Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@CaseySJHi,today I received WD SN850, and I have a question...Is it possible to put 2 NVMe in the Designare with the same bus speed? Or its more slow? (1 for macOS and the other for data)?

thx
Yes we can install two NVMe SSDs and both will operate at full speed. We will, however, lose a couple of SATA ports. There is a table in the Designare User’s Manual that tells us exactly which SATA ports will be affected.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9 9900k
Graphics
RX480
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Performa
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
  4. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Even Monterey supports FW, the issue seems the DriverKit model was changed, so drivers has to be redone, a task that not many companies are willing to take (spend more resources in legacy hardware)
Yes. RME went the extra mile and wrote another driver.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
5700 XT
Yes we can install two NVMe SSDs and both will operate at full speed. We will, however, lose a couple of SATA ports. There is a table in the Designare User’s Manual that tells us exactly which SATA ports will be affected.

OK! I tried and lost a SATA HDD... I prefer to put it in NVMe adapter to PCJe card... I have this:

it runs in PCIe x4 x8 x16 slot, which slot is best for Samsung 970 EVO Plus?

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 580
Hello Keith,

Good idea to start fresh with OpenCore and Monterey! To answer your questions:
  1. BIOS F9g and F9i are recommended because they are tried and true. In BIOS F9g the CFG-Lock parameter is disabled by default, which saves a step. BIOS F9g is a bit newer but CFG-Lock must be manually disabled. Both of these are available for download from links provided in the spoiler at the top of Post 1 labeled Quick Reference to Mini-Guides and Micro-Guides (Section 1, 9th and 10th bullets).
  2. I would suggest following this guide, which was originally written for Big Sur, but mentally replace "Big Sur" with "Monterey". I've just updated it a little bit.
  3. We should disable TRIM if we're using Samsung NVMe SSDs and certain models of Samsung SATA SSDs. There's a link at the top of Post 1, just above NOTE 1 that provides more details.
  4. The Replace Clover with OpenCore guide is not ideal for this case because you're doing a fresh installation. After installing Monterey, disable the SmallTreeIntel82576 driver and see if macOS utilizes both Ethernet ports. The new SmallTree driver should only be used if the i211 port fails to connect in latest version of Monterey.

Hi CaseySJ,

Thanks for your great help and prompt reply again. I will try your recommendation this week end.

By the way, where can I edit the value of “SetApfsTrimTimeout” to disable TRIM?

Best regards,
Keith

Feartech

Motherboard
Asus N752VX-OpenCore
CPU
i7-6700HQ / HM170
Graphics
HD 530 1920 x 1080
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi CaseySJ,

Thanks for your great help and prompt reply again. I will try your recommendation this week end.

By the way, where can I edit the value of “SetApfsTrimTimeout” to disable TRIM?

Best regards,
Keith
in your config.plist

Motherboard
Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900k
Graphics
Gt 710
Hm? I just checked my TB3 -> TB2 -> FireWire contraption connected to my ancient RME FireFace 800, and sure enough, this still works.

Had to fight with the .kext installation but that is a known issue in BS.
View attachment 550974
Oh snap…. Good to know, i will try that way then. Any specific kext that i will need?

Motherboard
Giga Z390 Designare
CPU
i7-9700k
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Ah.. I like Stage Manger in someways but having to deal with icons or files on Desktop while Stage Manager enabled, is a nightmare.