Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hey @CaseySJ. Just thought I'd share that the new 27-inch 5K iMacs do use i9-9900K processors that do have an iGPU.

Out of curiosity, where did you get your info that they were using the locked i9-9900F CPUs that don't have an iGPU?
I saw this in a video from a reputable YouTube channel, but you may well be right. The video might have been from AppleInsider or Max Tech or something similar because they pay attention to thermal throttling. In the video they noted the good thermal performance of the iMac’s i9-9900 and attributed that to the low TDP of the non-iGPU version, which is the i9-9900F. If I can find the video I’ll post a link.

Last edited:
Hey @CaseySJ, I've just spotted one possible problem on my config: h264 does not benefit from HW acceleration:

I've followed the Final Cut Pro X (FCPX) and iMovie Users (solution 2) of your tutorial.
Some screenshots of my config.plist:

I can't remember why I added this second device though:

Boot:

Model name: iMacPro1,1

any idea ? or is it normal ?

thank you
Matt

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-05-09 at 19.32.00.png
    Screenshot 2019-05-09 at 19.32.00.png
    816.7 KB · Views: 85
  • Screenshot 2019-05-09 at 19.45.47.png
    Screenshot 2019-05-09 at 19.45.47.png
    777.4 KB · Views: 99
Hey @CaseySJ, I've just spotted one possible problem on my config: h264 does not benefit from HW acceleration:

View attachment 404590

I've followed the Final Cut Pro X (FCPX) and iMovie Users (solution 2) of your tutorial.
Some screenshots of my config.plist:

View attachment 404596
View attachment 404593

I can't remember why I added this second device though:
View attachment 404592

Boot:
View attachment 404589

Model name: iMacPro1,1

any idea ? or is it normal ?

thank you
Matt
That is certainly not normal and may be due to the firmware on your GPU. In any case, please try the first suggestion here:
Namely:
  1. Download and copy dummy141.kext to the /Library/Extensions folder and rebuild kernel cache by running Kext Utility. Ignore the second suggestion for now (AppleGVA.framework).
  2. Remove the "Orinoco" framebuffer setting from config.plist.
  3. If you have installed SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-RX580-V2.aml in CLOVER/ACPI/patched, try item #1 with and without this SSDT.
  4. Reboot.
  5. Rerun VideoProc.

Hey @CaseySJ. Just thought I'd share that the new 27-inch 5K iMacs do use i9-9900K processors that do have an iGPU.

Out of curiosity, where did you get your info that they were using the locked i9-9900F CPUs that don't have an iGPU?
I saw this in a video from a reputable YouTube channel, but you may well be right. The video might have been from AppleInsider or Max Tech or something similar because they pay attention to thermal throttling. In the video they noted the good thermal performance of the iMac’s i9-9900 and attributed that to the low TDP of the non-iGPU version, which is the i9-9900F. If I can find the video I’ll post a link.
Found the video. It's by Linus Tech Tips and you can watch it here. At the 4:17 mark you can see the screenshot below: Core i9-9900KF.
Screen Shot 2019-05-09 at 2.07.42 PM.png

EDIT: After looking at an IOReg dump from a 2019 27-inch 5K iMac, I see that it does in fact have an iGPU. There is an IGPU@2 device with 1536MB VRAM, and AppleIntelFramebuffer is attached. So the processor must be an i9-9900 (non-F).

Last edited:
That is certainly not normal and may be due to the firmware on your GPU. In any case, please try the first suggestion here:
Namely:
  1. Download and copy dummy141.kext to the /Library/Extensions folder and rebuild kernel cache by running Kext Utility. Ignore the second suggestion for now (AppleGVA.framework).
  2. Remove the "Orinoco" framebuffer setting from config.plist.
  3. If you have installed SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-RX580-V2.aml in CLOVER/ACPI/patched, try item #1 with and without this SSDT.
  4. Reboot.
  5. Rerun VideoProc.

So amazed by your knowledge and so grateful for your help @CaseySJ !
Doing 1 + 2 and keeping the SSDT did the trick!

FYI and for those it may help: my GPU is the Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 580 8GD5.

thanks again @CaseySJ !!
Matt

@CaseySJ - I could have sworn when you first posted you mentioned something about getting target disk mode boot to work. Now I can’t find it, and must assume I made it up in my head.

Did you get it working?

I’ve got to give you a big thanks. When you first posted this, I had been gone from custoMAC’s for a bit, never thinking I was coming back, because of stability issues. This guide, along with your EFi, has been the most stable install I’ve ever had. So, thanks again!

On a side note, have you run into the second m.2 slot running at x1? Both had always run at x4, and I just noticed one is registering x1. All I have installed in the pcie slots are Chelsio NIC in slot 3, GPU in slot 1, and WiFi in an x1 slot. GPU running x8, NIC x4, WiFi x1, thunderbolt disconnected, no SATA Drives, definitely available lanes. Can’t fogure it out

Can you download and run IORegistryExplorer and then export the device tree by selecting File —> Save As... This will give us an inside look into your GPU settings.

Sorry if I reply this late, had a couple of busy days. Here's the device tree.
Thanks again.

Attachments

• Michele’s iMac device tree.ioreg
    15.3 MB · Views: 87
Hello Again, I hate to be asking another question so early in the build, but since I have been stumped for a few days, here it goes.
1.) I Followed instructions on page 1 to try install Mojave. I removed the .aml files that are specific to the Z390 Designaire MB from the Post-Install Files.zip as recommended by CaseySJ in my earlier question.
2.) If it makes a difference, I noticed 2 things different when I used the "Spoiler: Guide to modifying config.plist for USB install disk". (See 2 pictures below)
A.) In Clover Configurator under the Kernel and Kext Patches heading, I have 2 additional entries in the table.
B.) When in the EFI folder to change the .....memoryfix.efi, I notice I do not have all the same folders under the Clover Folder
3.) I flashed the BIOS from F2 to F10
4.) I followed the guide very carefully (At least I think I did)

My problem is that during Phase 1, the progression bar will stop with 2 minutes remaining, pause for a few minutes, then gives me this error message. (See below picture)

Things I have tried.
a. In Clover Configurator, under the heading ACPI, I have tried with PluginType both checked and unchecked.
b. I have made 2 different thumb drives for this following the guide. Each was a fresh download of Mojave with a fresh download of Unibeast and all related files. One is a USB 2.0 and one is a USB 3.0. Both brand new and brandname
c. I have applied a. (from above) on both thumb drives.
d. Each attempt was started from scratch, meaning I Load Optimized Defaults and reformat the SSD.

If you need any further information, please let me know as I will be happy to provide it.

PS. I also removed the RealtekRTL8111 kext as this does not apply to my mainboard.

Attachments

• Kernel and Kext Patches.png
    Kernel and Kext Patches.png
    311.1 KB · Views: 102
  • EFI Folder.JPG
    EFI Folder.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 104
  • Error Message.JPG
    Error Message.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 105
@CaseySJ - I could have sworn when you first posted you mentioned something about getting target disk mode boot to work. Now I can’t find it, and must assume I made it up in my head.

Did you get it working?

I’ve got to give you a big thanks. When you first posted this, I had been gone from custoMAC’s for a bit, never thinking I was coming back, because of stability issues. This guide, along with your EFi, has been the most stable install I’ve ever had. So, thanks again!

On a side note, have you run into the second m.2 slot running at x1? Both had always run at x4, and I just noticed one is registering x1. All I have installed in the pcie slots are Chelsio NIC in slot 3, GPU in slot 1, and WiFi in an x1 slot. GPU running x8, NIC x4, WiFi x1, thunderbolt disconnected, no SATA Drives, definitely available lanes. Can’t fogure it out
One of the many nice things about Thunderbolt is the ability of two Macs to share devices over a local Thunderbolt connection. This is achieved through a Thunderbolt Local Node which enables Target Disk Mode and Target Display Mode. In both cases, one Mac acts as a donor and the other acts as a host. The donor Mac donates its boot drive or its LCD display to the host.

Unfortunately, we have not been able to make this work on a Hackintosh. So for the time being Target Disk Mode and Target Display Mode do not work. Target Disk Mode also works over FireWire, so as long as two machines have FireWire either with a PCIe FireWire card or Thunderbolt-to-FireWire adapter, it might be worth trying...

Regarding the M.2 device in the second slot (M2P), what is the make and model of the drive? Are you certain it’s a PCIe x4 NVMe SSD? The two M.2 slots share bandwidth with SATA, but because you have no SATA devices attached, you certainly should get full x4 bandwidth out of each slot. I would also suggest going into the BIOS peripherals page and checking the NVMe information. Feel free to post any relevant screenshots if you’d like to follow-up.

Edit: I just came across your thread here. Have you fixed the issue that prevented your from booting Mojave after updating the driver on the Chelsio NIC?

Last edited:
Back