Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Thank you! I upgraded my BIOS to F9g and updated the EFI with your provided folder but when I go to boot after installing Monterey on my new drive, I’m getting stuck at pretty much the same spot. I’m still seeing it trying to access a “Locked Files” folder in a line with CFG in it even though it is definitely disabled in my BIOS. Any ideas?

I used numbers generated from GENSMBIOS for an iMac19,1, do I need to be using the numbers from my original clover install?

Thank you so much!
Some questions/comments:
  • Are you using the new EFI folder to boot Monterey, but Monterey was installed using the previous (Dortania-based) EFI folder?
  • Alternatively, was Monterey actually installed using the new EFI folder?
Next:
  • Are you using OpenCore Configurator (OCC) to modify config.plist? This is recommended, but we should use:
  • Each version of OCC supports 2 versions of OpenCore only.
    • Always check that the title bar of OCC shows the right version of OpenCore.
  • OCC can also generate serial numbers:
Screenshot 2022-09-25 at 10.05.56 AM.png

Finally, please open your config.plist in OCC and post these screenshots:
  • ACPI
  • Booter
  • Kernel
  • NVRAM section as shown:
Screenshot 2022-09-25 at 10.09.52 AM.png

I've been crashing once a day for a few weeks, requiring a hard reset. Since it seems to happen while I'm playing Hearthstone or using photoshop while watching youtube, I'm guessing I need more ram or a new GPU?

I'm on OC 0.8.3 (using Hackindrom) and just upgraded to 12.6 (Hoping it would solve the problem - it didn't)

I get the following error at the boot screen:

"OCS: No schema for LegacyEnable at 2 index, context <NVRAM>!"

Please lend me your insight!

I've been crashing once a day for a few weeks, requiring a hard reset. Since it seems to happen while I'm playing Hearthstone or using photoshop while watching youtube, I'm guessing I need more ram or a new GPU?

I'm on OC 0.8.3 (using Hackindrom) and just upgraded to 12.6 (Hoping it would solve the problem - it didn't)

post 1 should have information on how to update your opencore

The OCS schema warning can be ignored. But it can be fixed by downloading and running OpenCore Configurator 2.62.0.0 (not the latest 2.62.1.0) because that version supports OpenCore 0.8.3. Opening your config.plist in that app, then clicking each pane on the left side one-by-one without making any changes, and saving the file should resolve the warning.

Regarding the crash, I wonder if one of the memory modules is misbehaving. Do you have Windows or Linux on this system? If so, do they crash regularly?

Some questions/comments:
  • Are you using the new EFI folder to boot Monterey, but Monterey was installed using the previous (Dortania-based) EFI folder?
  • Alternatively, was Monterey actually installed using the new EFI folder?
Next:
  • Are you using OpenCore Configurator (OCC) to modify config.plist? This is recommended, but we should use:
  • Each version of OCC supports 2 versions of OpenCore only.
    • Always check that the title bar of OCC shows the right version of OpenCore.
  • OCC can also generate serial numbers:
View attachment 555263
Finally, please open your config.plist in OCC and post these screenshots:
  • ACPI
  • Booter
  • Kernel
  • NVRAM section as shown:
View attachment 555264
I reformatted the OS M.2 drive (WD, not Samsung) and deleted the EFI folder on my USB installer, copied over the EFI from your 0.8.3 guide to my USB EFI, deleted the iGPU config.plist and edited the AMD one to config.plist, opened it with the 0.8.3 OCC, generated new numbers under PlatformInfo, saved it to my USB Installer, and reinstalled Monterey on my new drive. I was originally using the 0.8.4 OCC with my last post, so I just redid it all with 0.8.3 OCC but I'm still getting the same message immediately after the installer finishes, alas!

ACPI.jpg
Booter.jpg
Kernel.jpg
NVRAM.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to help me out with this!

I reformatted the OS M.2 drive (WD, not Samsung) and deleted the EFI folder on my USB installer, copied over the EFI from your 0.8.3 guide to my USB EFI, deleted the iGPU config.plist and edited the AMD one to config.plist, opened it with the 0.8.3 OCC, generated new numbers under PlatformInfo, saved it to my USB Installer, and reinstalled Monterey on my new drive. I was originally using the 0.8.4 OCC with my last post, so I just redid it all with 0.8.3 OCC but I'm still getting the same message immediately after the installer finishes, alas!

Thanks for taking the time to help me out with this!
Okay, seems you're doing everything correctly.
  • When you say Monterey was fully installed, approximately how many times did the installer reboot (during installation)?
  • Did you see the "Welcome to macOS" screen? If so, did you complete the welcome wizard? And the Monterey desktop appeared?
  • If so, then you used Monterey for some time and then clicked Reboot? And now macOS fails to start?
Let's also list all the components installed in the system:
  • Sapphire RX 580? Does this card have a small toggle switch that flips between Silent and Overclock (OC) mode? If so, set it to Silent mode.
  • Any Corsair components such as RGB controllers, smart power supplies, etc.?
  • Make/model of WiFi/BT card?
  • Any other PCIe cards?
  • Any Thunderbolt devices attached?
  • What is the model number of the WD NVMe SSD?
  • Any drives connected to SATA ports?
  • Any USB devices other than keyboard and mouse and USB install disk?
  • What is the size of the USB install disk? 32GB? 64GB? etc.
Finally, how was the Monterey install disk created? Was Monterey downloaded via GibMacOS? Was the flash disk created with createinstallmedia command in Terminal?

Last edited:
I'm seeing something strange after updating to OC 0.8.3. I had previously flashed my Thunderbolt bus and done the DROM, everything working fine in 0.8.2. I updated and experienced some crashing after I sign in to macOS. I figured OK, roll back to the previous version and things should be fine, and for most part they are. But now in system report under thunderbolt my system is saying "No Hardware was found". Any ideas?

EDIT: After looking at my system in IO Registry Explorer I am not seeing an RP05. Is the Thunderbolt chip gone?

Last edited:
I’m thinking that the Zoom installation may be corrupted, and that uninstalling it (from the menu, not by simply deleting the file) may not have helped.

Because the problem is not happening for most of us (i.e., so far you’re the first to report this), I have to suspect some sort of corruption.

By installing a fresh copy of macOS, we an isolate that variable. If Zoom still crashes during screenshare (on a fresh install) then we’ll have to suspect some hardware incompatibility.
So I went ahead and installed a fresh copy of macOS on another drive and installed Zoom and... I can't believe I'm saying this, but you were 100% right, it works flawlessly. Thanks for the suggestion!

So I started installing all sorts of drivers that I use on that fresh OS to see what may be the possible culprit, and so far haven't been able to find a single one that's the cause of this weird behavior. I also went back to my original complete OS and disabled all sorts of drivers and programs from running. So far, no luck in finding who's responsible for the crash. I even went as far as over-installing 10.5.7 and re-running all software and security updates... So to say it's perplexing would be an understatement. :beachball:

I'm seeing something strange after updating to OC 0.8.3. I had previously flashed my Thunderbolt bus and done the DROM, everything working fine in 0.8.2. I updated and experienced some crashing after I sign in to macOS. I figured OK, roll back to the previous version and things should be fine, and for most part they are. But now in system report under thunderbolt my system is saying "No Hardware was found". Any ideas?

EDIT: After looking at my system in IO Registry Explorer I am not seeing an RP05. Is the Thunderbolt chip gone?
If RP05 device tree is missing, it’s possible that “GPIO3 Force Pwr” is disabled in BIOS —> Thunderbolt. Let’s check that and enable it.

If RP05 device tree is missing, it’s possible that “GPIO3 Force Pwr” is disabled in BIOS —> Thunderbolt. Let’s check that and enable it.
Looking in my BIOS settings, I’m not seeing a Thunderbolt menu or that option anywhere? I’m on f9i.

Back