Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Question, if I disable CFGLock by manually setting the variable, what would make it go back to enabled? Just a reflash/update of the firmware? Or would resetting CMOS or loading a saved profile also modify that variable?
We can do the following to enable and disable CFG Lock:
  • setup_var_3 0x5c1 0 <-- disable CFG Lock
  • setup_var_3 0x5c1 1 <-- enable CFG Lock
Hence, no need to reflash BIOS.
BTW, is the classic BIOS menu still available in the new firmware (using F2 key), or was it removed? Personally I prefer that interface :)
F8 still supports both Simple Mode and Advanced Mode.
It seems that other than the changes you mentioned, prepping for 9900ks is the only update to the F8 release, trying to decide if I should go for it or stay on F7...
I've noticed a few more changes, but I don't think they have much functional consequences. So this is not a must-have update.

I updated because I need to prepare for a forthcoming update to the build guide.
Second question, how do I know if my USB ports are getting the full/extra current/power? System Info shows 900MA for USB3 and 500MA for USB2. I do have an EC device in IOReg, however (which is why I'm asking), in Mojave this device had a (subdevice?) in its tree, this one in Catalina is empty... Hopefully that's not why my drives are now not ejecting after sleep lol
Typically we would connect a high-power device such as an iPad and check for non-zero Extra Operating Current. Screenshot below is just a generic example (no high current devices plugged):

Screen Shot 2019-10-28 at 9.28.45 AM.png

On Catalina...
Flashed to BIOS F8. After a bit of rummaging around to find the settings everything seems to be fine.
I really like the new design. However, navigating backwards when you're 2 or 3 levels deep in a menu hierarchy seems possible only with the left-arrow key. And when we are 2 or 3 levels deep, it does not tell us where we are in the hierarchy (no "pathname"). A few teething issues, but overall I like the new direction.

Last edited:
I have not tried booting Windows from Clover yet. I suppose I'd need to create a config.plist for that.

You can either plug in the Windows drive and let Clover scan for it, or you can add it to custom boot entries.

The previous F9 BIOS had the same issue with CSM and Boot Menu. I could boot fine into windows under F9, but when I came back to Mac I would get the allocation error.

I wonder if it actually has to do with CSM, or if Windows is doing something to NVRAM and is messing up macOS boot? Have you tried keeping CSM disabled and booting Windows, then checking macOS boot? I'm assuming when using OSXAptioMemoryFix2DRV-free2000 you can boot Windows and macOS?

I think for me to maintain dual boot Windows/Mac I'll need to go the Clover route with Windows. Or just get used to clearing the CMOS every time I go into Windows. I haven't come across anything that doesn't work on the Mac side when I have CSM disabled. BTW-I'm running with 32gb ram.

In all my experience with this, CSM has no effect on macOS, as it is a modern (EFI compatible) OS. CSM is mainly used for Windows 7 or other operating systems that require MBR setups, or if you wish to use MBR instead of GPT. Windows 7 is EFI compatible, but it doesn't have EFI GOP (graphics output protocol) support, so on most modern boards, with CSM disabled you'll get a black screen or frozen Windows logo, unless you preinstall graphics drivers and remove default VGAPNP fallback drivers. So you can keep CSM disabled if using macOS and post Windows 7 OS...

Are you able to boot your Designare with iGPU enabled WITHOUT OsxAptioFix2Drv-Free2000?

Yes. I can boot macOS using AptioFix and OSXAptioMemoryFix3 using slide=0 with IGPU enabled. I have 32GB of RAM, but only 2 16GB sticks. My only peripherals though are just RX 590 and a firewire card. I removed the WIFI/BT module, since I wasn't going to use it

With AirPods Pro being announced today (goes on sale October 30), I wonder if we will see a new product release from Apple each day for the next 2 days...
  • AirPods Pro --> Monday
  • Mac Pro --> Tuesday??
  • 16" MacBook Pro --> Wednesday??
According to the red box, Catalina 10.15.1 should be released either tomorrow or Wednesday the 30th!

Link
Screen Shot 2019-10-28 at 10.03.06 AM.png

Last edited:
for quicker troubleshooting, is there a way to set audio layoutID's from the clover screen, rather than modifying the config.plist for each try?
thanks

You can change config settings (for that single boot) in the options section of Clover. Just go to options at the boot screen.
Alternatively, you can create multiple config files with different layouts, and name them such as config-3.plist, config-16.plist etc. (using the layout ID at the end). Then you can use Clover Options to change the config that loads by altering the name, so instead of config.plist, you would switch it to config-3.plist. Then return to the main boot screen and boot as usual.

HTH!

We can do the following to enable and disable CFG Lock:
  • setup_var_3 0x5c1 0 <-- disable CFG Lock
  • setup_var_3 0x5c1 1 <-- enable CFG Lock
Hence, no need to reflash BIOS.

F8 still supports both Simple Mode and Advanced Mode. ...

THX again @CaseySJ. I'll probably update then just in case any of it does result in gain later... Could always revert to F7 if need be.

My CFGLock question was more like what would revert the setting to enabled? For example if I set the variable to disabled and then later perform a CMOS reset (by removing battery or using UEFI load defaults), would CFGLock then be reenabled by the reset, prompting me to have to reset the variable? Hope that makes sense :)

You can either plug in the Windows drive and let Clover scan for it, or you can add it to custom boot entries.

I wonder if it actually has to do with CSM, or if Windows is doing something to NVRAM and is messing up macOS boot? Have you tried keeping CSM disabled and booting Windows, then checking macOS boot? I'm assuming when using OSXAptioMemoryFix2DRV-free2000 you can boot Windows and macOS?

I need to explore the Clover options for booting Windows. The Windows drive shows up in Clover, I've just never tried it figuring I need to create a config.plist for that.

I had no issues when I used OSXAptioMemoryFix2DRV-free2000 to enable the iGPU. I believe in my testing I hit the allocation error after just pulling up the Boot Menu.(Using AptioMemoryFix and iGPU enabled) I'll test that this evening and report back. Is there anything specific I need to do to boot Windows from Clover if I'm already seeing Windows as a boot option? Do the SSDT's come into play when booting or should I create a config.plist that disables them? This is new territory for me.

I need to explore the Clover options for booting Windows. The Windows drive shows up in Clover, I've just never tried it figuring I need to create a config.plist for that.

I had no issues when I used OSXAptioMemoryFix2DRV-free2000 to enable the iGPU. I believe in my testing I hit the allocation error after just pulling up the Boot Menu.(Using AptioMemoryFix and iGPU enabled) I'll test that this evening and report back. Is there anything specific I need to do to boot Windows from Clover if I'm already seeing Windows as a boot option? Do the SSDT's come into play when booting or should I create a config.plist that disables them? This is new territory for me.

You just select the Windows option from clover's boot menu (usually boot Microsoft efi from *). Clover will not touch Windows AFAIK, unless you put SSDT tables and such in the ACPI Windows folder. So selecting the entry from Clover should be good enough. :)

However, be aware that once you boot Windows, it may (most likely will) set itself as the default boot OS, so you may need to going in to UEFI setup and change it. TO avoid this we usually rename the Windows bootloader from bootmgfw.efi to bootmgfw-orig.efi. This seems to do the trick...

Keep CSM disabled, and test to see if Windows boot alone damages the macOS boot. Once I get some time (probably not today) I'll perform some tests of my own to see, since I'll be running a triple boot on this system :)

Let us know what you find...

Boot Screen (bottom half): Boot Screen --> Setting Opening Screen Mode:
View attachment 433099 View attachment 433098
Tweaker (XMP Profile and CPU Overclock): Save and Exit:
View attachment 433101 View attachment 433100
Smart Fan: Settings --> IO Ports --> WiFi Enable:
View attachment 433103 View attachment 433102
Thank's for the BIOS 8 rundown Casey
I had to have IGPU set to ENABLED to get VDA Decoding and sidecar working properly - Auto didn't cut it on my machine

Hi @heythisisdave and @djx8605

I have the exact same problem... My mac is freezing, screen is on but I can't move my mouse. I think we should find the common thing we have to find the solution.

My exact config is :
  • Sapphire RX 580 PULSE OC, 8GB GDDR5
  • be quiet! SILENT BASE 601
    Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE
    Intel Core i7-9700K, 3.6GHz, 12MB, BOX
  • EVGA Supernova 850GQ
  • SSD Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB M.2 PCIe x4 NVMe (Mac OS installed)
    SSD Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SATA3 (Mac OS installed copy of SSD Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB)
  • Kingston SSD 240 Go (Windows)
  • Noctua NH-U12S
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX, DDR4, 32 GB,3000MHz, CL15
Mac OS (Mojave 10.14.6) i installed on SSD Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB. This SSD is connected on fist M2 slot. The others SSD are connected on SATA.

My Sapphire RX 580 is connected with all cables.

View attachment 433153

View attachment 433154

My BIOS settings are exactly the sames like the tutorial.

My clover version is 5.4.5.0 and my settings are :

View attachment 433156
View attachment 433157
View attachment 433158
View attachment 433160
View attachment 433161
View attachment 433162
View attachment 433163
View attachment 433166
And all the kext and efi :

View attachment 433167
View attachment 433168
View attachment 433169
I hope we will find a solution together :)
When this happens can you still Remote Desktop (VNC) in to your machine? I was having a similar issue and had to make some changes in my config.plist (I had to remove Whatevergreen, and disable a KextToPatch "Prevent AGDP from loading").

THX again @CaseySJ. I'll probably update then just in case any of it does result in gain later... Could always revert to F7 if need be.

My CFGLock question was more like what would revert the setting to enabled? For example if I set the variable to disabled and then later perform a CMOS reset (by removing battery or using UEFI load defaults), would CFGLock then be reenabled by the reset, prompting me to have to reset the variable? Hope that makes sense :)
My understanding is that setup_var and its variants (setup_var_2 and setup_var_3) modify single bytes in the Setup.dxe section of firmware (hence the name). So re-flashing firmware will revert the change, but CMOS Reset and Load Optimized Defaults will not.

Back