Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@Leesureone

I am most familiar with Gigabyte’s GC-Titan Ridge and GC-Alpine Ridge. However, as I recall, a flashed Asus Titan Ridge card (ThunderboltEX 3-TR) works best on an Asus motherboard with a compatible Thunderbolt header.

But I need to defer to @NorthAmTransAm on this.
10-4. I'm intending to use it on my Z690-G Rog Strix Gaming Wifi which has the 14 pin Thunderbolt header. Thanks for the prompt reply

10-4. I'm intending to use it on my Z690-G Rog Strix Gaming Wifi which has the 14 pin Thunderbolt header. Thanks for the prompt reply
How about this for prompt! Let me know how it goes. TB is still the most exciting part of this to me.

On the Z370 board the EX3 was a dream. Required no flashing and gave us a full thunderbolt bus. The EX3 on the Z690 was nothing but trouble and I never got anything to connect. I could be wrong but this card did not appreciate being jumpered or headerless.

I can't speak to the TR but I've read some success here and there.

The GC-Titan 2.0 is simply the best way to go. Man, I love this card. I believe I'm using NVM33 (typically for onboard).

Sketchy Pro-Tip: If your SOC Clip gives you trouble consider sanding it down a little bit so the pins have a lower access on the chip.
Sketchy Pro-Tip indeed :lol:. I think I'll have a go with the TR variant and see what gives. Question, using the GC-Titan 2.0 you then use the five pin thunderbolt header cable? Thanks

Sketchy Pro-Tip indeed :lol:. I think I'll have a go with the TR variant and see what gives. Question, using the GC-Titan 2.0 you then use the five pin thunderbolt header cable? Thanks
I had to sand it down for a chip on an HDD motherboard. When I later used it on the GC-Titan its was super quick to grab. First shot.

I jumped my pins 3 and 5 on the header and all was well!

I had to sand it down for a chip on an HDD motherboard. When I later used it on the GC-Titan its was super quick to grab. First shot.

I jumped my pins 3 and 5 on the header and all was well!

Dang, that was PROMPT! To clarify for a noob then pins are jumped on the card then?

Dang, that was PROMPT! To clarify for a noob then pins are jumped on the card then?
I'm staring down some work that I do NOT want to do. A pretty privileged statement for someone working at home for himself.

Right! What I did was I removed all connections from the header cable except 3 and 5. I just yanked them out. Then I connected the remaining ones (3 and 5) in a low profile manor.

Another option is to buy jumper cables and just jumper it on the card. If they're snug enough then this feels the best way.

A 3rd option is to solder on the board, connecting 3 and 5 but that feels unnecessary.

I'm staring down some work that I do NOT want to do. A pretty privileged statement for someone working at home for himself.

Right! What I did was I removed all connections from the header cable except 3 and 5. I just yanked them out. Then I connected the remaining ones (3 and 5) in a low profile manor.

Another option is to buy jumper cables and just jumper it on the card. If they're snug enough then this feels the best way.

A 3rd option is to solder on the board, connecting 3 and 5 but that feels unnecessary.
Driving to my first job site….option 2 sounds good. Thanks for that

Driving to my first job site….option 2 sounds good. Thanks for that
One note, my GC-Titan finds USB 2.0 a bit disagreeable. It could be the firmware I chose but I doubt it.

One note, my GC-Titan finds USB 2.0 a bit disagreeable. It could be the firmware I chose but I doubt it
But you still have it connected to a USB2 header on the motherboard?

But you still have it connected to a USB2 header on the motherboard?
I actually removed it. I could have been an incompatible device all together. I got spooked and ran!

Back