2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
** OpenCore 0.7.6 EFI for Z390 Designare **
Supports Mojave, Catalina, Big Sur, and Monterey
Please do not quote this post in its entirely. Use a link instead.

Also available from HackinDROM

** NOTE **
Mojave and Catalina Users: Please see "Post-Update Procedure" below.

Please use OpenCore Configurator 2.54.0.0 or 2.54.0.1 and ensure that it's set to
0.7.6 Development Configuration or 0.7.6 Release Version

When using OpenCore Configurator, ensure that only one EFI partition is mounted​

Windows Users:
If you are unable to boot Windows through OpenCore, try disabling AppleVTD by following the bottom half of this post.

Monterey -- What Does Not Work:
  • Intel I-211 Ethernet port driven by SmallTreeIntel82576 is not working at this time. The other Ethernet port (I-219) is fully operational. If a second Ethernet port is needed, options include:
    • USB to Gigabit Ethernet adapter
    • USB to 2.5GbE Ethernet adapter
    • USB-C dock with built-in Ethernet port
    • Thunderbolt dock with built-in Ethernet port
    • Apple Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet adapter (requires AppleVTD to be enabled)
  • Laird BT851 Bluetooth 5.0 USB dongle not working at this time.
  • If Monterey is installed on Samsung NVMe SSDs, boot time can increase by 60-100 seconds due to "trim" incompatibilty.
    • This can be addressed by cloning the Samsung NVMe SSD to another disk, erasing the Samsung NVMe SSD with Disk Utility, and cloning macOS back. Please be careful with this process if you decide to do it.
  • Crucial P2 NVMe SSDs (only P2 series) also suffer from trim issues in Monterey.

This Update Includes:
  • OpenCore 0.7.6
  • VirtualSMC 1.2.8
  • AppleALC 1.6.7
  • Lilu 1.5.8
  • OpenIntelWireless ZIP:
    • IntelBluetoothFirmware 2.0.1
    • IntelBluetoothInjector 2.0.1 (not used in Monterey)
Instructions:
  • Download appropriate ZIP file below and follow these instructions to configure config.plist.
  • If "Resizable BAR Support" is enabled in BIOS, set ResizableAppleGpuBars to 0 in Booter quirks.
  • Copy EFI folder to EFI partition of USB flash disk and boot from USB flash disk.
  • Ensure that REL-076-xxx appears on bottom right corner of OpenCanopy Picker.
  • If everything is okay, mount the EFI partition of USB flash disk and internal macOS SSD, then copy EFI folder from USB flash disk to internal macOS SSD.
Things to Test or Check:
  • Any OCS or other warnings before OpenCore picker appears?​
  • Does macOS boot properly?​
  • Does Bluetooth work? Can you enable and disable Bluetooth?​
  • Does Bluetooth work if you (a) boot into Windows and then (b) boot into macOS without doing a cold start?​
  • If you use "Resizable BAR Support" in Windows, try enabling that in BIOS and check if macOS boots properly.​

Catalina Users:
  • Set SecureBootModel to Disabled.
    Screen Shot 2021-12-06 at 11.54.57 AM.png
Which File to Download:
  • Broadcom WiFi/BT (such as Fenvi FV-T919) --> OC-076-DESIGNARE-Z390.zip
  • Intel WiFi/BT --> OC-076-DESIGNARE-Z390-INTEL-WIRELESS.zip
Reminder:
  • Radeon VII and Vega 56/64 users must disable or remove boot argument agdpmod=pikera.

Updates:
  • 06-Dec-2021: First version

Attachments

• OC-076-DESIGNARE-Z390.zip
    8.3 MB · Views: 212
  • OC-076-DESIGNARE-Z390-INTEL-WIRELESS.zip
    58.4 MB · Views: 127
Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Intel UHD 630 (Desktop 9 Series)
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I've created a Clover-to-OpenCore transition guide for Z390 Designare (click here), but the OpenCore EFI it refers to will not work on the B360M D3H. My recommendation would be to follow that guide, but make necessary changes for your motherboard.

To create an OpenCore EFI from scratch, the "reference" guide is located here:
Thank you so much, will try that

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900KF
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
When using OpenCore Configurator, ensure that only one EFI partition is mounted
Have you noticed that weird macOS issue when multiple EFIs are mounted?

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z690 Aero G
CPU
i9-12900K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
  4. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@CaseySJ

Updated to OC 0.7.6 without issue as usual with your excellent instructions. (I manually update files.)

Things to Test or Check:
  • Any OCS or other warnings before OpenCore picker appears? No warnings
  • Does macOS boot properly? Yes - both Big Sur 11.6.1 and Monterey 12.0.1
  • Does Bluetooth work? Can you enable and disable Bluetooth? Fenvi-T919 no problem
  • Does Bluetooth work if you (a) boot into Windows and then (b) boot into macOS without doing a cold start? Yes
  • If you use "Resizable BAR Support" in Windows, try enabling that in BIOS and check if macOS boots properly. Don't Use

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z690 Aero G
CPU
i9-12900K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
  4. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Have you noticed that weird macOS issue when multiple EFIs are mounted?

@Inqnuam

When using OpenCore Configurator I have noticed problems when editing config.plist files when more than one EFI is mounted. When I think I'm editing and saving one config.plist file, the edits can and do appear in the other config.plist. This used to drive me crazy thinking I was doing something wrong. As CaseySJ warned, I'm very cautious about having more than one EFI mounted if I'm editing a config.plist file.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i7 9700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Looking for some advice on the best way to configure the display on the z390 Designare with a RX580. I’m currently running a DisplayPort cable from the RX580 to the DisplayPort In port on the motherboard. I’m then running a USB C cable from the Thunderbolt port to the LG27UK850 monitor. All of this is working fine.

What I’d like to do is connect to a dual DisplayPort KVM. Would the best approach be a USB C to DisplayPort cable from the motherboard to the KVM or should I be running a DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable from the RX580 to the KVM?

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z690-Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Looking for some advice on the best way to configure the display on the z390 Designare with a RX580. I’m currently running a DisplayPort cable from the RX580 to the DisplayPort In port on the motherboard. I’m then running a USB C cable from the Thunderbolt port to the LG27UK850 monitor. All of this is working fine.

What I’d like to do is connect to a dual DisplayPort KVM. Would the best approach be a USB C to DisplayPort cable from the motherboard to the KVM or should I be running a DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable from the RX580 to the KVM?
If the KVM has DisplayPort video inputs then I would suggest a direct DP-to-DP connection between the RX580 and KVM. Always good to simplify the cable routing whenever possible.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
6900XT
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. LC
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@Inqnuam

When using OpenCore Configurator I have noticed problems when editing config.plist files when more than one EFI is mounted. When I think I'm editing and saving one config.plist file, the edits can and do appear in the other config.plist. This used to drive me crazy thinking I was doing something wrong. As CaseySJ warned, I'm very cautious about having more than one EFI mounted if I'm editing a config.plist file.

I’m glad I’m not the only one who experienced this! I thought I was going crazy. Nowadays, I always rename the config.plist’s if I’m going to have multiple open, then rename the one in use back to config.plist

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900KF
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
I’m glad I’m not the only one who experienced this! I thought I was going crazy. Nowadays, I always rename the config.plist’s if I’m going to have multiple open, then rename the one in use back to config.plist
I lost a month during HackinDROM development to figure it out, that's why I decided to mount EFIs with different names

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i7 9700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
If the KVM has DisplayPort video inputs then I would suggest a direct DP-to-DP connection between the RX580 and KVM. Always good to simplify the cable routing whenever possible.
Is it worth keeping the DP In to the motherboard as well or does that only benefit if you’re passing video through the thunderbolt port?