Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi @CaseySJ. I had to have a perfect EFIi for Catalina. But for a long time I did not use my PC as hackintosh. Now I'm trying to install Monterey but can't get to OpenCore screen. It always reboots to BIOS. What I have tried;

1- My working EFI for Catalina (obviously not working)
2- Replacing OpenCore files with updated ones. (not working)
3- A new EFI created by OC Gen X. (not working)
4- A new config.plist created by Proper Tree.

I'm on BIOS F9 (without letter) now. And, when I was on Catalina, I was using Intel GPU. Now I want to use MSI Gaming Trio X 6900 XT (it should be XTX variant I think). I tried with iGPU, too, but it did not work, too.

Do you have an advice for me?
Some questions:
  • Are you able to boot into Catalina?
  • When you say you're "trying to install Monterey", does this mean you created a brand new USB install disk for Monterey?
    • Or does this mean you actually booted into Catalina and you are trying to install Monterey from System Preferences --> Software Update?
  • If you have created a brand new USB install disk for Monterey, did you first format the USB flash disk in macOS Disk Utility with:
    • Format = MacOS Extended (Journaled)
    • Scheme = GUID Partition Map
  • If so, please compress and post the EFI folder from the USB install disk, but remove serial numbers from PlatformInfo section of config.plist
  • If Windows is installed on the computer, please launch Windows and run an app such as HWINFO64. We can use this app to determine the Device ID (DID) of the AMD RX 6900 XTX. If the device ID is not 0x73BF, then we have to create a DeviceProperty in config.plist to change the Device ID to 0x73BF.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Integrated Graphics
Some questions:
  • Are you able to boot into Catalina?
  • When you say you're "trying to install Monterey", does this mean you created a brand new USB install disk for Monterey?
    • Or does this mean you actually booted into Catalina and you are trying to install Monterey from System Preferences --> Software Update?
  • If you have created a brand new USB install disk for Monterey, did you first format the USB flash disk in macOS Disk Utility with:
    • Format = MacOS Extended (Journaled)
    • Scheme = GUID Partition Map
  • If so, please compress and post the EFI folder from the USB install disk, but remove serial numbers from PlatformInfo section of config.plist
  • If Windows is installed on the computer, please launch Windows and run an app such as HWINFO64. We can use this app to determine the Device ID (DID) of the AMD RX 6900 XTX. If the device ID is not 0x73BF, then we have to create a DeviceProperty in config.plist to change the Device ID to 0x73BF.
  • I did not try to neither install nor boot into Catalina. I wanted to mention Catalina because I had a fully functional install on it long time ago. The only differences are, BIOS version and 6900 XT.
  • I created brand new USB install disk on a real Intel Mac by the createinstallmedia command. I also installed macOS on an external drive on real Mac and put EFI folder into its EFI partition.
  • I checked 6900 XT device id and its 0x73BF
  • By the way i want to boot to macOS from an external drive as I used to do.
  • Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Catalina EFI.zip
    13.8 MB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Integrated Graphics
  • I did not try to neither install nor boot into Catalina. I wanted to mention Catalina because I had a fully functional install on it long time ago. The only differences are, BIOS version and 6900 XT.
  • I created brand new USB install disk on a real Intel Mac by the createinstallmedia command. I also installed macOS on an external drive on real Mac and put EFI folder into its EFI partition.
  • I checked 6900 XT device id and its 0x73BF
  • By the way i want to boot to macOS from an external drive as I used to do.
  • Thanks in advance.
I have been trying everything for 15 hours or more, but this time it turned out to be a joke. I tried a lot of EFI folders, a lot of config files, a lot of OpenCore versions, etc. I never saw anything but BIOS all the time. Always reboots to BIOS. I even tried flashing BIOS again. Never see OpenCore ever. Selecting an OpenCore installed disk immediately ends up in BIOS.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z690-Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have been trying everything for 15 hours or more, but this time it turned out to be a joke. I tried a lot of EFI folders, a lot of config files, a lot of OpenCore versions, etc. I never saw anything but BIOS all the time. Always reboots to BIOS. I even tried flashing BIOS again. Never see OpenCore ever. Selecting an OpenCore installed disk immediately ends up in BIOS.
Please see the mini-guide below, which is for Big Sur, but applies to Monterey as well (just mentally replace all references to Big Sur with Monterey):
Post 1 provides BIOS settings. We recommend F9g and F9i. However, it should be possible to install macOS with BIOS F9, but Thunderbolt ports may not hot-plug.

Motherboard
Z390 DESIGNARE
CPU
I9 9900KF
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Please see the mini-guide below, which is for Big Sur, but applies to Monterey as well (just mentally replace all references to Big Sur with Monterey):
Post 1 provides BIOS settings. We recommend F9g and F9i. However, it should be possible to install macOS with BIOS F9, but Thunderbolt ports may not hot-plug.
Dear Casey, I already have a working OpenCore 075. However, I see that you have an OpenCore EFI folder made especially for Designare board with all kexts and drivers. I managed to install with Monterey without your guide, It is working ok-ish. However, I have some issues with USB mapping. Only 2.0 ports are working, and I am dissapointed because I want USB 3 type. Can I use your EFI folder? I just have to rename config-Intel-iGPU.plist to config.plist? I don't have IGPU my chip 9900KF has no internal GPU. Should I tweak something in config.plist? I should mount EFI directly into my Moterey (with mountEFI app) and that is all I need to do? Or I should genarete my own kext, drivers SMBIOS rename and so on? I am new on OpenCore and a lot of guides on youtube are in spanish.:banghead:

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z690-Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Dear Casey, I already have a working OpenCore 075. However, I see that you have an OpenCore EFI folder made especially for Designare board with all kexts and drivers. I managed to install with Monterey without your guide, It is working ok-ish. However, I have some issues with USB mapping. Only 2.0 ports are working, and I am dissapointed because I want USB 3 type. Can I use your EFI folder? I just have to rename config-Intel-iGPU.plist to config.plist? I don't have IGPU my chip 9900KF has no internal GPU. Should I tweak something in config.plist? I should mount EFI directly into my Moterey (with mountEFI app) and that is all I need to do? Or I should genarete my own kext, drivers SMBIOS rename and so on? I am new on OpenCore and a lot of guides on youtube are in spanish.:banghead:
Hello @danielurdea

You can use the OC 0.7.8 EFI folder from the mini-guide referred to in the spoiler “Quick Reference to Mini-Guides and Micro-Guides” at the top of Post 1. That guide has instructions for using that EFI folder.

Because you have an AMD GPU it’s necessary to using “config-AMD-GPU.plist”. Rename the file and copy your serial numbers into “PlatformInfo —> DataHub” section as explained also in the mini-guide.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Integrated Graphics
Hello again helpful @CaseySJ ! Miraculously Hackindrom-generated EFI solved the problem ! Thank you ! I haven't checked all the features yet but one is very obvious. 4k 144HZ monitor works as 95 hz. Is there a workaround for DSC or is it completely fault of Mac OS?
Edit:
Thunderbolt ports says driver is missing on "about this mac"
Airdrop, continuity, handoff, sidecar, universal control not working. ( Are they even possible to work? )
Apple TV app not working, looks like a DRM issue.
After a long idle time (enough to disconnect bluetooth devices) reconnecting uses incredible cpu and getting unresponsive, I killed a bluetooth process in activity monitor and keyboard connection problem is fixed. But I think there is a problem with bluetooth. It will probably repeat when idle.

Last edited:

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z690-Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello again helpful @CaseySJ ! Miraculously Hackindrom-generated EFI solved the problem ! Thank you ! I haven't checked all the features yet but one is very obvious
Glad to hear it!

. 4k 144HZ monitor works as 95 hz. Is there a workaround for DSC or is it completely fault of Mac OS?
If you’re getting 95Hz consider yourself lucky! Remember this is a Hackintosh. We must set reasonable expectations. Nevertheless, try downloading and using “SwitchResX”. It may or may not work.

Edit:
Thunderbolt ports says driver is missing on "about this mac"
Perfectly normal. Unless we flash the Thunderbolt firmware with an external CH341a SPI ROM reader/writer, this will always say “No drivers are loaded”. Simply ignore that. Connect a Thunderbolt device and see if it actually works.

Airdrop, continuity, handoff, sidecar, universal control not working. ( Are they even possible to work? )
Yes these are all possible but ONLY with a Fenvi FV-T919 or similar Broadcom-based WiFi/BT module.

Apple TV app not working, looks like a DRM issue.
Apple changed the way DRM is handled. Only way to use DRM protected content in Apple’s apps is to change system product name to either iMacPro1,1 or MacPro7,1 — but this also requires enabling “RestrictEvents.kext” in the Kernel section of config.plist.

After a long idle time (enough to disconnect bluetooth devices) reconnecting uses incredible cpu and getting unresponsive, I killed a bluetooth process in activity monitor and keyboard connection problem is fixed. But I think there is a problem with bluetooth. It will probably repeat when idle.
Intel Bluetooth will absolutely not work in Monterey. If you’re using Broadcom Bluetooth, what is the make and model of your WiFi/BT card or module?

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Integrated Graphics
Glad to hear it!

If you’re getting 95Hz consider yourself lucky! Remember this is a Hackintosh. We must set reasonable expectations. Nevertheless, try downloading and using “SwitchResX”. It may or may not work.

Perfectly normal. Unless we flash the Thunderbolt firmware with an external CH341a SPI ROM reader/writer, this will always say “No drivers are loaded”. Simply ignore that. Connect a Thunderbolt device and see if it actually works.

Yes these are all possible but ONLY with a Fenvi FV-T919 or similar Broadcom-based WiFi/BT module.

Apple changed the way DRM is handled. Only way to use DRM protected content in Apple’s apps is to change system product name to either iMacPro1,1 or MacPro7,1 — but this also requires enabling “RestrictEvents.kext” in the Kernel section of config.plist.

Intel Bluetooth will absolutely not work in Monterey. If you’re using Broadcom Bluetooth, what is the make and model of your WiFi/BT card or module?
I'm using Intel Bluetooth for now. Maybe I could buy a Fenvi FV-T919. Thanks for the detailed answers. Wish you the best!

FV-HB1200 seems a lot cheaper than FV-T919. Is there any downsides?

Last edited:

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z690-Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'm using intel bluetooth for now. Maybe i could buy a Fenvi FV-T919. Thanks for the detailed answers. Wish you the best!

FV-HB1200 seems a lot cheaper than FV-T919. Is there any downsides?
The FV-HB1200 is also a very good choice.