Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

You should be able to run a second Vega with either of those SMBIOS names.

Regarding iGPU, do you get boot failures when enabling it in BIOS, or there’s a different problem?
I am back to having Final Cut fail to export. iGPU is enabled but noo boot failures. Other than that the system is the same. As far as adding the second Vega64... I get the results seen in the attached image.

Attachments

• IMG_2164.JPG
    IMG_2164.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 99
  • Screen Shot 2019-03-29 at 11.51.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-03-29 at 11.51.37 PM.png
    77.5 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
This seems to be a fairly common problem. If you search the website for “RX580 black screen” you’ll find a number of possible solutions.

Yes, I've searched this site and elsewhere with no luck, but I actually made some progress tonight. I had the DVMT Pre-Allocated set to 128M for a while and haven't thought about it lately. I changed it back to 64M which made things worse, stayed stuck on black screen. I then bumped it up to 256M and now the Sapphire RX580 DP shows BIOS and clover while a second monitor on HDMI stays black until Apple logo. I'll play around more over the weekend.

Hello CaseySJ,

I have the exact same build as you, except the 32GB RAM (I have 16) and the Bluetooth card. I did the first run and all things go so smoothly without any problems. (I thought, ohh it's not a big deal to build a hacki dähm). But, I made a mistake in the post installation because I didn't open the config.plist in EFI. I edited it without open the config.plist, and saved an new one, my bad. Now I try to make the same steps like in my first run but the booting from USB -> Boot macOS Install fails every time (image 1). I don't know if it has to do with the NVME SSD because, if I press F12, I have 4 different choices see (image 2). I tried recover as you mentioned

Because the boot process stops when trying to Load Kernel Cache, we can rebuild kernel cache like this:

1. Reboot computer and choose "Recovery" volume from Clover screen.
2. If Recovery system starts normally, it will ask you to select Language.
3. Then choose Tools --> Terminal.
4. In Terminal window, rebuild kernel cache like this:
Code:
cd /
kextcache -i /Volumes/Mojave

But it fails to (image 3). I tried everything but i think it has to do with the pre installed macOS on the NVMe, but I don't have any clues how to delete/format the M.2 drive?

Thx for your awesome build and your help.

Attachments

• IMG_1989.jpg
    IMG_1989.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 87
  • IMG_1990.jpg
    IMG_1990.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 86
  • IMG_1991.jpg
    IMG_1991.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 94
Yes, I've searched this site and elsewhere with no luck, but I actually made some progress tonight. I had the DVMT Pre-Allocated set to 128M for a while and haven't thought about it lately. I changed it back to 64M which made things worse, stayed stuck on black screen. I then bumped it up to 256M and now the Sapphire RX580 DP shows BIOS and clover while a second monitor on HDMI stays black until Apple logo. I'll play around more over the weekend.
Please try the two suggestions I mentioned in this post:

compressed EFI
Your configuration looks fine.
  • Is your USB stick plugged into a black USB 2 port?
  • Are you installing 10.14.3 or 10.14.4?
  • Are you installing Mojave to M.2 NVMe drive? If so, what is the make and model of the drive?
  • Finally, please use your smartphone to take a video of the startup messages. Then scrub the video back a few frames until just before the core dump happens. If unsure about this, simply grab the last 5 non-overlapping frames of the video.

Last edited:
Hello CaseySJ,

I have the exact same build as you, except the 32GB RAM (I have 16) and the Bluetooth card. I did the first run and all things go so smoothly without any problems. (I thought, ohh it's not a big deal to build a hacki dähm). But, I made a mistake in the post installation because I didn't open the config.plist in EFI. I edited it without open the config.plist, and saved an new one, my bad. Now I try to make the same steps like in my first run but the booting from USB -> Boot macOS Install fails every time (image 1). I don't know if it has to do with the NVME SSD because, if I press F12, I have 4 different choices see (image 2). I tried recover as you mentioned

Because the boot process stops when trying to Load Kernel Cache, we can rebuild kernel cache like this:

1. Reboot computer and choose "Recovery" volume from Clover screen.
2. If Recovery system starts normally, it will ask you to select Language.
3. Then choose Tools --> Terminal.
4. In Terminal window, rebuild kernel cache like this:
Code:
cd /
kextcache -i /Volumes/Mojave

But it fails to (image 3). I tried everything but i think it has to do with the pre installed macOS on the NVMe, but I don't have any clues how to delete/format the M.2 drive?

Thx for your awesome build and your help.
Hello Huxlay, when you boot from the USB (press F12 at BIOS splash screen), please choose “Boot macOS from Mojave”. Because you’ve already installed Mojave, you should not choose “Boot macOS Install”.

If you have already tried this, please let me know.

I saw you answered some questions. Do you have clue with my problem? Sorry for the trouble.

Last edited:
Hello Huxlay, when you boot from the USB (press F12 at BIOS splash screen), please choose “Boot macOS from Mojave”. Because you’ve already installed Mojave, you should not choose “Boot macOS Install”.

If you have already tried this, please let me know.
Thx for the fast reply. I tried this but I get a message that this build is not compatible with this hardware. I tried to recreate an post an image.

Attachments

• IMG_1992.jpg
    IMG_1992.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 96
Thx for the fast reply. I tried this but I get a message that this build is not compatible with this hardware. I tried to recreate an post an image.
Which version of MacOS are you installing? 10.14.0? You can right-click on the 6GB “Install MacOS Mojave” file on your Mac and select “Get Info”.

Which version of MacOS are you installing? 10.14.0? You can right-click on the 6GB “Install MacOS Mojave” file on your Mac and select “Get Info”.

the problem is i had Mojave running fine made all changes in the post installation but made a mistake. I dont get it the first try was without any problems. Is it possible that the NVMe SSD with the UEFI makes some problems?

Now i tried boot from the NVMe and it shows a new message or the same as if i boot from the USB

Attachments

• IMG_1994.jpg
    IMG_1994.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Back