Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

The SmallTreeIntel kext is necessary in Big Sur. It is only Monterey that supports it natively.
I am on Big Sur, and have the SmallTreeIntel kext installed. When I try the procedure in the spoiler, just to see if this works, I lose all network connectivity. This procedure should avoid/fix this, but in my case it doesn't work. Any idea why? I just tried the procedure another time, and sure enough, no network.

Apparently, 12.4 is breaking hot-swap/powerswap on my UAD Apollo 8. I'm still using genuine Apple cables and dongle-dapters (this Z390 is unflashed.) I've reflashed the Z390 with F9i, did the TB cable separation thing, cleared NVRAM several times, cleared the CMOS, enabled and disabled CSM in BIOS, tried different TB security settings from what I'd been using, but as of yesterday, hotplug/powerswap for a TB2 Apollo 8 only works on Monterey 12.3.x.
FWIW, I can still boot from my Blackmagic Design Multidock II. OpenCore 080.

I am on Big Sur, and have the SmallTreeIntel kext installed. When I try the procedure in the spoiler, just to see if this works, I lose all network connectivity. This procedure should avoid/fix this, but in my case it doesn't work. Any idea why? I just tried the procedure another time, and sure enough, no network.
To confirm if all 4 steps for enabling AppleVTD are done, please post screenshots of the following:
  • OpenCore Configurator (OCC) —> ACPI —> Add
  • OCC —> ACPI —> Delete
  • OCC —> Kernel
  • IORegistryExplorer screen (no need to scroll the device list; just launch IOReg and post screenshot)

Apparently, 12.4 is breaking hot-swap/powerswap on my UAD Apollo 8. I'm still using genuine Apple cables and dongle-dapters (this Z390 is unflashed.) I've reflashed the Z390 with F9i, did the TB cable separation thing, cleared NVRAM several times, cleared the CMOS, enabled and disabled CSM in BIOS, tried different TB security settings from what I'd been using, but as of yesterday, hotplug/powerswap for a TB2 Apollo 8 only works on Monterey 12.3.x.
FWIW, I can still boot from my Blackmagic Design Multidock II. OpenCore 080.
Have you tried setting BIOS —> Thunderbolt —> Thunderbolt Boot Support —> Boot Once?

Have you tried setting BIOS —> Thunderbolt —> Thunderbolt Boot Support —> Boot Once?
Hi Casey. Thanks for the reply. Thunderbolt Boot Support —> Boot Once is my usual jam. This started happening just the other day. On a related issue with 12.4, I also couldn't add my Apple Thunderbolt-to-Ethernet adapter, but on another SSD running 12.3, I could create/add the usual Thunderbolt-to Ethernet device and I can get AVB as well. I'm booting with the same OC 080 EFI as what drives 12.4. I wonder if an invisible overnight "update" "fixed" something. This machine runs 24/7.

Hi Casey. Thanks for the reply. Thunderbolt Boot Support —> Boot Once is my usual jam. This started happening just the other day. On a related issue with 12.4, I also couldn't add my Apple Thunderbolt-to-Ethernet adapter, but on another SSD running 12.3, I could create/add the usual Thunderbolt-to Ethernet device and I can get AVB as well. I'm booting with the same OC 080 EFI as what drives 12.4. I wonder if an invisible overnight "update" "fixed" something. This machine runs 24/7.
Some questions and comments:
  • Was the Apollo 8 able to hot plug for some time after 12.4 was installed, but suddenly it refuses to hot plug?
    • If so, can you think of anything that might have changed? Apple did not release any macOS updates or security fixes since 12.4 rolled out.
    • You say the machine runs 24/7, but have you tried cold starting the machine -- or performing any other steps -- to see if Apollo hot plug functionality recovers?
  • Is AppleVTD fully enabled (i.e. all 4 steps as mentioned in my reply above to @zipb)?
    • Apple Thunderbolt-to-Ethernet adapter requires AppleVTD in Monterey.

In many cases the SmallTree-Intel-211-8259x.kext is not needed in Monterey. Apple provides native support for this network controller, but we may need to enable AppleVTD
I already had everything except Enable VT-d in the bios, probably from your earlier instructions, so I made that change.
In OpenCore 0.8.0 we should be able to set SetApfsTrimTimeout to 0 instead of -1. Please see if that helps:
And then I tried this. And neither worked at all! And then I noticed OpenCore Configurator was complaining that I was using an old version of OC, and then the next reboot I saw a bunch of "OCS: No schema for <thing> at n index". Then even `nvram 4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102:eek:pencore-version` was saying I was still on OC0.7.3. But HackinDROM said my EFI folder was updated to OC0.8.0.

Then, I realized the BIOS had been booting off of my backup SSD. I unplugged power to that one to be fully sure, and then with the timeout at 0 it booted in like 16 seconds after the FileVault password prompt, vs the ~2.5min with timeout -1.

The top Ethernet was still a problem because when I fully removed the older SmallTree8259x.kext, I also undid the max kernel version limit on the older SmallTree, but it was still using that. After disabling the SmallTree one altogether, the top Ethernet works again.

I don’t use any Thunderbolt things on this to test AppleVTD, but that seems probably working.
1654478915868.png

I'm a bit disappointed with the TRIM situation, I hadn't been paying attention and it came as a surprise. I might start looking at better supported drives from the list linked in the first post.

So thank you very much, everything aside from that seems great now! I really appreciate all the work you do and all the resources in this thread.

Some questions and comments:
  • Was the Apollo 8 able to hot plug for some timeafter 12.4 was installed, but suddenly it refuses to hot plug?
    • If so, can you think of anything that might have changed? Apple did not release any macOS updates or security fixes since 12.4 rolled out.
    • You say the machine runs 24/7, but have you tried cold starting the machine -- or performing any other steps -- to see if Apollo hot plug functionality recovers?
  • Is AppleVTD fully enabled (i.e. all 4 steps as mentioned in my reply above to @zipb)?
    • Apple Thunderbolt-to-Ethernet adapter requires AppleVTD in Monterey.
Hi Casey. Yes, hotswap/powerswap has been working great on this 12.4 machine up until a couple days ago, and for no apparent reason. The first thing I did was cold boot. When that failed to work and when I was getting really slow boots and black screens after login, I figured I had "BIOS-rot" and I cleared the CMOS, flipped the battery out, and reseated a stick of RAM. I became suspicious when I went plugged another SSD with 12.3.1 and OC079 into another slot on the BMD Multidock and it worked fine. In my earier post, I also indicated my signature "disconnect & drain the Thunderbolt cables" trick.

Update:

From testing the different systems and OC EFI's, the problem seems to have been what I call BIOS Rot.
I always make backups/duplicate setups and I have the BIOS setup password-locked (I learned that trick from when I was using Windows) so that changes can only be made on purpose. No matter. eventually, something degrades with the Z390 Designare that is not apparent or visible in the GUI and slow BIOS POST is the symptom, followed by Thunderbolt hot-swap breaking. The best remedy is to clear the CMOS and usually reflash the BIOS with F9i.

Attachments

• OCC ACPI Add.png
    OCC ACPI Add.png
    137.7 KB · Views: 30
  • OCC ACPI Delete.png
    OCC ACPI Delete.png
    66.4 KB · Views: 31
  • OCC Kernel.png
    OCC Kernel.png
    237.8 KB · Views: 26
  • OCC Drivers.png
    OCC Drivers.png
    86.8 KB · Views: 25
  • VTD in 12.3.1 and OC079.png
    VTD in 12.3.1 and OC079.png
    256.9 KB · Views: 28
  • Apollo listed in 12.3.1 and OC079.png
    Apollo listed in 12.3.1 and OC079.png
    125.7 KB · Views: 31
  • Apple Thunderbolt Ethernet adapter in 12.3.1 and OC079.png
    Apple Thunderbolt Ethernet adapter in 12.3.1 and OC079.png
    71.5 KB · Views: 21
  • AVB with Apple Thunderbolt Ethernet adapter in 12.3.1 and OC079.png
    AVB with Apple Thunderbolt Ethernet adapter in 12.3.1 and OC079.png
    121 KB · Views: 22
  • RP05_Apollo Power off in 12.3.1.png
    RP05_Apollo Power off in 12.3.1.png
    352.6 KB · Views: 22
  • RP05_Apollo Power-on-Reconnect in 12.3.1.png
    RP05_Apollo Power-on-Reconnect in 12.3.1.png
    459.1 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
To confirm if all 4 steps for enabling AppleVTD are done, please post screenshots of the following:
  • OpenCore Configurator (OCC) —> ACPI —> Add
  • OCC —> ACPI —> Delete
  • OCC —> Kernel
  • IORegistryExplorer screen (no need to scroll the device list; just launch IOReg and post screenshot)
There you go. Thanks for your time!

I'm on BIOS F9i OC0.8.0 VT-d is enabled in BIOS.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-06-06 at 10.44.59.png
    Screenshot 2022-06-06 at 10.44.59.png
    135.4 KB · Views: 29
  • Screenshot 2022-06-06 at 10.45.47.png
    Screenshot 2022-06-06 at 10.45.47.png
    270.5 KB · Views: 30
  • Screenshot 2022-06-06 at 10.45.16.png
    Screenshot 2022-06-06 at 10.45.16.png
    97.8 KB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot 2022-06-06 at 10.50.40.png
    Screenshot 2022-06-06 at 10.50.40.png
    183.7 KB · Views: 34
There you go. Thanks for your time!

I'm on BIOS F9i OC0.8.0 VT-d is enabled in BIOS.
The problem is that ACPI —> Delete section is empty. We need to delete the original DMAR table as described in the top half of this post:

Back