Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@bobmeister
I found a supplier for the D-Link, but it's something like $50. You don't happen to have a NAS that you could test with BM Disk Speed Test to see what your CPU load is like using the Dub-E250? TIA!
Are you the US? Right now Amazon shows 2 available at $20-ish.

good luck

I've lost faith a new BIOS will ever release without Thunderbolt issues. I'm on the new capsule BIOS, F9, for one reason only: Resizable BAR, and I'm stuck there. I've had to switch to Windows for the time being where a workaround is to leave TB devices turned off until I've booted into Windows - then they'll work. Doesn't work on Mac OS though. Was there ever any recognition of this issue from Gigabyte? Feels incredibly problematic that they would release a product, break one of it's core features in a BIOS update, even lock users to that BIOS version, and then leave it like that and move on to whatever else they're selling these days.

I've lost faith a new BIOS will ever release without Thunderbolt issues. I'm on the new capsule BIOS, F9, for one reason only: Resizable BAR, and I'm stuck there. I've had to switch to Windows for the time being where a workaround is to leave TB devices turned off until I've booted into Windows - then they'll work. Doesn't work on Mac OS though. Was there ever any recognition of this issue from Gigabyte? Feels incredibly problematic that they would release a product, break one of it's core features in a BIOS update, even lock users to that BIOS version, and then leave it like that and move on to whatever else they're selling these days.
Fortunately we can still downgrade from a capsule BIOS to an earlier one. Please see:

Can somebody remind me how to flash the TB firmware on my Z390 in Windows? Just the latest official FW, not the ones that you need to flash via a Pi and a programmer.

I don't see a Z390 TB fw download on the GB site. Is it inside another package?

Some questions:
  • What is the make and model of your monitor?
  • Which type of connection are you using:
    • DP to DP
    • HDMI to HDMI
  • BenQ PD2700U
  • Mini DP to DP
@CaseySJ Any suggestions about this log-in artifact/delay ?

• BenQ PD2700U
  • Mini DP to DP
@CaseySJ Any suggestions about this log-in artifact/delay ?
The only thing I can suggest is to follow the procedure described in the post below:
This procedure calls for deleting the folder named com.apple.desktoppicture. Simply delete that folder and reboot. If the problem persists we may need to delete additional files/folders in that C directory.

The only thing I can suggest is to follow the procedure described in the post below:
This procedure calls for deleting the folder named com.apple.desktoppicture. Simply delete that folder and reboot. If the problem persists we may need to delete additional files/folders in that C directory.
I deleted the folder named com.apple.desktoppicture and nothing changed.
Do I also have to disable Trim because I use Samsung SSD NVMe 970 plus? Maybe it helps somehow?

I deleted the folder named com.apple.desktoppicture and nothing changed.
Do I also have to disable Trim because I use Samsung SSD NVMe 970 plus? Maybe it helps somehow?
With OpenCore 0.8.0 we can disable trim by setting it to 0 in Kernel section of config.plist.

From the video it’s not clear whether there is any delay after logging in. Also from the video it seems this is not a new or fresh installation, but an older one because of the large number of files on the desktop.

With OpenCore 0.8.0 we can disable trim by setting it to 0 in Kernel section of config.plist.

From the video it’s not clear whether there is any delay after logging in. Also from the video it seems this is not a new or fresh installation, but an older one because of the large number of files on the desktop.
I upload a new small clip to see again what happens after the log in password....black screen appears first then the desktop wallpaper flashes.
Don't mind the folders on the desktop. It is a fresh new install i put them there after the installation from a backup external disk.
The ssd trim helped a bit at the boot time but not at the log in delay (30sec with Trim On--15sec with Trim Off) Is it ok to leave trim off just for the 15sec sake or it makes the disk generally slower and should keep it on? 15sec more is not a dealbreaker.

Attachments

• IMG_1189.mov.zip
    11.9 MB · Views: 34
Back