Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Howdy, all. Recently updated to Monterey and OpenCore 0.7.7 on this system, and am having issues with Bluetooth losing connection with keyboard and mouse after wake. My WiFi/BT board is an older Broadcom board (BRCM20702) in a PCI adapter. Anyone else having these issues? Probably time for a hardware upgrade to something more recent but thought I would survey the room. (will add this started on 12.1, now running 12.3 beta)

Last edited:
You mean with the help of the mouse/keyboard PS2 port?
haha not that serial but connecting directly to the chip
Screenshot 2022-01-29 at 22.28.21.png

@CaseySJ A few other questions popped into my mind:

1: you said the framebuffer patch isn't necessary anymore. But we'd still have to define the ports, right? Say, for example HDMI?

2: I saw in your EFI a file, SSDT-DMAC.aml. I was under the impression DMA was no real deal, or at least not usable, or feasible under OS X? Could you elaborate? Where did you get that? Where did you get the idea?

3. I noticed I'm incorporating an SSDT for SMBus, but you don't. Why?

4. Any recent and reliable hardware for WiFi 6 and BT5?

And I think there was a 5th question, but I've forgotten :D I'll poke you again, if it pops into my mind, 'd that be OK? :)

I'm currently running my Z390 Designare with OpenCore 0.7.7 and the latest macOS Monterey 12.2 update. Everything running smooth, with no issues at all.

System is using the F9i BIOS modified by @Elias64Fr (thanks, mate!)

I compared it with the official F9i BIOS that Gigabyte removed from their website, and I saw the 4 microcodes entries, on the left the official F9i dated April 23, 2020 and on the right F9i from Elias64Fr, updated to Jan 05, 2021

Captura de pantalla 2022-01-30 a las 10.22.04.png

I've also compared the new official F9 BIOS file from Gigabyte dated November 29, 2021 with the one from Elias64Fr and the 4 microcode entries are identical, so regarding microcode patches, they are the same.

Captura de pantalla 2022-01-30 a las 10.27.03.png

But running from Windows the Intel Converged Security and Management Engine Version Detection Tool, the program reports that my system is vulnerable, so maybe there are more security fixes unreleased from Gigabyte.

Captura de pantalla 2022-01-29 112823.png

I've tried to run the Linux version of the CSME Detection Tool in macOS, but it gives me an error and the Intel documentation states that "The Detection Tool does not support MacOS".

The documentation also remarks that the following security issues are checked by the Tool.

• SA-00086 • SA-00125 • SA-00213 • SA-00241 • SA-00295 • SA-00404 • SA-00391 • SA-00459

And I'm wondering how well protected we are from this vulnerabilities.

Comments welcomed.

Last edited:
@CaseySJ quick question my friend. Is there any guide on how to downgrade BIOS flashing the chip method? I don’t know if you understand where I'm going. (From F9 to F9i) xD

I just updated to Monterey 12.2 in my hackintosh build, and I cant use built in AirPlay option. I gave another MacBook Pro running 12.2, and then I’m able to use AirPlay and can see Macbook in my iPhone.

The documentation also remarks that the following security issues are checked by the Tool.

• SA-00086 • SA-00125 • SA-00213 • SA-00241 • SA-00295 • SA-00404 • SA-00391 • SA-00459

And I'm wondering how well protected we are from this vulnerabilities.

Comments welcomed.
The latest capsule BIOS from Gigabyte (F9) contains patches several vulnerabilities, but this version is not officially downgradable. USB-C devices will not work on Thunderbolt ports, but they will work on a front-panel USB-C port.

BIOS F9i (with Elias' modifications) does not contain all of the security fixes that went into F9.

I just updated to Monterey 12.2 in my hackintosh build, and I cant use built in AirPlay option. I gave another MacBook Pro running 12.2, and then I’m able to use AirPlay and can see Macbook in my iPhone.
Are Bluetooth and WiFi working?

Howdy, all. Recently updated to Monterey and OpenCore 0.7.7 on this system, and am having issues with Bluetooth losing connection with keyboard and mouse after wake. My WiFi/BT board is an older Broadcom board (BRCM20702) in a PCI adapter. Anyone else having these issues? Probably time for a hardware upgrade to something more recent but thought I would survey the room. (will add this started on 12.1, now running 12.3 beta)

If Bluetooth is misbehaving, please try disabling all three of these kexts in config.plist --> Kernel section and reboot:
  • BlueToolFixup.kext
  • BrcmFirmwareData.kext
  • BrcmPatchRAM3.kext

Last edited:
@CaseySJ A few other questions popped into my mind:

1: you said the framebuffer patch isn't necessary anymore. But we'd still have to define the ports, right? Say, for example HDMI?
The frame buffer patch is always needed for on-board HDMI. If we want to use only the on-board DisplayPort outputs (via Thunderbolt ports) then frame buffer patch has never been needed. However, platform ID must be changed to 0x3E9B0007 to enable any kind of video output from any rear video port.

2: I saw in your EFI a file, SSDT-DMAC.aml. I was under the impression DMA was no real deal, or at least not usable, or feasible under OS X? Could you elaborate? Where did you get that? Where did you get the idea?
Please see this spoiler in Post 1:

Screen Shot 2022-01-30 at 6.55.56 AM.png

3. I noticed I'm incorporating an SSDT for SMBus, but you don't. Why?
Have you noticed any benefits from injecting the SSDT for SMBus?

4. Any recent and reliable hardware for WiFi 6 and BT5?
We're hoping the OpenIntelWireless driver eventually supports WiFi 6. On the other hand, if Apple introduces one last Intel-based Mac Pro refresh, it just might come with native support for Broadcom based WiFi 6, Bluetooth 5.x, and Maple Ridge (Thunderbolt 4).

@CaseySJ quick question my friend. Is there any guide on how to downgrade BIOS flashing the chip method? I don’t know if you understand where I'm going. (From F9 to F9i) xD
To quote The Mandalorian, "This is the way..." :)
  1. First make a note of the MAC addresses of both Ethernet ports
  2. We need an external CH341a SPI ROM reader/writer like the one we use to flash Thunderbolt firmware
  3. We use the CH341a to directly read BIOS chip on motherboard
  4. We save the file to disk (we will need it below)
  5. We open the Gigabyte BIOS file that we want to flash (F9i in your case) using HexEdit
  6. We open the file we saved in Step 4 also using HexEdit
  7. From this file (from Step 4) we copy all bytes in the range 0x1000 to 0x2FFF to clip board
  8. Then we paste these bytes into the same region of the Gigabyte BIOS file (from Step 5)
  9. We save the modified Gigabyte BIOS file (F9i - modified)
  10. We use the same CH341a to flash the modified F9i back to the BIOS chip on motherboard
  11. Finally, we reboot the system, perform Reset NVRAM, go to BIOS Setup, confirm that the MAC Addresses for both Ethernet ports match those from Step 1, then configure BIOS parameters
Not for the faint of heart...

Back