Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I have been getting these kernel panics while booting once in a while. I think it started after upgrading to Big Sur. Anyone know what this is about:

See where it says Kernel extensions in backtrace: com.apple.iokit.IOHIDFamily. HID refers to Human Interface Device. Some questions/suggestions:
  • Each time you experience this kernel panic, does it always occur in IOHIDFamily? Or does it occur in all sorts of different kernel extensions?
  • If it consistently occurs in IOHIDFamily, try disconnecting all keyboards, mice, stylus, and other interface devices. If possible, connect only a wired USB keyboard/mouse.
  • Some drivers and applications may not be compatible with Big Sur. Check /Library/Extensions folder for a list of all third-party drivers. Feel free to post a screenshot of the directory.
  • Also check whether Kernel quirk XhciPortLimit is enabled or disabled. If it's enabled, try disabling it and using the 15-port USB port map SSDT (the default SSDT-UIAC-Z390-DESIGNARE-V7.aml is limited to 15 ports).
  • In the worst case it may be necessary to apply a more exhaustive process of elimination, but simpler approaches can be attempted first.

See where it says Kernel extensions in backtrace: com.apple.iokit.IOHIDFamily. HID refers to Human Interface Device. Some questions/suggestions:
  • Each time you experience this kernel panic, does it always occur in IOHIDFamily? Or does it occur in all sorts of different kernel extensions?
  • If it consistently occurs in IOHIDFamily, try disconnecting all keyboards, mice, stylus, and other interface devices. If possible, connect only a wired USB keyboard/mouse.
  • Some drivers and applications may not be compatible with Big Sur. Check /Library/Extensions folder for a list of all third-party drivers. Feel free to post a screenshot of the directory.
  • Also check whether Kernel quirk XhciPortLimit is enabled or disabled. If it's enabled, try disabling it and using the 15-port USB port map SSDT (the default SSDT-UIAC-Z390-DESIGNARE-V7.aml is limited to 15 ports).
  • In the worst case it may be necessary to apply a more exhaustive process of elimination, but simpler approaches can be attempted first.
Thanks for your prompt reply!
Always in IOHIDFamily indeed. XhciPortLimit is false.Not using SSDT-UIAC-Z390-DESIGNARE-V7.aml. I have USBports.kext. Is that not enough?

Here is my list of kexts:

AppleMobileDevice.kext
AppleRTL815XComposite109.kext
AppleRTL815XEthernet109.kext
AuthenticationSupport.plugin
AuthenticationSupportEnabler.plugin
DolbyAudioBridge.kext
Dropbox.kext
DuetDisplay.kext
EnergyDriver.kext
EPSONUSBPrintClass.kext
FirefaceAudioDriver.kext
FocusritePCIe.kext
FocusriteRedNetPCIe.kext
FTDIKext.kext
FTDIUSBSerialDriver.kext
HighPointIOP.kext
HighPointRR.kext
HoRNDIS.kext
hp_io_enabler_compound.kext
Lynx.kext
MHLinkDriver.kext
MobileIODriver_10_9.kext
MOTUProAudio.kext
SiLabsUSBDriver64.kext
SoftRAID.kext
UAD2System.kext

I have a bunch of drivers for (music) keyboards, a Wacom tablet etc. I will check if everything is up-to-date.

Thanks for your prompt reply!
Always in IOHIDFamily indeed. XhciPortLimit is false.Not using SSDT-UIAC-Z390-DESIGNARE-V7.aml. I have USBports.kext. Is that not enough?

Here is my list of kexts:

AppleMobileDevice.kext
AppleRTL815XComposite109.kext
AppleRTL815XEthernet109.kext
AuthenticationSupport.plugin
AuthenticationSupportEnabler.plugin
DolbyAudioBridge.kext
Dropbox.kext
DuetDisplay.kext
EnergyDriver.kext
EPSONUSBPrintClass.kext
FirefaceAudioDriver.kext
FocusritePCIe.kext
FocusriteRedNetPCIe.kext
FTDIKext.kext
FTDIUSBSerialDriver.kext
HighPointIOP.kext
HighPointRR.kext
HoRNDIS.kext
hp_io_enabler_compound.kext64.
Lynx.kext
MHLinkDriver.kext
MobileIODriver_10_9.kext
MOTUProAudio.kext
SiLabsUSBDriver64.kext
SoftRAID.kext
UAD2System.kext

I have a bunch of drivers for (music) keyboards, a Wacom tablet etc. I will check if everything is up-to-date.
The following drivers seem more suspicious than the others:
  • SiLabsUSBDriver64.kext : I would recommend removing this by running an uninstaller script that might have accompanied the driver. If no such script is found, the driver can be manually deleted from Terminal:
Bash:
cd /Library/Extensions
sudo rm -rf SiLabsUSBDriver64.kext
sudo touch /Library/Extensions
  • Also update all audio interface drivers, including:
    • Fireface
    • Focusrite
    • MOTU
    • UAD
  • Then check if this one is really needed:
    • hp_io_enabler_compound.kext64.

• SiLabsUSBDriver64.kext : I would recommend removing this by running an uninstaller script that might have accompanied the driver. If no such script is found, the driver can be manually deleted from Terminal:

@CaseySJ

One of the uses of this driver is to communicate with weather station consoles. I use it with a NUC7 hackintosh that runs 24 x 7 sending weather data to the internet.

@CaseySJ

One of the uses of this driver is to communicate with weather station consoles. I use it with a NUC7 hackintosh that runs 24 x 7 sending weather data to the internet.
Couple of questions:
  • Which version of the driver are you using?
  • Is your NUC7 running Monterey?

Couple of questions:
  • Which version of the driver are you using?
  • Is your NUC7 running Monterey?
@CaseySJ

Sorry, I'm away from home for Christmas without access to the NUC7. I believe it's running Catalina, and the driver was the latest as of about 6 months ago.

Enjoy your holiday!

Bash:
cd /Library/Extensions
sudo rm -rf SiLabsUSBDriver64.kext
sudo touch /Library/Extensions
  • Also update all audio interface drivers, including:
    • Fireface
    • Focusrite
    • MOTU
    • UAD
  • Then check if this one is really needed:
    • hp_io_enabler_compound.kext64.
Thanks for getting back to me!

The SiLabs, I think I used that to program a BeagleBoard. I can get rid of it.

On the other hand, will these .kexts do any harm if they are not used? AFAIK(according to kexstat) the Focusrite kext is the only active one, it's a PCIe card driver. Nothing to do with hid, I presume.

UAD is mandatory, and definitely the latest version. The other .kexts are for audio interfaces I use every now and then.

No idea what hp_io is for. No hp stuff in the house, except for my son's laptop. Will get rid of it(the kext, not the laptop)

Thanks again for the help, and Merry Christmas.

@CaseySJ
Finally starting my upgrade journey to Monterey.

I have updated my Designare BIOS to F9i (from F9b) and it still boots into Mojave fine with Clover (5119)

I created a USB drive with your preconfigured OpenCore 0.7.6 and added the required fields with OpenCore Configurator (looked at config.plist and values are there)

When I select the USB drive using F12 I see the OC GUI and select my Mojave drive
  • I see the Apple logo but no progress bar
  • Get an immediate reboot
  • Select USB with F12 again
  • No OC GUI, straight to Apple logo and progress bar but slower than with Clover
  • When progress reaches about 80% the logo and bar disappear, the second of my three monitors wakes up but nothing else happens.
  • SSH fails so it's not just a graphics issue.
Any thoughts on next troubleshooting steps? I've tried with and without kexts in /Library/Extensions with the same results.

Merry Christmas and thanks again!

@CaseySJ

I have updated my Designare BIOS to F9i (from F9b) and it still boots into Mojave fine with Clover (5119)

I created a USB drive with your preconfigured OpenCore 0.7.6 and added the required fields with OpenCore Configurator (looked at config.plist and values are there)

When I select the USB drive using F12 I see the OC GUI and select my Mojave drive
  • No OC GUI, straight to Apple logo and progress bar but slower than with Clover
  • When progress reaches about 80% the logo and bar disappear, the second of my three monitors wakes up but nothing else happens.
Any thoughts on next troubleshooting steps? I've tried with and without kexts in /Library/Extensions with the same results.

My first step would be open the config.plist and add a -v to the boot-args so you get to see where it fails, not some fancy graphics that tell you nothing. Second step would be to clone the install to another drive and then boot into it and follow the Clover to OC guide as I see no mention of it being done, use the clone until certain you have it completely working. This guide gets rid of the leftovers from Clover that may interfere. Third, a NVRAM reset in the OC boot menu should be used to make certain nothing of that remains. Lastly, post the screen shot of the failure point.

@CaseySJ

Hello @Tea-Bone

Merry Christmas! Let’s see if we can melt your troubles away. :)

At OpenCore boot picker, press and release CMD-V to enable verbose mode. Then see where boot process gets stuck.

Also confirm that “SecureBootModel” is disabled. And check that all required PlatformInfo —> DataHub fields are populated.

Back