HD 630 iGPU | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8GB
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
This may be a good opportunity to install BIOS F9g in which CFG-Lock is disabled by default. The file can be downloaded from here:
That did it. Thank you.

Is there value in updating to F9i?

Screen Shot 2022-09-01 at 7.01.18 PM.png

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare-OC
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX Vega 64
I have the same hardware but I want to run Opencore — is there a recommended EFI I can use? TIA!

Opencore 0.8.3, Monterey 12.5.1, iMac19,1, Gigabyte Z390 Designare, Sapphire Vega 64, 9900k, Kingston HyperX Predator 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600, no overclocking, BIOS F9i, Crucial MX500

edit: I think this is relevant but I apologize if not!

Motherboard
GA-z390-Designare
CPU
i9-9900KS Coffee Lake
Graphics
HD 630 iGPU | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8GB
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have the same hardware but I want to run Opencore — is there a recommended EFI I can use? TIA!

Opencore 0.8.3, Monterey 12.5.1, iMac19,1, Gigabyte Z390 Designare, Sapphire Vega 64, 9900k, Kingston HyperX Predator 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600, no overclocking, BIOS F9i, Crucial MX500

edit: I think this is relevant but I apologize if not!
On the #1 post of the thread, you can find @CaseySJ's custom EFI under the "Spoiler: Quick Reference to Mini-Guides and Micro-Guides" heading.

This is the latest Mini-Guide with 0.8.3 EFI (Just don't forget to transfer your System Serial Info.)

Motherboard
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX Vega 64
Thanks so much @mustang.dvs ! This thread is huge.

I wonder if anyone can help me. So with both @CaseySJ 's Opencore EFI and the one by seven-of-eleven, I'm having the same issue:

Computer is fine when being used, but when left idle for 15mins, it freezes. Then, it either restarts after a minute, or it goes into sleep (display turns off) and then restarts when I try to wake it.

To prevent crashing I have a macro that runs after 3mins of idle, that prevents sleep.

I also tried enabling SSDT-USBW.aml and USBWakeFixup.kext on Casey's build.

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Some questions:
  • Is this happening on the fresh install?
  • Is there anything in the Trash?
  • If you hold CTRL key while clicking on System Preferences icon on the Dock, then select a preferences pane, does it open?
  • What version of macOS have you installed?
  • During the end of the installation process when the "Welcome" wizard appeared, were you able to create a user account properly?
  • If you log out and log back in, can you open System Preferences?
Initially I thought I had resolved this with a simple reboot but I'm experiencing it again so it might be worth delving deeper.

• Yes, this is the fresh install.
• Trash is empty.
• Some PrefPanes will open but others won't. I'm again having trouble with Accessibility and Mouse, for example.
• There were no issues with accounts during setup. I did not migrate any data from an existing Home folder but instead started fresh.
• No, but a reboot helps.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z690-Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Thanks so much @mustang.dvs ! This thread is huge.

I wonder if anyone can help me. So with both @CaseySJ 's Opencore EFI and the one by seven-of-eleven, I'm having the same issue:

Computer is fine when being used, but when left idle for 15mins, it freezes. Then, it either restarts after a minute, or it goes into sleep (display turns off) and then restarts when I try to wake it.

To prevent crashing I have a macro that runs after 3mins of idle, that prevents sleep.

I also tried enabling SSDT-USBW.aml and USBWakeFixup.kext on Casey's build.

Some questions:
  • Is this a brand new installation of Monterey?
  • If not, was it running Big Sur or Catalina before being upgraded in-place to Monterey?
    • If so, perhaps some applications aren't compatible with Monterey. We generally recommend upgrading all third-party apps and removing any legacy 32-bit apps
  • Was it running Clover? And you would like to switch to OpenCore?

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z690-Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Initially I thought I had resolved this with a simple reboot but I'm experiencing it again so it might be worth delving deeper.

• Yes, this is the fresh install.
• Trash is empty.
• Some PrefPanes will open but others won't. I'm again having trouble with Accessibility and Mouse, for example.
• There were no issues with accounts during setup. I did not migrate any data from an existing Home folder but instead started fresh.
• No, but a reboot helps.
I vague recall someone reporting a problem like this. Not sure about the details, but here's something to consider:
  • If you've logged into iCloud, try signing out
  • Check your config.plist for the following:
Screenshot 2022-09-02 at 9.25.16 AM.png

• Worst case, try erasing the disk and re-installing macOS. But do not log into iCloud. Check if all System Preferences panes open properly.

Motherboard
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX Vega 64
Some questions:
  • Is this a brand new installation of Monterey?
  • If not, was it running Big Sur or Catalina before being upgraded in-place to Monterey?
    • If so, perhaps some applications aren't compatible with Monterey. We generally recommend upgrading all third-party apps and removing any legacy 32-bit apps
  • Was it running Clover? And you would like to switch to OpenCore?
This is a fresh install of Monterey (never clover or a previous OS), although I did copy/paste some apps over from my previous hard drive, which was Catalina+Clover. If you think it could be an app, I can close everything and see if it still happens.

I'm also getting a replacement PSU today, but I'm not sure if that fixes it.

Thanks for your reply and all your great work here. You're truly a legend!

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z690-Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
This is a fresh install of Monterey (never clover or a previous OS), although I did copy/paste some apps over from my previous hard drive, which was Catalina+Clover. If you think it could be an app, I can close everything and see if it still happens.
If a freshly installed system is freezing after 15 or so minutes of inactivity, I would consider the following:
  • Sure, it's always a good idea to close all 3rd party apps
  • Check all cables, particularly the 24-pin motherboard cable and the 8-pin CPU cable (at the top left of motherboard)
    • Check both ends of each power cable
  • Check that all PCIe cards are securely installed in their slots
  • Check that memory modules are fully inserted in their slots
I'm also getting a replacement PSU today, but I'm not sure if that fixes it.
I faced a similar problem recently that turned out to be due to faulty memory. If you have another pair of memory modules, try installing those in this system for a period of time.

Regarding the PSU:
  • How old is the PSU you're currently using?
  • What is the power rating of the existing PSU?

Motherboard
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX Vega 64
If a freshly installed system is freezing after 15 or so minutes of inactivity, I would consider the following:
  • Sure, it's always a good idea to close all 3rd party apps
  • Check all cables, particularly the 24-pin motherboard cable and the 8-pin CPU cable (at the top left of motherboard)
    • Check both ends of each power cable
  • Check that all PCIe cards are securely installed in their slots
  • Check that memory modules are fully inserted in their slots
I'll check these today.

I faced a similar problem recently that turned out to be due to faulty memory. If you have another pair of memory modules, try installing those in this system for a period of time.
I don't but I have a Windows boot drive... I can run Memtest or ideally something easier :)

Regarding the PSU:
Seasonic Focus PX-850 (850W 80+ Platinum), bought in 2020. Seasonic sent me an Advance RMA.