Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Thank you for your answer. I am currently on HDMI and don't have the VRR mentioned, I will test with a Displayport cable and report back. The monitor is a Gigabyte M32U.

EDIT: I tested with a Displayport cable and it's better because I can go over 60 Hz. On the other hand, I cap at 98 Hz and I lose the HDR which is no longer offered. VRR is not present either. Under Windows, I can go up to 144 Hz and HDR is available. Weird, isn't it?
Here's my recent experience with VRR:

@CaseySJ
Yes I do have a CH341A reader/writer and I read the firmware now (the chip is MX25V8035FM2I,2MB size).Origianl HPTBT.aml and my EFI also provide below. It is on RP09 and the GPE may be _L4E ?

Thank you for your help.
Hello @Asrake,

In the attached ZIP file HP_Tormund_NVM61.zip there are two versions of the modified Thunderbolt firmware. The names are:
  • HP_Tormund_SSID846C_TR_NVM61-CASEYSJ-MOD1.bin
  • HP_Tormund_SSID846C_TR_NVM61-CASEYSJ-MOD2.bin
Please flash MOD1 first.

I have also created a Thunderbolt hot-plug SSDT for RP09, file name SSDT-TB3-HackinDROM-HP-Tormund.aml. Please copy this file to EFI/OC/ACPI and add it to config.plist --> ACPI.

Your config.plist already contains SSDT-DTPG.aml, so nothing else is needed. GPE handler _L4E is not needed in this case.

After completing the whole process, check System Information --> Thunderbolt/USB4. Also check IORegistryExplorer --> RP09. Feel free to post screenshots.

Attachments

• SSDT-TB3-HackinDROM-HP-Tormund.aml
    3.8 KB · Views: 15
  • HP_Tormund_NVM61.zip
    897.8 KB · Views: 13
@CaseySJ I tried to update to OC 0.8.4 but got a config.plist validation error. See screenshoot below. Should I install anyway?

When I did a hard boot to recover from sleep/wake issue, did not get the Keyboard set-up screen. I will keep an eye on this one.

OK, thanks.

Having issues w/ Sleep/Wake. System would not recover once my machine went to sleep. Took some screenshots of ACPI and Kernel files that are enabled in my system. I read in one of the responses in your thread that I may need to disable the USBWakeFixup Kext? Please confirm.

No, ethernet connected just fine.

Yes

Yes

Yes
Hi @CaseySJ Any thoughts on the update errors and sleep question above?

Hello @Asrake,

In the attached ZIP file HP_Tormund_NVM61.zip there are two versions of the modified Thunderbolt firmware. The names are:
  • HP_Tormund_SSID846C_TR_NVM61-CASEYSJ-MOD1.bin
  • HP_Tormund_SSID846C_TR_NVM61-CASEYSJ-MOD2.bin
Please flash MOD1 first.

I have also created a Thunderbolt hot-plug SSDT for RP09, file name SSDT-TB3-HackinDROM-HP-Tormund.aml. Please copy this file to EFI/OC/ACPI and add it to config.plist --> ACPI.

Your config.plist already contains SSDT-DTPG.aml, so nothing else is needed. GPE handler _L4E is not needed in this case.

After completing the whole process, check System Information --> Thunderbolt/USB4. Also check IORegistryExplorer --> RP09. Feel free to post screenshots.
Hello @CaseySJ .
I test both MOD1 and MOD2,both of them can make the thunderbolt tree show up (with a thunderbolt 3 egpu plug in)
Screen Shot 2022-09-19 at 11.54.25.png

but neither of them can recognize the egpu or any other usb c device . It seems (yeah ,just seems)that any modification to the firmware will lead to the thunderbolt device fall into safe mode and thus reject to enumerate any pcie or usb devices and even reject to power on the devices(the usb devcie led never light on).

I did some work before I ask you for your help, same result show as above.
I flash back to the original firmware but leave the SSDT-TB3-HackinDROM-HP-Tormund.aml in the EFI/OC/ACPI ,the result is shown below.
Screen Shot 2022-09-19 at 12.06.58.png

Thunderbolt device did not loaded of course,but with the SSDT-TB3-HackinDROM-HP-Tormund.aml pci device show something diffrence below.
Screen Shot 2022-09-19 at 12.07.59.png

the egpu RX580 was recognized and the usb host controller 15f0 on the egpu was also recognized. As you see the RX580 driver not installed so it did not work ,but the usb hotplug worked. If i turn off the egpu,it will show GPU Not Disconnected properly notification.The egpu hotplug in worked but the GPU driver did not load all the time .
Screen Shot 2022-09-19 at 12.08.09.png

I try to flash ASRock-itx/tb3-NVM50-E64Fr-CSJ-dgsga.bin which was modified on oct.24 and cooperate with SSDT-TB3-HackinDROM-HP-Tormund.aml.
When cold boot with thunderbolt egpu attach to it.Everything seems work properly.
Screen Shot 2022-09-19 at 12.17.50.png

The egpu RX580 worked,but hotplug do not work properly now(even the pci devices do not show again if you hotplug it).
Screen Shot 2022-09-19 at 12.20.40.png

So it is really weird that if you did any modification on the offical firmware,it will refuse to enumerate devices, but the ASRock-itx/tb3-NVM50-E64Fr-CSJ-dgsga.bin seems overcome the limitation.

Is there any possibility to enable ASRock firmware hotplug work properly (by modify the SSDT-TB3-HackinDROM-HP-Tormund.aml) ?

It is not good idea to flash the ASRock's firmware,I still want to use the modified offical firmware or the pure offical firmware (with some modification to the SSDT-TB3-HackinDROM-HP-Tormund.aml).

Thank you for your great help in advance .

Last edited:
@Asrake

Please try MOD3 attached here.

Attachments

• HP_Tormund_SSID846C_TR_NVM61-CASEYSJ-MOD3.bin.zip
    448.9 KB · Views: 19
Hi @CaseySJ Any thoughts on the update errors and sleep question above?
Oh yes, let's see now...
  • OCValidator warnings about Load Early are very easy to fix. Just uncheck the whole column as shown.
Screenshot 2022-09-19 at 8.56.43 AM.png

• For sleep/wake:
    • Disconnect the wired Ethernet cable and try again. We're seeing a mix of issues with wired Ethernet -- some boards experience crashes and others don't.
    • Also check that Wake for network access is disabled in System Preferences --> Network.

Okay, seems to be working now. I went with the initial SSDT-TbtOnPch that used Edge-Triggered and deactivated other patches. Seems I had to populate PCI devices in Device Properties tab of Open Core.

EDIT: Still having boot without display issues.
Sorry for the late reply.
  • Are you using a Thunderbolt monitor? What is the make/model of the monitor?
  • What ig-platform-id are you using in Device Properties (config.plist)?

@Asrake

Please try MOD3 attached here.
Hello @CaseySJ.
I test the MOD3, just same as MOD1 and MOD2. Thunderbolt bus recognized, but can not recognize any devices attach to it either cold boot nor hotplug .
I found that when it cooperate with SSDT-TB3-HackinDROM-HP-Tormund.aml, USB port in Hackintool seems could not be found.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-09-20 at 00.35.24.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-20 at 00.35.24.png
    912.5 KB · Views: 16
Hello @CaseySJ.
I test the MOD3, just same as MOD1 and MOD2. Thunderbolt bus recognized, but can not recognize any devices attach to it either cold boot nor hotplug .
I found that when it cooperate with SSDT-TB3-HackinDROM-HP-Tormund.aml, USB port in Hackintool seems could not be found.
Some comments:
  • The changes in MOD3 are nearly identical to the changes we made in ASRock-itx-tb3-NVM50-E64Fr-CSJ-dgsga.bin, except for 4 bytes that we don't think should make a difference.
  • But attached is MOD4 that also includes those 4 bytes. After flashing this version, please post a screenshot of System Information --> Thunderbolt/USB4.
  • I've also simplified the SSDT. Let's see if XHC5 appears in Hackintool.

Attachments

• HP_Tormund_SSID846C_TR_NVM61-CASEYSJ-MOD4.bin.zip
    448.9 KB · Views: 18
  • SSDT-TB3-HackinDROM-HP-Tormund.aml
    1.9 KB · Views: 18
Some comments:
  • The changes in MOD3 are nearly identical to the changes we made in ASRock-itx-tb3-NVM50-E64Fr-CSJ-dgsga.bin, except for 4 bytes that we don't think should make a difference.
  • But attached is MOD4 that also includes those 4 bytes. After flashing this version, please post a screenshot of System Information --> Thunderbolt/USB4.
  • I've also simplified the SSDT. Let's see if XHC5 appears in Hackintool.

@CaseySJ

Still same problem as shown below.
Screen Shot 2022-09-20 at 01.13.46.png

USB controller recognize as AppleUSBXHCITR but with no XHC5 SSP1 OR HS01 port.
Screen Shot 2022-09-20 at 01.23.45.png

Maybe there is something other than the specific byte in this version of firmware.
I will try to find some old version firmware and diff them with MOD4 use UltraCompare and modify them with UltraEdit.
If I figure out something I will share here with you.
Thank you for your help.

Back