Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Ah, you're right... no thunderbolt header for the Designare :D Is there a viable Thunderbolt PCIe card route that I could take? Maybe the Gigabyte Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt 3 card might work?
Although the GC-Alpine Ridge connects to a THB_C header on the motherboard, I've seen cases where the card works without the header being connected. You might lose sleep/wake/hot-plug capabilities.

But this post even describes a METHOD 2 for hot-plug without connecting the THB_C.

Maybe you and/or @AlexD should try this (but be prepared to return the item)!

Ok, so if I disable hyper threading, I can get a lot farther in the boot process. It is not consistently failing at the same spot, but most recently it failed about 3 min into booting after sending a signal to apple via the ethernet cable that I forgot I had plugged in.

Lately, it has been failing at "AppleUSBXHCIPCI : createPort: failed to attach or start port 26" and "AppleUSBHostResources : : allocateDownstreamBusCurrentGated"

Although the GC-Alpine Ridge connects to a THB_C header on the motherboard, I've seen cases where the card works without the header being connected. You might lose sleep/wake/hot-plug capabilities.

But this post even describes a METHOD 2 for hot-plug without connecting the THB_C.

Maybe you and/or @AlexD should try this (but be prepared to return the item)!

Ok, I'll see if I can still get a GA alpine ridge pcie card.

Thank you for your detailed and valuable responses as well as your recommendations! Couldn't have set this mobo up without you!

One very minor thing that still plagues me: I used to run the "Universe" theme on my older system. I downloaded the Universe theme and put it in the EFI theme folder. I then opened Clover configurator and I chose "Universe" in the theme and then saved the config.plist file. It still boots with the "embedded" theme. Do I have to manually insert a theme section in the config.plist?

Thank you for the positive comments! :)

Which specific Thunderbolt 3 external drive enclosure are you using? I would like to add make/model to the build guide, Thunderbolt 3 Experiences.

At the moment, all my external hard disk are Thunderbolt 2. I will only have access to Thunderbolt 3 hard disk probably next week. I 'm using the Startech Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt adapter.

The Thunderbolt 2 drives I'm using now and is hot plug-able are:
1) G-raid from G technology
2) OWC Thunderbay 4

I checked some system report entries to compare them to the ones you displayed in your post-installation check.

I noticed that my Ethernet as well as USB connections are way off:

The only Ethernet card I see is the I211 and nothing else (do they need to have an Ethernet cable connected to show up?)

Screenshot 2019-01-10 at 07.31.09.png

My PCI section looks also way less crowded than yours:

Screenshot 2019-01-10 at 07.29.00.png

As far as the Thunderbolt IORegistry entries are concerned: My post above displayed only the Thunderbolt related entries after I searched for Thunderbolt in the search window. If I scroll down to the Thunderbolt entries, I get this picture:

Screenshot 2019-01-10 at 07.27.35.png

I guess it does show that something is connected via Thunderbolt, it just doesn't seem to support it fully, or am I interpreting this incorrectly?

At the moment, all my external hard disk are Thunderbolt 2. I will only have access to Thunderbolt 3 hard disk probably next week. I 'm using the Startech Thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt adapter.

The thunderbolt 2 drives I'm using now and is hot plug-able are:
1) G-raid from G technology
2) OWC Thunderbay 4
Thanks -- post 1 updated.

@CaseySJ - So, I think I have found what may be the issue, but I am not sure it is helpful. I have tried your V3 config and I am having the same issue.

First off, attached is my bios images, it only details the intel nic and does not speak of the aquantia. Secondly, taking more images of the panic, I see a few interesting things:

"Invalidation IPI Timeout, unresponsive CPU bitmap 0x1101"
"Create IOReporters ..... No service found"
"configure interests ...... failed to configure interests"

These all seem like bad things to me, is this ringing any bells?

Also, attached is my current EFI - am I missing any kexts that I am being dumb and not including?

Thank you again for all the help.
Hi frickergg,

I have the same motherboard/CPU (although using an Nvidia 980ti) as you and I've got it running on both High Sierra & Mojave (only iGPU as there aren't yet any Nvidia webdrivers) and I'll send you my BIOS screenshots (F4) & EFI folder as soon as I'm back home today, ok?

Even my Aquantia Ethernet works, although only at 1GB...

I checked some system report entries to compare them to the ones you displayed in your post-installation check.

I noticed that my Ethernet as well as USB connections are way off:

The only ethernet card I see is the I211 and nothing else (do they need to have an ethernet cable connected to show up?)

View attachment 378025
This indicates that you're missing IntelMausiEthernet.kext. Your CLOVER/kexts/Other folder does not have it. Please check /Library/Extensions. If missing entirely, you may copy it to CLOVER/kexts/Other and reboot.

My PCI section looks also way less crowded than yours:

View attachment 378026
That is actually fine! Mine is crowded because of the RX580 and the devices built into my OWC TB3 Dock.

As far as the thunderbolt ioregistry entries are concerned: My post above displayed only the thunderbolt related entries after I searched for thunderbolt in the search window. If I scroll down to the Thunderbolt entries, I get this picture:

View attachment 378027
That makes sense as well. Those XHC entries and the two HSxx and SSxx sub-nodes indicate that the two USB-C Thunderbolt 3 connectors support High Speed (HSxx) USB and Super Speed (SSxx) USB devices.

I guess it does show that something is connected via Thunderbolt, it just doesn't seem to support it fully, or am I interpreting this incorrectly?
As mentioned, those are placeholders for USB devices. If you have a USB-C flash disk or any other USB-C device, try plugging it in and see what happens to IOReg!

Hi frickergg,

I have the same motherboard/CPU (although using an Nvidia 980ti) as you and I've got it running on both High Sierra & Mojave (only iGPU as there aren't yet any Nvidia webdrivers) and I'll send you my BIOS screenshots (F4) & EFI folder as soon as I'm back home today, ok?

Even my Aquantia Ethernet works, although only at 1GB...
Because that's a more advanced version of the Gigabyte Z390 series motherboards, please post your files here. We'd love to take a look, and that might allow me to add a new section to the build guide for users of this motherboard.

Back