i9-13900K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi @heythisisdave and @djx8605

I have the exact same problem... My mac is freezing, screen is on but I can't move my mouse. I think we should find the common thing we have to find the solution.

My exact config is :
  • Sapphire RX 580 PULSE OC, 8GB GDDR

I hope we will find a solution together :)

Make sure the 580 overclock jumper is not turned on. I spent over 2 months finding out that this was the problem.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 590
I think I've found a way to make Aptiomemoryfix without turning off anything or changing the suggested optimal Bios settings for this build.

Yesterday spent some time with the new F8 Bios,( was a nightmare, wasn't able to boot with iGPU enabled , tried for many hours till a I gave up) so went back to Bios F6 loaded optimized default and then changed all Bios settings ( as suggested in first post again) , so all the sudden was able to boot with Aptiomemoryfix, never was able to do it before, I was using OSXAptioFix-Free2000 as most people here.

So the only major change was to reflash Bios F6 , no other changes, slide, etc

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
Make sure the 580 overclock jumper is not turned on. I spent over 2 months finding out that this was the problem.

I checked, the position mode is Gaming Mode not Compute Mode.

Last edited:
Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z690 Creator WiF
CPU
i9-12900K
Graphics
RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
I think I've found a way to make Aptiomemoryfix without turning off anything or changing the suggested optimal Bios settings for this build.

Yesterday spent some time with the new F8 Bios,( was a nightmare, wasn't able to boot with iGPU enabled , tried for many hours till a I gave up) so went back to Bios F6 loaded optimized default and then changed all Bios settings ( as suggested in first post again) , so all the sudden was able to boot with Aptiomemoryfix, never was able to do it before, I was using OSXAptioFix-Free2000 as most people here.

So the only major change was to reflash Bios F6 , no other changes, slide, etc

I wonder if it's because you haven't touched CSM or Boot Menu? That's how I stumbled upon it. Maybe try flashing to F8 without enabling CSM or using Boot Menu?

Rag

Motherboard
Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi
CPU
i9-13900K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I checked, the position mode is Gaming Mode not Compute Mode.

The problem is exactly that. Switch to compute mode.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
The problem is exactly that. Switch to compute mode.

Are you sure ?

IMG_8168.JPG

Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i9-9900k
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
So I updated to Catalina this evening and began to do the initial tests :) I noticed that my USB drives are no longer getting ejected after sleep! Can anyone else confirm or deny this behavior? I've tested various USB ports and various sleep lengths, as soon as I wake the system, the drives are there on the desktop... I checked my RAM to make sure something didn't change, and it is still at 3200MHz... I'm wondering if...
1. This is normal and things will work now?
2. I'm somehow getting lucky and this may or may not work later...
3. I'm dreaming this whole thing and will soon wake up to reality lol...

This didn't work in Mojave, as soon as I woke the system I'd get the disk not ejected properly message. Not so in Catalina.... I wonder if the new mac pro has higher speed RAM, and so the new OS is set to deal with that now?
Exact same results here. USB 3.0 HDD connected to front case port for Time Machine backups hasn't been ejected now for just under a week. Fingers crossed!

Motherboard
MSI GS75 Stealth 10SF - OC
CPU
i7-10750H
Graphics
Intel UHD graphics, 1920x1080
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS

At first we thought that it was @heythisisdave Windows SSD, but after further testing it seems that temps or the card was the problem. I have my RX 590 (nitro+, better cooler than the pulse AFAIK) on the regular switch, and my temps and system are fine; my define R6 does have good airflow and keeps cool though. I think @heythisisdave switched his out for the Gigabyte gaming and experienced better performance/no lockups...

I would check that your system temps are good, especially GPU. Also, is your 970+ on the latest firmware? Just for testing, have you tried removing the Windows drive to see if it makes a difference?

I do think that overclocking or GPU/system temps could be the cause of the issue...

Rag

Motherboard
Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi
CPU
i9-13900K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
It really seems that people like to suffer, they are trying thousands of configurations when the problem is simple to solve.
I already gave the recommendation, but it seems that he can not understand, damn much the jumper and test !!! and then draw your conclusions.