Edit: Your HP 2711x monitor is an old model that is 1080p with VGA, DVI, and HDMI. Owners of similar models have found that they need to open System Preferences --> Displays. Then choose scaled and select a resolution with a different refresh rate. This example is from my MacBook Air, so your choices will be different.
View attachment 398736
Please see this post for more info:
  • At random frequencies.
  • No, always I must reset from the case
  • I am connecting via HDMI
  • No, Display and Computer sleep set as a Never
  • No, fans are still working. Also, my sleep/wake working without any problem
  • 850W
Different scale messed up the view.

Back