Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

This happened to another user recently. We think it's due to WhateverGreen, but we're not sure. The name of the GPU does make sense, however:

CFL = Coffee Lake, which is the 8th and 9th generation Intel CPU.

@CaseySJ , got it and thanks a lot for this clarification!

So I just wanted to confirm that at this point I should not be worried about the fact that it does not show "Intel UHD Graphics 630" or should I?

The Hackintool though shows "Intel UHD Graphics 630 (Desktop)" in Framebuffer Info which is correct and "Intel HD Graphics CFL 2048 MB" in GPU Info. I'm curious because in your screenshots it shows "Intel UHD Graphics 630" in both places.

@CaseySJ , got it and thanks a lot for this clarification!

So I just wanted to confirm that at this point I should not be worried about the fact that it does not show "Intel UHD Graphics 630" or should I?

The Hackintool though shows "Intel UHD Graphics 630 (Desktop)" in Framebuffer Info which is correct and "Intel HD Graphics CFL 2048 MB" in GPU Info. I'm curious because in your screenshots it shows "Intel UHD Graphics 630" in both places.
If you are using Clover to inject graphics (i.e. Inject Intel is enabled, IntelGFX is used, and ig-platform-id is also used) then you will see Intel HD Graphics CFL.

But if you disable and clear all three of these parameters and instead using Devices --> Properties to inject framebuffer settings (this activates WhateverGreen), then you should see Intel UHD Graphics 630. See the 2nd spoiler here.

You should not inject graphics properties with both Clover and WhateverGreen at the same time. Only one or the other.

If you are using Clover to inject graphics (i.e. Inject Intel is enabled, IntelGFX is used, and ig-platform-id is also used) then you will see Intel HD Graphics CFL.

But if you disable and clear all three of these parameters and instead using Devices --> Properties to inject framebuffer settings (this activates WhateverGreen), then you should see Intel UHD Graphics 630. See the 2nd spoiler here.

My machine works without any issues in headless mode. I just verified your recommendation (Inject Intel is disabled, IntelGFX is not used, ig-platform-id is not used), but Hackintool still shows Intel HD Graphics CFL (2048 MB) in the GPU Info section. The Devices-Properties settings are correct (PlatformID = 0300913E).

My machine works without any issues in headless mode. I just verified your recommendation (Inject Intel is disabled, IntelGFX is not used, ig-platform-id is not used), but Hackintool still shows Intel HD Graphics CFL (2048 MB) in the GPU Info section. The Devices-Properties settings are correct (PlatformID = 0300913E).
I should have mentioned that in the second case we typically see “Intel Graphics UHD 630”, but not always.

@jdapolo @trs96

Bluetooth on the Fenvi FV-T919 works when it's installed into a long slot. The bottom long slot in the Designare Z390 is only 4 lanes wide, and that's where I am testing it.
  • Had to re-pair my Bluetooth keyboard.
  • I am streaming Bluetooth to a remote speaker and typing on a Bluetooth keyboard at the same time. I do notice some audio dropouts, but they are few and far between.
  • Bluetooth can be turned Off and On again with no problem. Devices reconnect when turned back on.
  • Sleep works fine, and I can wake the computer by pressing a key on the Bluetooth keyboard (yes, wake from Bluetooth keyboard is working).
  • I've connected both the Apple Wireless Keyboard and the Keytron K1 Keyboard via Bluetooth. Wake was tested with the Keytron K1.
  • WiFi is, of course, fine in either a x1 or x4 (long) slot.
So I am going to reinstate the recommendation for this card, but only when installed in a long slot.

So I think I can finally confirm that the Fenvi I have (same as yours @CaseySJ) is working fine as long as it's not in an X1 slot--that is when both Bluetooth and Wifi are needed.

Also, I'm not sure if this can help anyone, but I just got my bnew Sony WH1000XM3 headphones and unlike the inexpensive QCY QC29 headset I used which cause delays in video playback, this Sony headphone works perfectly.

I have to admit though, I'm a bit disappointed to know though that the Fenvi I opted is not TOTALLY compatible. But all is good. Hehe

@CaseySJ I have followed every step on your guide and manage to sucess on a i7 8700 and Z390 designare / 16gb ddr4 / RX 580 saphire pulse

I can confirm that using the Apple dongle TB3>TB2 works (using a Lacie 2big 12TB in raid + Lacie 4TB Tb2 connected on its back) and everthing shows up as in the screenshot. (hot plug works aswell)

Last edited:
I should have mentioned that in the second case we typically see “Intel Graphics UHD 630”, but not always.

@CaseySJ, thanks a lot for clarification. I may be one of those who gets that CFL instead of its 'true' description. It works perfectly fine though. Will give it sometime and hopefully it will continue to work this way.

Thanks again for all your help!!

So I think I can finally confirm that the Fenvi I have (same as yours @CaseySJ) is working fine as long as it's not in an X1 slot--that is when both Bluetooth and Wifi are needed.

Also, I'm not sure if this can help anyone, but I just got my bnew Sony WH1000XM3 headphones and unlike the inexpensive QCY QC29 headset I used which cause delays in video playback, this Sony headphone works perfectly.

I have to admit though, I'm a bit disappointed to know though that the Fenvi I opted is not TOTALLY compatible. But all is good. Hehe
It may be compatible with x1 slots on other motherboards. I am also tempted to try something a bit impractical and silly, but since I have a few of these lying around, I might as well!!

@CaseySJ I have followed every step on your guide and manage to sucess on a i7 8700 and Z390 designare / 16gb ddr4 / RX 580 saphire pulse

I can confirm that using the Apple dongle TB3>TB2 works (using a Lacie 2big 12TB in raid + Lacie 4TB Tb2 connected on its back) and everthing shows up as in the screenshot. (hot plug works aswell) View attachment 392485
Awesome -- glad to hear it!

I would like to add both the LaCie 2Big 12TB and LaCie 4TB TB2 drives to the Thunderbolt Experiences section, but need to clarify the following:
  • Are you using the Thunderbolt 2 version of the 2Big 12TB drive, or the Thunderbolt 3 version? (I am assuming it's the former.)
  • Are you using the LaCie d2 Thunderbolt 2 4TB drive?

I have interesting news … My MOTU 8A Thunderbolt interface is working perfectly with the Z390 Designare – without any Thunderbolt 2 dock in between. The MOTU is the only Thunderbolt device that is connected to the motherboard at the moment. I don’t know why it didn’t work when I first tried it (perhaps some BIOS settings or BIOS version 4 instead of 6c? No idea). Since this is actually a Thunderbolt 1 interface it’s really interesting that it’s working.
@CaseySJ You can update this on page 1, if you like. No dock needed, the MOTU is just working fine.
Yes, connected via the standard Apple Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3/USB-C Adapter.
This may be the first Thunderbolt 1 device known to work on the Designare Z390 motherboard with just an Apple TB2-to-TB3 adapter.

Back