Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I ordered a set of 32GB RAM modules but was unable to boot with them. I tried switching back to free2000 memory fix driver instead of AptioMemoryFix as well with no luck.

The BIOS sees the RAM, and I could boot into Windows 10 and it all work as well, but booting Mac just froze on End RandomSeed.

I used these: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Memory/vengeance-lpx-black/p/CMK64GX4M2D3000C16

I had 4 of their 16GB modules in, then I took 2 out to put in a pfSense+NAS box I built. I then put 2 32GB sticks in. I had put them in the second and fourth slots. I also tried removing the fourth so see if it would work with one and that failed as well.

It's all the same brand of RAM, and is all clocked at 2666Mhz.

Are these sticks completely incompatible, incompatible with the 16GB sticks (yet somehow fine in Windows), or is there a way to get them to work?

If these are a lost cause, are there any 32GB sticks that will work with Hackintosh on this board?

Mini question: is there a way to disable the "Updates Available" notifications for macOS? On my laptop I usually do the updates but now if I click restart, I'll probably screw this entire config

Please rename and try the attached file. This sets platform ID to 0x3E9B0007 (non-headless) and enables the HDMI port. Some graphics glitches are possible. Although this patch specifies connector values for all three port, it is also possible to delete the settings for all but the HDMI port. Depending on the existence and/or prevalence of glitches, this is something that can be tried. The most reliable video output is through the Thunderbolt ports (with a USB-C to DisplayPort cable). A Discrete GPU, on the other hand, is by far the preferred solution.

Thank you!

I'll give this a try in a minute and report back.

I have ordered a new monitor and USB-C adapter cable like you recommended. Hopefully, this clears up any further issues.

I will be using this puppy mostly for music production and post mixing to picture. Was going to try to see how it runs with out a proper GPU for those purposes. Never intended this to be a gaming machine.

Thanks again!

Is anyone running 128GB with macOS on this system? If so, what make and model of 32GB DIMMs are you using? Were any special configuration changes needed?

Please see post by @CODYQX4 above.

Got it, understood, thank you. I wonder if there is more tweaking to be done. It would be great to be close to the HW profile, no doubt. I might go sniff out benchmarks of a real i9 iMac compared to our setup for rendering.
Because Apple significantly improved thermal throttling with the iMac 19,1 and introduced 9th Gen Intel CPUs for the first time ever, we felt that the best choice “for most people” would be iMac 19,1. For video editors, however, iMacPro 1,1 provides better performance, but with more of a Frankenstein body (non-Xeon CPU, IGPU disabled, non-X99 and non-X299 chipset, no 10Gbit Ethernet, non-ECC memory, etc.).

Seems like there is an artificial limit somewhere in the system that causes sleep/eject issues. Memory past 2666 MHz? = Darn.. Mess with sleep and eject stuff!
It does seem somewhat arbitrary, but more than that, it seems like a bemusing non sequitur. The new Mac Pro maxes out at 2933 MHz memory, but also accommodates 128GB DIMMs. So perhaps Catalina in combination with sys-def MacPro 7,1 might make the magic happen for us???

I am perfectly willing to post the CLOVER folder from both X99 Asus Deluxe II USB install disk and final post-installation disk. This is because the motherboard and CPU are both discontinued so enthusiasts will most likely be treating this as a secondary system. The only issue on this system is wake-from-sleep:
  • I am not able to unlock MSR 0xE2 register and insert additional microcode into the Asus firmware as per initial steps in the KGP Build Guide.
  • It's possible that as a result of this, the system does not wake from sleep. The motherboard displays the 2-digit error code or Q-Code 30 which is Reserved for ASL. Yup, makes no sense.
  • A normal startup gives us Q-Code A0 (if I recall correctly), which is IDE initialization is started.
Impressions of the X99 Asus Deluxe II build: I don't know why, but I love it. :)

It's not the fastest. It doesn't have the most cores. My particular CPU is not even hyper-threaded. And does not contain an IGPU. But on the other hand:
  • It comes jam packed with extras that include:
    • Broadcom WiFi and BT module on the motherboard that works with AirportBrcmFixup and BrcmPatchRAM2. No extra card needed. It also includes a relocatable WiFi/BT antenna.
    • The Asus ThunderboltEX 3 card is included (Alpine Ridge).
    • It comes with a PCIe card for attaching an NVMe SSD. But there's also a perpendicular-mount NVMe slot (yes, perpendicular to the plane of the motherboard, which means the NVMe drive is vertical).
    • It has two USB 2 headers and two USB 3 headers.
    • It has 2 on-board SATA controllers with a ton of internal SATA ports.
    • It has 2 on-board XHC (USB) controllers with a ton of USB ports.
    • It has 2 Ethernet (Gigabit) ports.
  • KGP was able to get macOS running on this system very well.
    • iStat Menus monitors temperatures, voltages, and fans.
    • Boot up time is even faster than Gigabyte Designare.
    • It's less powerful, but it's a really wonderful second system.
    • The RGB goodness might be affecting my judgment as well... :)
Hi CaseySJ, thank you very much for your help. Now that my Gigabyte Designare Z390 is running smoothly, I'm planning to resurrect my X99 Asus Deluxe II with the i7 6900K. My current system is based on KGP Build Guide, and I'm still stuck on OS 10.2 Sierra due to my Nvidia Graphics card. Currently I'm facing random shutdown and USB problem. I have a spare AMD RX580 so I would to like to install Mojave and rebuild the whole system from scratch. Much appreciated if you can assist me with the mentioned CLOVER folder from both X99 Asus Deluxe II USB install disk and final post-installation disk.

It does seem somewhat arbitrary, but more than that, it seems like a bemusing non sequitur. The new Mac Pro maxes out at 2933 MHz memory, but also accommodates 128GB DIMMs. So perhaps Catalina in combination with sys-def MacPro 7,1 might make the magic happen for us???

I don't know if that sysdef is available given that it isn't even released yet, but I could try booting the latest Catalina installer. I have until October 3rd to send the RAM back but the sooner the better.

Given that it will fail just booting into recovery, I shouldn't have to actually install anything to test.

EDIT: Apparently Clover Configurator has it.

I have a Lacie d2 Thunderbolt 2 4TB external drive, and it's causing my hack to freeze when attempting to read any files from it. Is there a proper way to diagnose what's going on? It scares me when everything freezes and I have to restart.

Tried hooking up the same drive through its USB 3.0 port into the hack and it's working great without any freezes. Could it be because the Designare's TB ports show up as internal? When using the d2 through USB 3.0, the drive shows up as external.

Hey! Here is how my TB ports show's up. Everything works fine... Right now I'm connecting the 2big through TB2 to tb3 adapter and the LaCie Rugged Thunderbolt USB-C 4TB directly to the other TB port through USB 3.1 cable.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-09-04 at 08.31.44.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-04 at 08.31.44.png
    133.6 KB · Views: 90
Back