Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

To be certain that freezes are gone, we need to use the system a little longer! But good to see that it's looking hopeful.

At OpenCore boot picker, press spacebar to reveal extra options then select Reset NVRAM from the far right. System will reboot automatically. When OpenCore boot picker appears again, press and hold CTRL key when selecting the macOS boot disk. This will make macOS the default boot option.

Please do the following:
  • Run IORegistryExplorer and select File --> Save As..., then post the saved file.
  • Copy the entire EFI folder to your Documents or Downloads folder, remove serial numbers from PlatformInfo --> DataHub section, then compress and post the zip file.
Here you go

Since i reset NVRAM, the freezes returned (or maybe it's me)

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    8.4 MB · Views: 48
  • iMac Pro.ioreg
    11.8 MB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Here you go

Since i reset NVRAM, the freezes returned (or maybe it's me)

Please try the attached EFI folder. It has been upgraded to OpenCore 0.8.0. However, first copy serial numbers back into PlatformInfo --> DataHub.

IOReg file shows that Thunderbolt is working (or seems to be). There's a Thunderbolt device connected to Thunderbolt Port 1 that has a number of USB ports.
Screen Shot 2022-05-01 at 3.19.21 PM.png

However, the Fenvi WiFi is not working properly. It's attached to RP04, but the device has not been initialized.
Screen Shot 2022-05-01 at 3.26.42 PM.png

This is what we should be seeing:
Screen Shot 2022-05-01 at 3.34.11 PM.png

I would suggest checking that the Fenvi FV-T919 is fully and properly seated in its slot. Also check that the 24-pin motherboard power cable is fully and securely seated. Try disconnecting and reconnecting the 24-pin motherboard power cable. Then double-check all other cables.

If that does not help, perform a CMOS Reset by following the procedure in manual. Immediately afterwards, configure all BIOS parameters again, starting with Load Optimized Defaults.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    8.4 MB · Views: 54
Last edited:

@CaseySJ

I got a new firmware file for the Z390 from Gigabyte which is supposed to be FW v67. I no longer use my z390's for Macs, but if you are interested I can send you a copy.

I have tried flashing under Windows 10/11 using the intel software, but it always fails. Am going to disassemble and try the Ch341a method.

@CaseySJ

I got a new firmware file for the Z390 from Gigabyte which is supposed to be FW v67. I no longer use my z390's for Macs, but if you are interested I can send you a copy.

I have tried flashing under Windows 10/11 using the intel software, but it always fails. Am going to disassemble and try the Ch341a method.
Hello @cdbrow1,

Welcome to the forum. You’re referring to Thunderbolt firmware NVM67? If so, yes please compress and post the zip. We can modify it to enable Thunderbolt bus and see how it behaves.

Please try the attached EFI folder. It has been upgraded to OpenCore 0.8.0. However, first copy serial numbers back into PlatformInfo --> DataHub.

IOReg file shows that Thunderbolt is working (or seems to be). There's a Thunderbolt device connected to Thunderbolt Port 1 that has a number of USB ports.
View attachment 546993
However, the Fenvi WiFi is not working properly. It's attached to RP04, but the device has not been initialized.
View attachment 546995
This is what we should be seeing:
View attachment 546996
I would suggest checking that the Fenvi FV-T919 is fully and properly seated in its slot. Also check that the 24-pin motherboard power cable is fully and securely seated. Try disconnecting and reconnecting the 24-pin motherboard power cable. Then double-check all other cables.

If that does not help, perform a CMOS Reset by following the procedure in manual. Immediately afterwards, configure all BIOS parameters again, starting with Load Optimized Defaults.

OK, I have done everything you suggested. No success...

After I reset CMOS, I tested voltage of CMOS-Battery. But it's OK, too...

The Thunderbolt-Hub is working under Mojave - so it must be OK....

Here is the new IORegistry-File:

Attachments

• iMac Pro.ioreg
    12 MB · Views: 28
Hello @cdbrow1,

Welcome to the forum. You’re referring to Thunderbolt firmware NVM67? If so, yes please compress and post the zip. We can modify it to enable Thunderbolt bus and see how it behaves.

Attached is the file they gave me. I have not been able to get the FW upgrade to work in Windows so I am going to try to CH341a method later in the week. I asked for a version that could support a CalDigit Element Hub (TB 3 and 4) which CalDigit said needed to be NVM 66 or higher. This is supposed to be NVM 67.

Attachments

• ThunderboltFWupdate.zip
    2 MB · Views: 56
I have an issue.
When I log in in the Monterey the desktop icons appear first with black background and a small loading animation in the center for 1-2 seconds and then it shows the default background image. Do you have in mind why it does that?
I use OC 0.80 Monterey 12.3.1

I have an issue.
When I log in in the Monterey the desktop icons appear first with black background and a small loading animation in the center for 1-2 seconds and then it shows the default background image. Do you have in mind why it does that?
I use OC 0.80 Monterey 12.3.1
  • When did the problem first appear?
  • How long was the system running properly without this problem?
  • When the problem first appeared, what changes were made to the system? Any new software installed around that time?

• When did the problem first appear?
  • How long was the system running properly without this problem?
  • When the problem first appeared, what changes were made to the system? Any new software installed around that time?
-I believe it is the way it booted from the begging. It is a fresh install after all.
It happens after I enter the account password for the first time. If I logout later and log in again everything is normal.

-The only programs I have installed are :
  • Opencore Configurator
  • Hackindrom
  • Adobe Creative Cloud
  • Adobe Lightroom
  • Brave Browser

OK, I have done everything you suggested. No success...

After I reset CMOS, I tested voltage of CMOS-Battery. But it's OK, too...

The Thunderbolt-Hub is working under Mojave - so it must be OK....

Here is the new IORegistry-File:
  • Your IOReg does not have AppleVTD, which means VT-d is not enabled in BIOS. Please enable VT-d.
  • Also in BIOS, set Thunderbolt --> Thunderbolt Boot Support --> to --> Boot Once
  • Modify config.plist as shown below by adding device-id to the Fenvi card.
  • Reboot after making these changes and let's have another look at the IOReg file.
Screen Shot 2022-05-02 at 4.09.32 AM.png

Back