Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

At OpenCore Picker, press and release CMD-V to enable verbose logs. Then select the macOS disk.

Also look at the bottom right corner of OpenCore Picker window. You will see the current OpenCore version string: REL-xxx-Date
I did CMD-V but nothing happened. It just booted and then rebooted to OC. There wasn't anything in the corner :/

BIOS F9g or F9i are recommended. All BIOS settings are in Post 1, in the BIOS Configuration spoiler.

Simply post screenshots of:
  • OpenCore Configurator —> ACPI —> Add
  • OpenCore Configurator —> ACPI —> Delete
  • OpenCore Configurator —> Kernel —> Add
Here the pictures of how everything is looking. Also I update the bios to f9j and setup the bios as post 1. Also upload the config.plist exactly how I got right now.

Attachments

• tempImagefwMeBt.png
    tempImagefwMeBt.png
    25.3 MB · Views: 49
  • tempImagePhrEHe.png
    tempImagePhrEHe.png
    17.9 MB · Views: 49
  • tempImage8eE1kw.png
    tempImage8eE1kw.png
    20.8 MB · Views: 49
  • IMG_6074.jpg
    IMG_6074.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_6075.jpg
    IMG_6075.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 47
  • config.plist
    30.8 KB · Views: 30
I did CMD-V but nothing happened. It just booted and then rebooted to OC. There wasn't anything in the corner :/
Ah, this means it’s an old version of OpenCore. The best thing would be to download the 0.7.6 EFI folder from this thread, rename “config-AMD-GPU.plist” to “config.plist” and transfer serial numbers into “PlatformInfo —> DataHub”.

Then copy the EFI folder to EFI partition of a USB flash disk and boot from the USB flash disk.

Once my computer finishes 12.2 beta 2 install, I can provide a link that provides details if you need them.

Ah, this means it’s an old version of OpenCore. The best thing would be to download the 0.7.6 EFI folder from this thread, rename “config-AMD-GPU.plist” to “config.plist” and transfer serial numbers into “PlatformInfo —> DataHub”.

Then copy the EFI folder to EFI partition of a USB flash disk and boot from the USB flash disk.

Once my computer finishes 12.2 beta 2 install, I can provide a link that provides details if you need them.
Thats so weird because I got OC 0.7.6 from https://github.com/acidanthera/OpenCorePkg/releases/tag/0.7.6 but I will try the one attached to this thread.

When you say boot from he USB flash, should the flash drive have the Monterey installer on it?

Thats so weird because I got OC 0.7.6 from https://github.com/acidanthera/OpenCorePkg/releases/tag/0.7.6 but I will try the one attached to this thread.

When you say boot from he USB flash, should the flash drive have the Monterey installer on it?

Okay, just finished 12.2 beta 2 upgrade...
  • Here's a link to the OpenCore 0.7.6 EFI folder for this system. Simply download the file called OC-076-DESIGNARE-Z390.zip
  • Then follow these instructions to configure the EFI folder. These instructions are for 0.7.5, but apply to 0.7.6 as well.
To boot from the USB flash disk it is not necessary to have Monterey installer on it. We only need to copy the configured EFI folder to the EFI partition of the USB flash disk. Then press F12 at Gigabyte Splash Screen to open the BIOS boot menu and select the USB disk.

At the OpenCore Picker, check the bottom right corner for the release version. Then select the macOS boot disk. Once existing macOS has booted up we can take the next step.

Please use OpenCore Configurator 2.55.0.0 and ensure that the title bar says 0.7.6 Release Configuration as shown:
Screen Shot 2022-01-12 at 6.07.39 PM.png

Here the pictures of how everything is looking. Also I update the bios to f9j and setup the bios as post 1. Also upload the config.plist exactly how I got right now.
There are 2 problems:
  • In the first screenshot (ACPI --> Add) we cannot enable both Thunderbolt SSDTs at the same time. Simply disable (uncheck) the very last SSDT in the list (SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-TB3HP-V4.aml).
  • In the second screenshot (ACPI --> Delete) there is no entry for deleting the existing DMAR table. If we don't delete the original DMAR table, Ethernet and WiFi will not work. To fix this, we must add the following entry in ACPI --> Delete section:
Screen Shot 2021-09-15 at 9.56.52 AM.png

P.S. To capture screenshots, simply press SHIFT-CMD-5 and move the mouse over the window to be captured (or drag rectangle over the region). Screenshot will be saved on Desktop.

• Here's a link to the OpenCore 0.7.6 EFI folder for this system. Simply download the file called OC-076-DESIGNARE-Z390.zip
  • Then follow these instructions to configure the EFI folder. These instructions are for 0.7.5, but apply to 0.7.6 as well.
To boot from the USB flash disk it is not necessary to have Monterey installer on it. We only need to copy the configured EFI folder to the EFI partition of the USB flash disk. Then press F12 at Gigabyte Splash Screen to open the BIOS boot menu and select the USB disk.

At the OpenCore Picker, check the bottom right corner for the release version. Then select the macOS boot disk. Once existing macOS has booted up we can take the next step.

Please use OpenCore Configurator 2.55.0.0 and ensure that the title bar says 0.7.6 Release Configuration as shown:
View attachment 539118
Thank you so much! I keep getting an error when I try to mount the EFI portion of the flash drive. It says no EFI exists and exits out.

Edit 1: Tried a different usb drive and I was able to mount an efi

@CaseySJThanks your support

This USB-C not working problem is serious for those who upgrade, as there is no way to go back.

I have a doubt about this, because I have two OWC, Thunderbolt and they are connected to the USB-C port with Apple adapter, if I update to F9 I won't be able to access these drives at all?

Or would it be possible somehow?

Thanks.
If they are really Thunderbolt drives/enclosures (and I believe they are)and not USB 3.1 gen2 with USB-C connector, they’ll be recognized on the two TB3 ports.

As an example, I have two Samsung external SSD’s (T5 and T7) and, in this case, they wouldn’t mount as they are USB 3.1 gen2 drives (10 Gb/s) and not Thunderbolt 3.

USB-C thingy is confusing because it’s not the protocol, it’s the connector format. My Roland midi controller (A88 MKII) has an USB-C connector but it negotiates at USB 1.1 speed (verified in « About this Mac »).

View attachment 539118
Ok I did everything. and it loaded just fine using the efi on the USB. However, when I copied the EFI from the USB to my boot drive, OC reverted back to 0.6.3

Ok I did everything. and it loaded just fine using the efi on the USB. However, when I copied the EFI from the USB to my boot drive, OC reverted back to 0.6.3
If the bottom right corner of OpenCore Boot Picker shows 0.7.6 then that’s the version running. If the bottom right corner shows a different version or no version at all then you’re booting macOS from the wrong SSD. In that case go to BIOS Setup and change the boot priority order from Boot section.

Also: when you copied EFI from USB to internal SSD, did you copy it into the EFI partition of the internal SSD?

Back