Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Greetings!

I have a Dell monitor connected on TB3, and it's been stable and dependable, until recently. It recently started very briefly losing signal, showing a black screen for 2 seconds then seemingly finding the signal again. Astonishing random and irritating.

Only appears to happen on TB.

--> I know it's frowned upon to ask for help (I read the first page, a few times)... but please?

There's a connection between the window server crashing, and this --
log show --last boot --predicate 'process == "kernel" and eventMessage contains "gIOScreenLockState"'
kernel: IOConsoleUsers: gIOScreenLockState 3, hs 0, bs 0, now 1663957107, sm 0x0

More messages from console during the event...

Library: QuartzCore : WindowServer
CoreAnimation: NULL color space set on context (1d34ec6a)

Other (unrelated) weird message -
error 17:34:25.380286-0600 SymptomEvaluator symptomsd 216: 0x3b6dd
Ignoring source 0x7fd7cfd21910, snapshot is from kernel kernel_task UDPSUBFLOW4 flow id 152271 (close) so pkts rx 4 tx 0, bytes 409 0 cell 0 0 wifi 0 0 wired 0 0 deltas 409 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

UDP subflow? I've searched google, didn't get a satisfying answer.

Any ideas? Anyone else solve a similar problem?

Be a Hero! Helps!

(edit -- added more messages)

Last edited:
Does Zoom have the necessary screen access permissions? These are specified in System Preferences—> Security & Privacy.

I can check screen sharing on my system later today.
It sure does. On Catalina 10.15.7 I have all the following granted: Camera, Microphone, Accessibility, and Screen Recording.
Would be curious to hear whether you're able to share your screen or if it crashes on your end as well. (It's enough to start a meeting without anybody in it and attempt to share the screen to see if it crashes on selection).
Let me know what you find.
Thanks!

Hello @CaseySJ .

I could not make any progress from then on .
Hotplug nerver work.
I am really need your help.
Thanks.

This will take some time to examine. In all our experience so far with a flashed Titan Ridge controller, there has been no issue with hot plug. We haven’t needed to trap or change any GPE event. I usually recommend attaching a simpler Thunderbolt device for testing purposes. EGPUs are among the most complicated Thunderbolt devices, as are Thunderbolt monitors. If you have a Thunderbolt dock or SSD, those would be good options.

Historically, hot plug either works or it doesn’t. The most we can do is configure device properties properly via SSDT. The SSDT you’re using is already doing this.
@Asrake,

Here's an experiment to try.

Background:
  • GPE method _L4E does seem to be the hot plug signal handler.
  • However, it notifies _SB.PCI0.RP09, but with Thunderbolt Bus enabled, we should notifiy \_SB.PCI0.RP09.UPSB.DSB0.NHI0 instead.
  • The attached SSDT SSDT-TB3-HackinDROM-HP-Tormund-L4E.aml implements this change.
  • Try SSDT-TB3-HackinDROM-HP-Tormund-L4E-V2.aml if first one fails.
To Use:
  • Copy the SSDT to EFI/OC/ACPI folder and add it to config.plist --> ACPI section
  • Uncheck the previous Thunderbolt SSDT
  • Add this ACPI patch:
    • Table Signature: DSDT
    • Find: 5F 4C 34 45
    • Replace: 58 4C 34 45
    • Comment: Change _L4E to XL4E
    • Count: 1
    • Enabled: Check On
  • Reboot and see if Thunderbolt hot plug works

NOTE: This experiment does not have a high chance of succeeding. So expectations should be kept low.

Attachments

• SSDT-TB3-HackinDROM-HP-Tormund-L4E.aml
    3.5 KB · Views: 19
  • SSDT-TB3-HackinDROM-HP-Tormund-L4E-V2.aml
    3.4 KB · Views: 19
Greetings!

I have a Dell monitor connected on TB3, and it's been stable and dependable, until recently. It recently started very briefly losing signal, showing a black screen for 2 seconds then seemingly finding the signal again. Astonishing random and irritating.

Only appears to happen on TB.
Some questions:
  • What is the model number of the Dell monitor?
  • Is the video signal perfectly stable when using HDMI or DisplayPort directly from the GPU?
  • When you say "connected on TB3", how is the monitor connected?
    • Via Thunderbolt3 cable from TB3 port on rear IO panel to a TB3 port on the monitor?
    • Via TB3 cable from TB3 port on rear IO panel to a USB-C port on the monitor (no "lightning" logo next to the port)?
    • Via USB-C to DisplayPort cable (USB-C connected to TB3 port on rear IO panel and DisplayPort connected to monitor)?
    • Via USB-C to HDMI cable (USB-C connected to TB3 port on rear IO panel and HDMI connected to monitor)?
    • Are you connecting one of the AMD GPU outputs to DisplayPort-IN on the rear IO panel?

It sure does. On Catalina 10.15.7 I have all the following granted: Camera, Microphone, Accessibility, and Screen Recording.
Would be curious to hear whether you're able to share your screen or if it crashes on your end as well. (It's enough to start a meeting without anybody in it and attempt to share the screen to see if it crashes on selection).
Let me know what you find.
Thanks!
Just tried this with 2 participants, both on a Hackintosh. I was able to share my screen without any problem.

Just tried this with 2 participants, both on a Hackintosh. I was able to share my screen without any problem.
Glad to hear it worked for you. In that case it sounds like it has to be something with my configuration. Would you be able to take a look and make any suggestions on where I may have gone wrong? I attached the config.plist and all configuration details to the original post: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...olt-3-i7-9700k-amd-rx-580.316533/post-2339909

THANKS!

Glad to hear it worked for you. In that case it sounds like it has to be something with my configuration. Would you be able to take a look and make any suggestions on where I may have gone wrong? I attached the config.plist and all configuration details to the original post: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...olt-3-i7-9700k-amd-rx-580.316533/post-2339909

THANKS!
This does not point to an OpenCore configuration issue, but likely to a conflict with some third-party software or third-party driver. If you have virus checkers, firewalls, VPN, malware protection apps, or other such utilities, those would be the first to turn off.

It’s also possible there’s a compatibility problem with the webcam.

As a last resort, one can do a fresh install of macOS on a spare SSD using the same EFI folder. Then only install Zoom on that temporary system.

This does not point to an OpenCore configuration issue, but likely to a conflict with some third-party software or third-party driver. If you have virus checkers, firewalls, VPN, malware protection apps, or other such utilities, those would be the first to turn off.

It’s also possible there’s a compatibility problem with the webcam.

As a last resort, one can do a fresh install of macOS on a spare SSD using the same EFI folder. Then only install Zoom on that temporary system.
I'd agree with the idea that it's a third-party software or driver incompatibility, but the same issue exists when running the OS in Safe Mode. And the crash happens at precisely the exact same moment - once I select what which screen or window to share.

Also, no webcam is used on this machine.

I'd agree with the idea that it's a third-party software or driver incompatibility, but the same issue exists when running the OS in Safe Mode. And the crash happens at precisely the exact same moment - once I select what which screen or window to share.

Also, no webcam is used on this machine.
I’m thinking that the Zoom installation may be corrupted, and that uninstalling it (from the menu, not by simply deleting the file) may not have helped.

Because the problem is not happening for most of us (i.e., so far you’re the first to report this), I have to suspect some sort of corruption.

By installing a fresh copy of macOS, we an isolate that variable. If Zoom still crashes during screenshare (on a fresh install) then we’ll have to suspect some hardware incompatibility.

Hello @EdBogie

Because you’re doing a fresh installation (good plan) with OpenCore, simply open the spoiler near the top of Post 1, which is labeled “Quick Reference to Mini-Guides and Micro-Guides”. In section 1 of that spoiler you’ll find a link to a fully configured OpenCore EFI folder. You’ll also find a link to BIOS F9g that has CFG-Lock disabled by default.

I would suggest installing BIOS F9g first (and configure BIOS parameters right afterwards). Then transfer PlatformInfo credentials from your existing OpenCore config.plist into the config.plist located in the downloaded EFI folder.

Thank you! I upgraded my BIOS to F9g and updated the EFI with your provided folder but when I go to boot after installing Monterey on my new drive, I’m getting stuck at pretty much the same spot. I’m still seeing it trying to access a “Locked Files” folder in a line with CFG in it even though it is definitely disabled in my BIOS. Any ideas?

I used numbers generated from GENSMBIOS for an iMac19,1, do I need to be using the numbers from my original clover install?

Thank you so much!

Attachments

• EB6F3ADE-E769-4E08-81CD-1C410493C23A.jpeg
    EB6F3ADE-E769-4E08-81CD-1C410493C23A.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 21
Back