Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Would be good to check this guide to see if any additional steps or cleanups are needed in Mojave:

Last edited:
Motherboard
Giga Z390 Designare
CPU
i7-9700k
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
I've set the mindate & minversion to -1.

Now I can see the 10.14.6 partition, but when I choose it I get the white apple and nothing happens. Really nothing.
Big Sur with the same EFI works OK, white apple, progress bar, login, desktop.

Some remnant of Clover I may have overlooked?
Is the SecureBootModel set to Disabled?

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9 9900k
Graphics
RX480
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Performa
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
  4. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Is disabled. I can boot into the Mojave Recovery partition. Kinda slow, but it works. I removed some clover leftovers from L/E that I missed, but I am still stuck at the same point when I try to boot the real Mojave.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 580
Hi CaseySJ,

Thanks for your great work and keep supporting this build. I have built a hackintosh 2 years ago by following your guide with exactly the same hardware (using Clover before). I want to format it and freshly install to Monterey 12.3 with OpenCore. I have tried to go through all the mini guide but I still have some questions, would you please help?

1. Would you please kindly advise which BIOS version I should use? should I use F9g or F9i? There is only F9 and F9j available in the gigabyte official website.
  2. Which mini guide version I should (like "OpenCore 0.6.3.EFI for Z390 Designare" OR "OpenCore 0.8.0 Upgrade Procedure with new i211-V Ethernet driver for Monterey")
  3. Do I need to disable the TRIM function in Monterey?
  4. Will it better to use "Replace Clover with OpenCore guide" and update the OS directly?
Best regards,
Keith

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9 9900KS
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac mini
  5. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Classic
  2. iBook
  3. Power Mac
  4. PowerBook
  5. Quadra
  6. SE/30
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Is disabled. I can boot into the Mojave Recovery partition. Kinda slow, but it works. I removed some clover leftovers from L/E that I missed, but I am still stuck at the same point when I try to boot the real Mojave.
Ahhh! This rings a bell. You may have some leftover Clover RC junk on your machine. When following the instructions at the "Replace Clover with OpenCore" link, make sure that in your config.plist that you have "Misc -> Security -> AllowNvramReset -> True" and on reboot, hit the Reset NVRAM after hitting the Spacebar right after OpenCore loads.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z690-Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I've reset NVRAM a couple of times, the AllowNvramRest parameter = true, but that doesn't help.
Would be good to compress and post the EFI folder with serial numbers redacted, of course...

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z690-Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi CaseySJ,

Thanks for your great work and keep supporting this build. I have built a hackintosh 2 years ago by following your guide with exactly the same hardware (using Clover before). I want to format it and freshly install to Monterey 12.3 with OpenCore. I have tried to go through all the mini guide but I still have some questions, would you please help?

1. Would you please kindly advise which BIOS version I should use? should I use F9g or F9i? There is only F9 and F9j available in the gigabyte official website.
  2. Which mini guide version I should (like "OpenCore 0.6.3.EFI for Z390 Designare" OR "OpenCore 0.8.0 Upgrade Procedure with new i211-V Ethernet driver for Monterey")
  3. Do I need to disable the TRIM function in Monterey?
  4. Will it better to use "Replace Clover with OpenCore guide" and update the OS directly?
Best regards,
Keith
Hello Keith,

Good idea to start fresh with OpenCore and Monterey! To answer your questions:
  1. BIOS F9g and F9i are recommended because they are tried and true. In BIOS F9g the CFG-Lock parameter is disabled by default, which saves a step. BIOS F9g is a bit newer but CFG-Lock must be manually disabled. Both of these are available for download from links provided in the spoiler at the top of Post 1 labeled Quick Reference to Mini-Guides and Micro-Guides (Section 1, 9th and 10th bullets).
  2. I would suggest following this guide, which was originally written for Big Sur, but mentally replace "Big Sur" with "Monterey". I've just updated it a little bit.
  3. We should disable TRIM if we're using Samsung NVMe SSDs and certain models of Samsung SATA SSDs. There's a link at the top of Post 1, just above NOTE 1 that provides more details.
  4. The Replace Clover with OpenCore guide is not ideal for this case because you're doing a fresh installation. After installing Monterey, disable the SmallTreeIntel82576 driver and see if macOS utilizes both Ethernet ports. The new SmallTree driver should only be used if the i211 port fails to connect in latest version of Monterey.