Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

This guide is one of the most thorough I've used, thank you so much for all your hard work.

After reaching the limit with my last High Sierra build (6K/8K video is a nightmare), I decided that the z390 was the way to go for my next build.

I'm carrying over my MSI GTX 1080 TI, Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition case, Corsair CX850M PSU, and my data HDDs.

I opted for the i9 9900k for my processor, 64GB of Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro RAM, Samsung EVO 970 Pro 512GB SSD, Corsair H115i Pro AIO Cooler. Got the BT/WiFi jumper card from you guide.

Because I'm using Nvidia, I decided to stay in High Sierra. Knew I'd have a few different variables, but figured shouldn't be too tough.

So, after the initial build, reading and re-reading your guide, I dove in to install OS X. Everything seemed to be going fine until it came time to download the Nvidia drivers. I kept getting the dreaded "black screen", reboot, added the nv_disable=1 boot arg, uninstall, rinse, repeat. Still nothing.

At about 1AM last night, I did finally get the drivers to stick, migrated all my apps, even did a little stress test in Adobe Premiere. Went to bed feeling accomplished. Woke up this morning to start my editing session only to find the "black screen" had returned.

Then I took a dive into the the many (474 of this writing) pages of replies hoping someone else was having similar issues, searched other posts on here and on other forums, but none of the fixes seem to work.

Casey, would love if you could give me any insight!

Attaching my EFI below (haven't logged into iCloud, etc. yet, so SN are still present).

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    21.5 MB · Views: 84
I encountered the same issue with my iPad mini -- namely, when connecting to the front panel USB 3.0 port it receives only the base 500mA of current, but does not receive the additional 1000mA of "Extra Operating Current" that is necessary for charging.

After a little bit of searching I found a solution by RehabMan described here. As a result, I've modified the USB SSDT with custom Power Properties taken from an iMac17,1 (because those values were readily available).

My iPad mini now charges properly from the front panel, but it receives 1600mA of Extra Operating Current.

Not sure if this is too high so I would certainly like to update the SSDT with USB Power Properties from Mac mini 8,1 and iMac19,1 if someone can provide their DSDT.aml file.

Meanwhile, please test the new SSDT as follows:
  • Mount EFI partition of your Mojave SSD
  • Move out or delete the current SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V6.aml from CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder
  • Copy the new SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V7.aml in its place
  • Copy SSDT-EC.aml to the same folder
  • Reboot
  • Login and attach your iPad directly to a front panel USB port (no hub)
  • Does it charge?
@CaseySJ : thank you for this updated SSDT. I confirm that I can now fast charge my iPhone from the USB 3.1 ports.

That is really cool :)

Hello @CaseySJ

Just to follow up. I have the latest registered version of CCC, 5.1.9. I downloaded it directly from Bombich. Your Update was the answer for my issue.

View attachment 410451

I had to go through a quick process to Grant Full Disk Access to CCC that was easy to follow. Once I completed that, your guide was fast and easy and worked perfectly with a bootable copy of my system. Thanks for providing the answer. I never found that during my search on the internet. Thanks so much for your time and your help.

Thaigyver
I’ll update the ‘Easy Bootable Backup’ section accordingly. Glad we discovered this tiny little detail!

This guide is one of the most thorough I've used, thank you so much for all your hard work.

After reaching the limit with my last High Sierra build (6K/8K video is a nightmare), I decided that the z390 was the way to go for my next build.

I'm carrying over my MSI GTX 1080 TI, Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition case, Corsair CX850M PSU, and my data HDDs.

I opted for the i9 9900k for my processor, 64GB of Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro RAM, Samsung EVO 970 Pro 512GB SSD, Corsair H115i Pro AIO Cooler. Got the BT/WiFi jumper card from you guide.

Because I'm using Nvidia, I decided to stay in High Sierra. Knew I'd have a few different variables, but figured shouldn't be too tough.

So, after the initial build, reading and re-reading your guide, I dove in to install OS X. Everything seemed to be going fine until it came time to download the Nvidia drivers. I kept getting the dreaded "black screen", reboot, added the nv_disable=1 boot arg, uninstall, rinse, repeat. Still nothing.

At about 1AM last night, I did finally get the drivers to stick, migrated all my apps, even did a little stress test in Adobe Premiere. Went to bed feeling accomplished. Woke up this morning to start my editing session only to find the "black screen" had returned.

Then I took a dive into the the many (474 of this writing) pages of replies hoping someone else was having similar issues, searched other posts on here and on other forums, but none of the fixes seem to work.

Casey, would love if you could give me any insight!

Attaching my EFI below (haven't logged into iCloud, etc. yet, so SN are still present).
You know, of course, that there’s a healthy market for used Nvidia GTX 1080s, especially the Ti models! And you know that not only are you missing out on Mojave, but soon you’ll be missing out on Catalina as well. And all for what? A little GPU that can not only be sold, but repurposed for a wonderfully powerful gaming PC.

This will sound harsh, but it’s not directed at you. It’s directed at everyone who’s spending hundreds or thousands on new 9th-Gen CPUs, motherboards, memory sticks, coolers, etc., but choosing to keep their system anchored in the ever distant past of High Sierra. What’s the point if your hardware makes your overall system obsolete from an operating system point of view?

AMD GPUs including the Vegas are so inexpensive now and so well supported in 10.14.5 that it’s just pure sadism to toil night and day over such an avoidable problem!

Deep breath taken. Feel much better now.

Regarding the black screen problem:
  • Try disabling the Nvidia Web Driver (nv_disable=1 in Boot Arguments) to see if the default VESA driver initializes the 1080Ti (without acceleration, but without black screen either).
  • Attempt a hot connect. When the screen goes black, unplug the video cable and re-plug. Does the monitor light up?
  • Try using a different connector type. For example, if you’re using DP, switch to HDMI, and vice-versa.

Edit:So, just tried the tonymacx86 Bruce X zip/topic (1st hit on google) using fxp 10.4.2 (10.4.4 kept crashing, not yet sure why). Score was pretty abysmal, ~60 seconds or so. Wondering if the recent posts about RX 580 vs "A"md RX 580 would make a significant difference..

Edit2:Dear CaseyMJ,
Even though video is only of secondary importance to me, this brief test made me wonder about this build's compatibility with FCPX. Fwiw, I'm on SMBIOS iMac19,1, i7-9700K and RX 580 8GB. All working as per your guide, videoproc showing HVEC and H264 check signs, etc. Could my slow Bruce X results be due to the iMac19,1 definition? And if so, would you have any suggestions as to how to get things sorted out properly? Thanks!
For video editors, the Bruce X benchmark is rather important, so let’s see if we can figure this out. Because I do not have Final Cut Pro I will need to rely on others to run some tests.

Test 1:
  • 10.14.5 with sysdef iMac19,1 and platform ID 0x3E980003
  • BIOS —> IGFX —> Enabled
  • Rename “RX 580” or “RX Vega” to AMD RX 580 or AMD RX Vega.
Test 2:
  • 10.14.5 with sysdef iMacPro1,1 and platform ID 0x3E920003 or 0x3E980003
  • BIOS —> IGFX —> Disabled
  • No need to rename dGPU because iGPU is disabled, hence only 1 GPU in the system

@CaseySJ

I installed my system on the same ADATA NVMe M.2 you have in your guide and am very happy with it. I have spent some time setting up my system with the personal preferences I like. I then installed an SSD and formatted that, still all is well. I then went back to your guide as I have been giving thought to your advice about putting the Home and OS Folders on separate drives.

I can see the logic in this as the CCC of the OS drive will be smaller and back-ups will be faster, and then you really only need a Time Machine back-up of the home folder.

So, I followed your guide and then restarted the computer as it advised and then realized, oh no, I lost all my personal preferences on my setup. In fact, when my computer restarted, it took me through the process again of asking to sign into iCloud and set up Siri and such just as if it was a fresh install.

Is this normal? If so, is there a way to get all those setting back to the correct location or do I need to make them all again?

@CaseySJ

I installed my system on the same ADATA NVMe M.2 you have in your guide and am very happy with it. I have spent some time setting up my system with the personal preferences I like. I then installed an SSD and formatted that, still all is well. I then went back to your guide as I have been giving thought to your advice about putting the Home and OS Folders on separate drives.

I can see the logic in this as the CCC of the OS drive will be smaller and back-ups will be faster, and then you really only need a Time Machine back-up of the home folder.

So, I followed your guide and then restarted the computer as it advised and then realized, oh no, I lost all my personal preferences on my setup. In fact, when my computer restarted, it took me through the process again of asking to sign into iCloud and set up Siri and such just as if it was a fresh install.

Is this normal? If so, is there a way to get all those setting back to the correct location or do I need to make them all again?
If you change the Home folder after Mojave has already been fully installed then it may be necessary to manually copy all files from the old home folder to the new home folder.

In my case, a 1TB SSD is dedicated as the home folder (or home disk). There's no "Users\<username>" folder here. Instead, at the root level of this disk are the following folders:
  • Desktop
  • Documents
  • Downloads
  • Google Drive
  • Movies
  • Music
  • Pictures
  • Public
In other words, the new home folder should contain everything that was inside the old home folder.

Have you already tried this?

If you change the Home folder after Mojave has already been fully installed then it may be necessary to manually copy all files from the old home folder to the new home folder.

In my case, a 1TB SSD is dedicated as the home folder (or home disk). There's no "Users\<username>" folder here. Instead, at the root level of this disk are the following folders:
In other words, the new home folder should contain everything that was inside the old home folder.

Have you already tried this?
No, I have not yet, but I am on it now. Thanks for your quick reply.

No, I have not yet, but I am on it now. Thanks for your quick reply.
Because of hidden files and folders, try pressing CMD-Shift-. (Command-Shift-dot) to reveal hidden files and folders. Those have to be copied as well!

Perhaps an easier way to do this is from Terminal:

Code:
rsync -av [SRC] [DEST]

If SRC is /Volumes/Mojave/Users/username (let's say your user name is 'Thaigyver')
If DEST is /Data

Then the command would be:
Code:
rsync -av /Volumes/Mojave/Users/Thaigyver/* /Data

Last edited:
Because of hidden files and folders, try pressing CMD-Shift-. (Command-Shift-dot) to reveal hidden files and folders. Those have to be copied as well!

Perhaps an easier way to do this is from Terminal:

Code:
rsync -av [SRC] [DEST]

If SRC is /Volumes/Mojave/Users/username (let's say your user name is 'Thaigyver')
If DEST is /Data

Then the command would be:
Code:
rsync -av /Volumes/Mojave/Users/Thaigyver/* /Data
Hello @CaseySJ

I used the CMD-Shift-. and it revealed many folders that were faded, not as bright as the others. Also I had some of those faded folders with the red minus sign attached. I do not know why. Anyways, I decided to go with the terminal command you suggested. It added the needed folders to the Home Volume, but when comparing those folders to those in Volumes/Mojave/Users/username(me), they did not contain everything the same. Just an FYI, Volumes/Mojave/Users/username/Library contains 55 items, Volumes/Home/Library contains 36 items. When I tried to copy over the Library folder so they would be the same I just got a pop window saying "Library" can't be modified or deleted because it's required by mac OS.

I thank you for your help, but I will probably start again tomorrow with a CCC restore and try it again. Kinda makes me sad, I had a sweet system going. Oh well, that is all part of the fun of hacking.

Back