Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Just curious, what is this supposed to do ? :think:

@CaseySJ ,

I have just tried connecting my Akitio Thunder2 Quad (Thunderbolt 2 enclosure), but unfortunately it was not recognized. It was woking fine on the same High Sierra on my Z77x-up5th.

I'm using Apple Thunderbolt/2 to USB-C adapter. System report shows - Thunderbolt: No drivers are loaded. Do you know what could be possibly checked?

Thanks

@CaseySJ ,

I have just tried connecting my Akitio Thunder2 Quad (Thunderbolt 2 enclosure), but unfortunately it was not recognized. It was woking fine on the same High Sierra on my Z77x-up5th.

I'm using Apple Thunderbolt/2 to USB-C adapter. System report shows - Thunderbolt: No drivers are loaded. Do you know what could be possibly checked?

Thanks

@CaseySJ , just went over and double checked the BIOS setting and had to change Security Level from User Authorization to No Security under Thunderbolt menus. And everything works now! Can be hot plugged now as well which never happened on Z77x-up5!

So you can add Akitio Thunder2 Quad enclosure to your list as working device.

Thanks!!

hello everyone for my post install it freezes on multibeast when installing intelmausiethernet v2.4.0. Please help.

I encountered some strange Thunderbolt issues yesterday that may be somewhat similar to what you're experiencing. I was trying to observe the consequences in BIOS of setting this:
  • Power
    • ErP → Enabled
In the build guide, ErP is Disabled. However, someone stated that enabling this might fully power down USB ports during shutdown, but I believe this leads to some unexpected problems with Thunderbolt where no devices will be connected.

So it's back to:
  • Power
    • ErP → Disabled
And now Thunderbolt is stable once again. So if you have this "Enabled", try disabling it. Then save and exit. And do a shutdown. Then unplug from wall for 10 seconds, and reboot.
Thanks for the tip! Unfortunately I already had ErP disabled.

I've been doing a little more testing. I got my apogee ensemble firewire to connect after booting using TH3-TH2 and TH2-FW adapters. So it looks like I am getting some hot swapping capabilities. After booting another time I tried it again and it didn't work though. Maybe if I ever update to high sierra or mojave I will get some better functionality. For now it seems hit or miss on hot swapping. But it works every time if I have it plugged in before boot. It's not too big of an issue for me personally, I usually keep everything plugged in anyways. And the occasional piece of gear that I don't, I can reboot for.

@CaseySJ , just went over and double checked the BIOS setting and had to change Security Level from User Authorization to No Security under Thunderbolt menus. And everything works now! Can be hot plugged now as well which never happened on Z77x-up5!

So you can add Akitio Thunder2 Quad enclosure to your list as working device.

Thanks!!
Done, thanks!

Thanks for the tip! Unfortunately I already had ErP disabled.

I've been doing a little more testing. I got my apogee ensemble firewire to connect after booting using TH3-TH2 and TH2-FW adapters. So it looks like I am getting some hot swapping capabilities. After booting another time I tried it again and it didn't work though. Maybe if I ever update to high sierra or mojave I will get some better functionality. For now it seems hit or miss on hot swapping. But it works every time if I have it plugged in before boot. It's not too big of an issue for me personally, I usually keep everything plugged in anyways. And the occasional piece of gear that I don't, I can reboot for.
After some more tinkering last night, I think ErP may be okay. I recently installed Apple's Boot Camp drivers on my Windows disk, and I believe this may have resulted in Thunderbolt problems when booting back into Mojave. I've removed Boot Camp drivers and will do some more back-and-forth testing between Windows and macOS to see if devices connect to Thunderbolt after each switch.

hello everyone for my post install it freezes on multibeast when installing intelmausiethernet v2.4.0. Please help.
Hi, I see this is your first post. Welcome to the forum. The rules here require you to update your profile with the name of your motherboard, CPU, and GPU. After that we'll be happy to help.

Awesome -- glad to hear it!

I would like to add both the LaCie 2Big 12TB and LaCie 4TB TB2 drives to the Thunderbolt Experiences section, but need to clarify the following:
  • Are you using the Thunderbolt 2 version of the 2Big 12TB drive, or the Thunderbolt 3 version? (I am assuming it's the former.)
  • Are you using the LaCie d2 Thunderbolt 2 4TB drive?

Great! Sure.
I'm using the Thunderbolt 2 / 2BIG 12TB (LAC9000473U) with Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter.
My Lacie Rugged 4TB (STFS4000800) is attached in the TB2 port in the back of the 2BIG.

This is for a new build using the z390 Designare and core i9 9900k . Also GTX 1080ti. The GA-z87x-ud5-th was my original build from several years ago. I added the new build to my profile. Should I make this my main build on there? Not sure exactly how the rules about that work.

Yes, I'm using the onboard HDMI. Before your patch that I modified for Kaby Lake, I was either getting low res/ no acceleration, or left with a bunch of info from verbose mode that was stuck on the screen when I tried just using the Kaby Lake ig platform and device id. All the other kaby lake ig platforms I tried gave me a black screen. But I still had output from the 1080ti.

For Thunderbolt, I haven't done enough testing yet. I tried using your ssdt files, and thunderbolt is recognized as a pci device without anything plugged in. It just shows titan ridge, but not under thunderbolt devices. I tried hot swapping my UAD Satellite Octo with no success. My experience with thunderbolt on my z87 build as well as my lenovo yoga laptop is that it works nativly in OSX as long as you have it plugged in before boot. It usually just shows up as a pci bridge device, but works fine. I'm using a th3-th2 adapter on the Designare and I also have a blackmagic mini recorder I can test as well as a th2-firewire adapter. I'll let you know the results.

Hi @GeeztownProductions

I'm wondering if UAD drivers require some sort of "local node" or "bus driver" for power-on-off-on-off (UAD hot swap) as is written about for another device here. We know that the power swap, and power on UAD after boot on a real Mac works, so I'm wondering if that's it. GC-Alpine Ridge with an SSDT over here.

Back