Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

It's always advisable to manually verify config.plist settings. With OpenCore 0.7.4 we should verify the following:
  1. ACPI --> Add --> SSDT-DMAR.aml --> Checked on
  2. ACPI --> Delete --> DMAR --> Checked on
  3. Kernel --> CustomSMBIOSGuid --> Enabled
  4. PlatformInfo --> UpdateSMBIOSMode --> Custom
  5. PlatformInfo --> DataHub --> AdviseFeatures --> Enabled
  6. BIOS --> VT-d --> Enabled
P.S. Always have a bootable backup of macOS.
Happy holidays! I've only now had a chance to go over these settings and have some questions:
  1. ACPI --> Add --> SSDT-DMAR.aml --> Checked on --> DONE.
  2. ACPI --> Delete --> DMAR --> Checked on --> DONE. Using this article.
  3. Kernel --> CustomSMBIOSGuid --> Enabled --> Disabled by default, just checked it on. What does this do?
  4. PlatformInfo --> UpdateSMBIOSMode --> Custom --> Set to "Create" by default. I just changed it to Custom. What does this do?
  5. PlatformInfo --> DataHub --> AdviseFeatures --> Enabled --> Disabled by default, just checked it on. What does this do?
  6. BIOS --> VT-d --> Enabled --> DONE. This was enabled during my transition from Clover to OC. :)
This is for OC setup to boot into windows on a separate SSD that's internally attached to one of the SATA headers on the Z390.

Any help/insight is much appreciated!

EDIT: I've successfully booted into windows after following all the steps using the BIOS boot manager (not the OC booter). Is there anything I should know about letting Windows update itself? Something to look out for?

Last edited:
Hi @CaseySJ how's it been mate? Long time! It's been more than a year since I last visited here since I've had the most stable Z390 Xtreme EFI with Catalina for sometime now. Now, since it's the New Year, I'm planning to upgrade Big Sur/Monterey. Just wanted to ask help from my fellow Xtreme users @ummario and @Lukey1979 if it's okay to see your current latest EFI's. Just want to speed track my research on what might work for my upgrade. Planning to start with OC 0.7.4 since I've read the @Lukey1979 had trouble getting LAN to work .7.5. Hope to hear from you mates. Thanks in advance!

Happy holidays! I've only now had a chance to go over these settings and have some questions:
  1. ACPI --> Add --> SSDT-DMAR.aml --> Checked on --> DONE.
  2. ACPI --> Delete --> DMAR --> Checked on --> DONE. Using this article.
  3. Kernel --> CustomSMBIOSGuid --> Enabled --> Disabled by default, just checked it on. What does this do?
  4. PlatformInfo --> UpdateSMBIOSMode --> Custom --> Set to "Create" by default. I just changed it to Custom. What does this do?
  5. PlatformInfo --> DataHub --> AdviseFeatures --> Enabled --> Disabled by default, just checked it on. What does this do?
  6. BIOS --> VT-d --> Enabled --> DONE. This was enabled during my transition from Clover to OC. :)
This is for OC setup to boot into windows on a separate SSD that's internally attached to one of the SATA headers on the Z390.

Any help/insight is much appreciated!

EDIT: I've successfully booted into windows after following all the steps using the BIOS boot manager (not the OC booter). Is there anything I should know about letting Windows update itself? Something to look out for?
Items 3, 4, and 5 allow Windows to use the computer name specified within Windows itself. Otherwise OpenCore will generate a new name.

Regarding booting Windows through OpenCore, please see the first section of either the OpenCore 0.7.5 or 0.7.6 mini-guide in this thread. It provides a link to a post that describes how to disable AppleVTD. That, in turn, solves this problem for most people.

I should add that I have Windows installed on all of my Intel-based Hackintosh systems and have not experienced this problem. It does not affect everyone.

Items 3, 4, and 5 allow Windows to use the computer name specified within Windows itself. Otherwise OpenCore will generate a new name.

Regarding booting Windows through OpenCore, please see the first section of either the OpenCore 0.7.5 or 0.7.6 mini-guide in this thread. It provides a link to a post that describes how to disable AppleVTD. That, in turn, solves this problem for most people.

I should add that I have Windows installed on all of my Intel-based Hackintosh systems and have not experienced this problem. It does not affect everyone.

Interesting, thank you for the information. I enjoy learning about this stuff as I customize my rig even further. I don't mind booting Windows from the BIOS manager, at least it works. In any case, everything is working great so far!

Anyone update to the latest BIOS. Could you post your results with latest OC?

I second. Anyone had tested the new BIOS? Something I don’t like however:
« Introduce capsule BIOS support starting this version.
Customers will NOT be able to reverse to previous BIOS version due to major vulnerabilities concerns. »

@canyondust installed a similar capsule BIOS on his Z490 Vision G with no negative consequences for macOS. It's been several days now, and still running okay.

However, I have not seen anyone do this on Z390 Designare. Because I have two of these systems -- one of which is a test bench -- I am willing to try the capsule BIOS in about 2 weeks.
Happy New Year everyone!

As promised, I've installed BIOS F9 (capsule BIOS) on my Z390 Designare and found no issues so far. Some notes:
  • Once this BIOS is installed, we cannot install any previous BIOS.
  • Sleep, wake, restart, shutdown all work under macOS Monterey.
  • USB-C devices do not hot-plug on Thunderbolt ports.
Screen Shot 2022-01-01 at 1.35.49 PM.png

Last edited:
Happy New Year everyone!

As promised, I've installed BIOS F9 (capsule BIOS) on my Z390 Designare and found no issues so far. Some notes:
  • Once this BIOS is installed, we cannot install any previous BIOS.
  • Sleep, wake, restart, shutdown all work under macOS Monterey.
  • USB-C devices do not hot-plug on Thunderbolt ports.
When you say « USB-C devices do not hot-plug on Thunderbolt ports », you mean they are working when you plug them once booted or missing completely like on f9j? If they work not hot-plugged, I think the behavior was the same with old working USB-C on TB3 Bios versions if I recall correctly…

Thanks for the report BTW.

**and Happy New Year to you too…

Last edited:
While most folks have flashed the controller successfully, there have been a few accidents that have left the board permanently damaged. These accidents all had one thing in common:
  • When attaching or detaching the 8-pin SOIC clip to the Winbond chip, a nearby surface mount device was accidentally dislodged.
  • To avoid this problem, the following guidelines are absolutely and unequivocally critical:
    • You must have excellent near-sightedness.
      • If you wear corrective lenses to see distant objects, remove those lenses and use your natural near-sightedness.
      • If you are far sighted and need corrective lenses to view nearby objects, determine whether you can see objects clearly when they are only 2 inches away from your eyes. If you cannot do this, please enlist the help of someone who can.
    • When attaching and detaching the spring-loaded 8-pin SOIC clip to the Winbond chip, use very steady hands and gentle motions. Position the clip directly over the chip and move it up-and-down over the chip. Never move it side-to-side otherwise nearby components can be hit and dislodged.

Yes it can certainly be undone. We first extract three copies of the original firmware, compare their checksums and then flash the modified version. We can flash any of the three copies of the original firmware back to the chip at any time.
Hi Casey,

I know this is an rather old reply ;) I decided to skip Big Sur and try my luck with Monterey.
I did a clean install of Monterey 12.1 with OC 0.7.6, installed the latest MOTU drivers for my MOTU 16A (drivers are supported for Monterey) but I still have the same issue as I had in the beginning of 2021, the device is not recognised.

I still have a good stable system on Catalina and don't want to mess that up and feel slightly anxious about bricking it by flashing the TB firmware... Have there been any new developments? Any suggestions on what I could try to make it work? Haven't really followed along last year.

EDIT:

After watching this video on how the procedure works, I think I might take the plunge and try it.

https://youtu.be/4C9K52dG5Bw

I’ve ordered an SOIC8 clip and just wanted to verify what needs to be done before I start.
I don’t have an add-in thunderbolt card, so I want to flash the Winbond chip on the back of the z390 designare motherboard. Do I take this firmware?

https://www.tonymacx86.com/attachments/designare-z390-nvm33-elias64fr-bin-zip.455744/

And then use Option 1 from this post to generate the ssdt?

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...olt-3-i7-9700k-amd-rx-580.316533/post-2086547
  • Give the file an appropriate name such as: SSDT-TB3-DROM-HOTPLUG.aml.
    • Any name is okay as long as it begins with SSDT-
  • However, download SSDT-DTPG.aml from the bottom of this guide.
  • Both SSDT files must be copied to the CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder (for CLOVER users) or OC/ACPI folder (for OpenCore users).
I don’t fully understand the “however” part… Do I?:

• flash the firmware
  • go here: https://hackindrom.zapto.org
  • Create the SSDT-TB3-DROM-HOTPLUG.aml
  • Download the SSDT-DTPG.aml
  • Put both files in OC/ACPI
Is that it? Then it should/could work?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-01-02 at 08.18.55.png
    Screenshot 2022-01-02 at 08.18.55.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Hi Casey,

I know this is an rather old reply ;) I decided to skip Big Sur and try my luck with Monterey.
I did a clean install of Monterey 12.1 with OC 0.7.6, installed the latest MOTU drivers for my MOTU 16A (drivers are supported for Monterey) but I still have the same issue as I had in the beginning of 2021, the device is not recognised.

I still have a good stable system on Catalina and don't want to mess that up and feel slightly anxious about bricking it by flashing the TB firmware... Have there been any new developments? Any suggestions on what I could try to make it work? Haven't really followed along last year.

Hello @synnys,

MOTU devices haven't given us much of a problem. Some questions before you consider flashing the firmware:
  • Is the MOTU failing to connect in Catalina, in Monterey, or both?
  • Have you tried enabling AppleVTD?
  • Have you tried setting BIOS --> Thunderbolt --> Thunderbolt Boot Support to Boot Once? Then reboot with MOTU already connected prior to macOS startup.
  • Which version of BIOS is installed on your Z390 Designare?

Hello @synnys,

MOTU devices haven't given us much of a problem. Some questions before you consider flashing the firmware:
  • Is the MOTU failing to connect in Catalina, in Monterey, or both?
  • Have you tried enabling AppleVTD?
  • Have you tried setting BIOS --> Thunderbolt --> Thunderbolt Boot Support to Boot Once? Then reboot with MOTU already connected prior to macOS startup.
  • Which version of BIOS is installed on your Z390 Designare?
Hi Casey,

It works fine in Catalina (even hot swappable through the Apple TB2->TB3 dongle), and has worked fine in all OS'es leading up to Catalina. Big Sur messed things up and didn't work for me, and neither does Monterey.

I just tried enabling AppleVTD according to these instructions:

Steps:

• BIOS --> Enable VT-d
  • OpenCore --> Uncheck DisableIoMapper from Kernel Quirks
  • OpenCore --> Remove dart=0 from boot-args if it exists
  • OpenCore --> Add SSDT-DMAR.aml (attached) to ACPI --> Add section as shown
  • OpenCore --> Delete DMAR from ACPI --> Delete section as shown
  • Reboot

I also set Thunderbolt Boot Support to Boot Once and I'm running F9i as a BIOS version.
Also tried Thunderbolt VTd base security (both enabled and disabled)
Makes no difference unfortunately.

Cheers

When you say « USB-C devices do not hot-plug on Thunderbolt ports », you mean they are working when you plug them once booted or missing completely like on f9j? If they work not hot-plugged, I think the behavior was the same with old working USB-C on TB3 Bios versions if I recall correctly…
Correct. USB-C devices simply do not work on the two Thunderbolt ports, but they will work if connected via a Thunderbolt dock.

Back