Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I mounted the Install-USB-flashdisk, implemented my EFI into it and booted from it in OpenCore.

Then this happened: (Image below)

it's stuck
It may be necessary to disconnect all USB devices except keyboard and mouse. And disconnect everything from the two Thunderbolt ports on rear IO panel.

I have a 4TB backup HD in a cradle connected to a properly mapped port on my Z390. About 1 out of 4 times, when I switch it on it is recognized as a USB2 device on a USB2.1 hub(?!)

How can I make sure it is always recognized as a USB3 device? USB2 works, but is slow.

1651414667286.png

I want to update a running Catalina installation on a Designare Z390 to Monterey. Because I have a tripe boot system running, I prefer to keep my existing Clover installation yet instead of migrating to Open Core. In an instruction, I read about the quirks which are required in the clover configuration now to make Big Sur or Monterey bootable.

One of the required quirks is RebuildAppleMemoryMap. But if I try to boot any macOS while this is switched on, Clover exists immediately and the next UEFI boot entry is beeing started. This affects the existing Catalina installation as well as the Monterey installer. If I turn this off, the existing Catalina installation starts as usual while trying to start the Monterey installer results in a Kernel panic.

Has anybody an idea, why RebuildAppleMemoryMap fails in my case?

Installed Clover version is 5132. BIOS version is F9I, CPU is an i7-9700K.

Edit:
If I remove all boot entries except Clover, the bootloader starts again if I try to boot macOS while RebuildAppleMemoryMap is turned on but then, there aren't any systems shown which are placed on my NVME disks. macOS is installed on a NVME disk. For any reason, the NVME support gets lost if this quirk is activated after you try to start macOS in my case. But why?

Last edited:
It may be necessary to disconnect all USB devices except keyboard and mouse. And disconnect everything from the two Thunderbolt ports on rear IO panel.
there is only the Flash-Drive inserted (Sony 32Gb). The Header is also unplugged.

i swapped both, mouse and keyboard for another model. That brought my to the Installation screen.

But as soon as i don't move the Mouse cursor permanently, it will freeze and i have to restart the process.

On second bootup of the installation it freezes at 1/4 of Progress bar.

So close...

there is only the Flash-Drive inserted (Sony 32Gb). The Header is also unplugged.

i swapped both, mouse and keyboard for another model. That brought my to the Installation screen.

But as soon as i don't move the Mouse cursor permanently, it will freeze and i have to restart the process.

On second bootup of the installation it freezes at 1/4 of Progress bar.

So close...
Two suggestions:
  • At the OpenCore boot picker, press spacebar then select Reset NVRAM. Try the installation again. Does it still hang?
  • If it still hangs, perform a CMOS Reset by following the procedure in Designare user manual. It will be necessary to configure all BIOS parameters when the system reboots. Configure BIOS according to the guide in Post 1, starting with Load Optimized Defaults (from Save & Exit section). Then try installing Big Sur. Does it still hang?

Two suggestions:
  • At the OpenCore boot picker, press spacebar then select Reset NVRAM. Try the installation again. Does it still hang?
  • If it still hangs, perform a CMOS Reset by following the procedure in Designare user manual. It will be necessary to configure all BIOS parameters when the system reboots. Configure BIOS according to the guide in Post 1, starting with Load Optimized Defaults (from Save & Exit section). Then try installing Big Sur. Does it still hang?
It Worked with Reset NVRAM and 3 Restarts.
Thank you very much for your support! <3

Two suggestions:
After I boot Big Sur, it deactivates every USB-Port on the Machine. No input possible.
After every Restart, it waits 5 minute,s and they are gone... really sorry to take up so much of your time...

Last edited:
It's a bit weird... My Keyboard switches language when I need to put in password in Big Sur. but it dosen't in start-screen. So every time I reboot I can type in my password normally, but when Big Sur prompts for Password later, it switches Y and Z. Anyone had that problem?

It's a bit weird... My Keyboard switches language when I need to put in password in Big Sur. but it dosen't in start-screen. So every time I reboot I can type in my password normally, but when Big Sur prompts for Password later, it switches Y and Z. Anyone had that problem?
Try opening System Preferences --> Keyboard and then Change Keyboard Type:
Screen Shot 2022-05-01 at 10.58.55 AM.png

Try opening System Preferences --> Keyboard and then Change Keyboard Type:
View attachment 546971
I can't because I haven't USB ports functional one minute after boot :)

It seems that it's really buggy right now. Even BIOS is behaving funny. (every second restart creates black screen)

Back