Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hi! Is there an easy way to get the other sound options to show up? All I have is sound via HDMI .. Thanks
The only thing we need is to install Lilu and AppleALC, and choose layout ID 16 or 7. If this has already been done, it is possible that the on-board sound controller has been disabled in BIOS or that these kexts are not loading properly.

I would first check BIOS. The name of the parameter (if I recall correctly) is “Chipset Audio Controller” or something similar to that.

This is already covered in the sys-def diagram. Please see the blue box:
View attachment 424366
Hi Casey,
Yes, I saw that as well. What I am trying to understand is why the "Strongly Recommended" suggestion for iMac19,1 and Headless mode? My observation is that Safari DRM for Netflix is more finicky, iTunes DRM is hit or miss (although more hit as of late), and the rendering is indeed slower. With that said, what is the upside to doing iMac19,1 in headless? Im sure I am missing something!

Candidly, I was planning on iMac19,1 in headless the entire time simply because it more resembles my real build, and if Apple were to mess with things in the future, like look for a T2, I'd already be more in-line with my real HW. Thats the only upside I see at present.

The only thing we need is to install Lilu and AppleALC, and choose layout ID 16 or 7. If this has already been done, it is possible that the on-board sound controller has been disabled in BIOS or that these kexts are not loading properly.

I would first check BIOS. The name of the parameter (if I recall correctly) is “Chipset Audio Controller” or something similar to that.
THANKS I changed this to 16 and it worked perfectly. Thanks again!

Last edited:
Hi Casey,
Yes, I saw that as well. What I am trying to understand is why the "Strongly Recommended" suggestion for iMac19,1 and Headless mode? My observation is that Safari DRM for Netflix is more finicky, iTunes DRM is hit or miss (although more hit as of late), and the rendering is indeed slower. With that said, what is the upside to doing iMac19,1 in headless? Im sure I am missing something!

Candidly, I was planning on iMac19,1 in headless the entire time simply because it more resembles my real build, and if Apple were to mess with things in the future, like look for a T2, I'd already be more in-line with my real HW. Thats the only upside I see at present.
Actually the reasons you mentioned are the reasons for recommending iMac19,1 — namely, the similarity in hardware specs to the iMac19,1.

Hi Casey,

After reading this, I just tried Netflix. It didn't work on Safari but it did work with Chrome (with iMac 19,1)

Yes, it
After reading this I just tried Netflix and it didn't work on Safari but it did work with Chrome (with imac 19,1)
Yup! Its' a well known issue. Even in headless it doesn't work. However, iMacPro1,1 works no issue.

Actually the reasons you mentioned are the reasons for recommending iMac19,1 — namely, the similarity in hardware specs to the iMac19,1.

Got it, understood, thank you. I wonder if there is more tweaking to be done. It would be great to be close to the HW profile, no doubt. I might go sniff out benchmarks of a real i9 iMac compared to our setup for rendering.

Follow-up to post #7,492 by @CN7

Mojave will not eject external disks during sleep when you enter these settings manually:

-> Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.) -> Profile1
-> System Memory Multiplier -> 2666

This way you get 2666 MHz set.

Downside: If you use faster RAM, your Hackintosh will be a bit slower with this adjustment. You can probably tighten timings to compensate at least something.
Cool. I changed the multiplier.
I missed the memo that you have to use page up / page down on the keyboard to change it!:lolno:

Impact of slower RAM timing (3200 -> 2666 MHz) on Geekbench score is minimal, less than 2% on my rig.

Mine is more like 8% since my memory is 3600 MHz. :(

This is very helpful. The section External Disks Not Ejected During Sleep has been amended as follows:

View attachment 424361

Now.. To figure out if there is a fix...

It "works" now, but I have 3600 MHz Memory and 934 MHz of that is feeling left out! My Geekbench scores prior to the 2666 MHz setting were over 40k and now they're 37k.

Seems like there is an artificial limit somewhere in the system that causes sleep/eject issues. Memory past 2666 MHz? = Darn.. Mess with sleep and eject stuff!

Could it be a power issue?

I'm a macOS n00b so I have no idea where to start investigating. I barely understand SSDT's and kext's as it is haha. :crazy:

Back