Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Struggling to get past Step 5 on the github page. I don't see anything resembling CFG Lock, VarStoreInfo (VarOffset/VarName) I do however see CFG Lock, Variable: 0x5C1 Is it supposed to be a perfect match to what's in the github instruction set?
I don’t think it needs to be a perfect match. But I wonder what the consequences would be of making a mistake, and how to undo the mistake. Might be wise to have a pristine copy of Firmware F6 ready on a USB disk in case this goes way south to Kings Landing.

Hello Again, I hate to be asking another question so early in the build, but since I have been stumped for a few days, here it goes.
1.) I Followed instructions on page 1 to try install Mojave. I removed the .aml files that are specific to the Z390 Designaire MB from the Post-Install Files.zip as recommended by CaseySJ in my earlier question.
2.) If it makes a difference, I noticed 2 things different when I used the "Spoiler: Guide to modifying config.plist for USB install disk". (See 2 pictures below)
A.) In Clover Configurator under the Kernel and Kext Patches heading, I have 2 additional entries in the table.
B.) When in the EFI folder to change the .....memoryfix.efi, I notice I do not have all the same folders under the Clover Folder
3.) I flashed the BIOS from F2 to F10
4.) I followed the guide very carefully (At least I think I did)

My problem is that during Phase 1, the progression bar will stop with 2 minutes remaining, pause for a few minutes, then gives me this error message. (See below picture)

Things I have tried.
a. In Clover Configurator, under the heading ACPI, I have tried with PluginType both checked and unchecked.
b. I have made 2 different thumb drives for this following the guide. Each was a fresh download of Mojave with a fresh download of Unibeast and all related files. One is a USB 2.0 and one is a USB 3.0. Both brand new and brandname
c. I have applied a. (from above) on both thumb drives.
d. Each attempt was started from scratch, meaning I Load Optimized Defaults and reformat the SSD.

If you need any further information, please let me know as I will be happy to provide it.

PS. I also removed the RealtekRTL8111 kext as this does not apply to my mainboard.
The error message seems to suggest a bad download of the Mojave installer. Some suggestions:
  • During Phase 1 installation, you may press Command-L to open the Log Viewer. It can also be opened from an option in the Menu Bar. The Log Viewer should provide more detailed information about the error.
  • Back on your Mac, insert the USB install disk and ensure that the “Install MacOS Mojave” package is a little over 6GB (in Finder, right-click and select Get Info).
  • If you need to re-download the installer from the Mac App Store, first delete the existing file in your Applications Folder.

Sorry if I reply this late, had a couple of busy days. Here's the device tree.
Thanks again.
  • Your iGPU is configured with Platform ID 0x3E910003. It would be better to change that to 0x3E980003 (or just remove it entirely) if you're running 10.14.4 or newer.
  • Can you run VideoProc and choose:
    • Setting --> Options
    • This will tell you the screen in Post #4157 above. If either H.264 or HEVC is red, please follow the suggestion in Post #4155 above.
  • You're running Lilu 1.2.8, but latest version is 1.3.5
  • You're running WhateverGreen 1.2.4, but latest version is 1.2.8

Struggling to get past Step 5 on the github page. I don't see anything resembling CFG Lock, VarStoreInfo (VarOffset/VarName) I do however see CFG Lock, Variable: 0x5C1 Is it supposed to be a perfect match to what's in the github instruction set?
I have found this line:
CFG Lock, VarStoreInfo (VarOffset/VarName): 0x5C1
booted grub from http://brains.by/posts/bootx64.7z and did setup_var 0x5C1 and it showed 0x01 which means it is locked, so I did setup_var 0x5C1 0x00 and rebooted. Now MSR is unlocked and I can boot without KernelPM.

Now this board needs native nvram with proper aptio driver and all would be good.

Last edited:
I am unable to boot unless I have (a) VT-d disabled in BIOS or (b) dart=0 checked in Clover or (c) DMAR table not dropped. I'll try and attach a slow-motion video to this post shortly. I can easily boot if any of the previously mentioned are reversed, but then I won't be able to install a device driver that NEED to have installed and have had installed and running with my Z270 Asus Hero 9 board (with VT-d enabled). Some devices need this feature to be able to access memory space within first 256MB of contiguous memory.

I have replaced FakeSMC with VirtualSMC and I don't get this panic anymore with VT-d on.

I have found this line:
CFG Lock, VarStoreInfo (VarOffset/VarName): 0x5C1
booted grub from http://brains.by/posts/bootx64.7z and did setup_var 0x5C1 and it showed 0x01 which means it is locked, so I did setup_var 0x5C1 0x00 and rebooted. Now MSR is unlocked and I can boot without KernelPM.

Now this board needs native nvram with proper aptio driver and all would be good.
No "CFG Lock, VarStoreInfo" string here. Not sure what that means.

The error message seems to suggest a bad download of the Mojave installer. Some suggestions:
  • During Phase 1 installation, you may press Command-L to open the Log Viewer. It can also be opened from an option in the Menu Bar. The Log Viewer should provide more detailed information about the error.
  • Back on your Mac, insert the USB install disk and ensure that the “Install MacOS Mojave” package is a little over 6GB (in Finder, right-click and select Get Info).
  • If you need to re-download the installer from the Mac App Store, first delete the existing file in your Applications Folder.
Thank you, @CaseySJ. Suggestions two and three already done. I should have mentioned in my last question that the Mojave file size was 6.08GB on both thumb drives. I will try Log Viewer and continue. Thanks for your time as I continue to learn.

No "CFG Lock, VarStoreInfo" string here. Not sure what that means.
What tool did you use to extract? also I got the same address 0x5C1 as yours, and I got MSR unlocked using this address.

Thunderbolt USB Support → Enabled (May eliminate clicking noises with TB3/USB Audio Interfaces)
You can delete the note about the clicking noises here. This has been coincidentally. The clicking noises appear when I open the mixer GUI of my Thunderbolt audio interface (MOTU 8A) in Google Chrome. In Safari they are nearly inaudible. I thought it had to with the Thunderbolt USB Support Setting, because this was the only thing I thought I had changed, before they disappeared. Of course I didn’t think that the use of Google Chrome could have anything to do with it :think: And I still don’t have any clue why this happens on the browser GUI page of my MOTU.

I followed the guide here: https://github.com/acidanthera/AptioFixPkg/blob/master/README.md#verifymsre2

I prefer not to have patches if I can “simply” enable a hidden BIOS option.

@zoomlenz @CaseySJ @luckyal

Just catching up on a couple days worth of posts/following along. If we're successfully able to unlock MSR 0xE2 on the Gigabyte Z390 Designare, what would be the immediate benefit?

If I understand correctly, we could then enable VT-d and remove dart=0? Which kexts could we remove as well after the unlock? I'd like to possibly try it, but my system is running great right now and I don't want to mess with it. :lol:

Back