Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I don't have problems using TRIM. I've had mine for a few years now. In OC, I have APFS trim timeout set to 4294967295. (see https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...olt-3-i7-9700k-amd-rx-580.316533/post-2285778)

I've been keeping an eye on things with the "Sensei" app. I've had no problems with the (non-Plus) 970 series, but I've been using them in HFS+ format and for sample library storage. That being said, when I purchased another PCIe SSD as a recording drive, I went with the SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB (just in case, and because it was on sale.) and formatted it HFS+. The M5 Multitronic Unit is setup for Pro Tools.
Thanks, I’ll use that app to check on my 970 EVO data/recording drive and see how it goes. What are the benefits of HFS+ over APFS? I clearly need to read up on this since I wasn’t even aware there is trim when using anything but APFS.

Report back (for anyone interested).
Upgrading to Big Sur 11.6.0 from Catalina worked perfectly (no installer errors) when I install to a 2.5” SSD (as opposed to my Inland Premium m.2) so it looks like my living on the edge with this unsupported m.2 has finally come to an end. HOWEVER, I still had installer errors to update THAT to the 11.6.1 update, and (as before) removing the intel WiFi/BT kexts, re-enabling the WiFi card blocker SSDT, and disabling WiFi in bios solved that. Perhaps it’s got something to do with secure boot model in OC, I dunno.

I will say Big Sur is a real PITA when it comes to allowing 3rd party extensions (Blackmagic Desktop Video, Avid sentinel, etc), and I’ve noticed that disabling SIP in OC config doesn’t always stick and you gotta use the “Apple” method with Recovery mode.

One question: is there a best way to force rebuild the OS kext cache in Big Sur? I’ve tried a couple of methods (to get these 3rd party extensions working) but non of it seems as solid as the old terminal commands or Clover’s kext Utility.

These issues are all over the internet with actual macs and Big Sur, so it’s not me, OC or my machine.

Thanks!
J
It was surpringly hard to upgrade to Big Sur because of the extra safety measures that blocked some of my kexts(UAD especially).
A developer mentioned that there are bugs in Big Sur that make this a miss and hit affair. These will probably never be fixed in a Big Sur update.

Report back (for anyone interested).
Upgrading to Big Sur 11.6.0 from Catalina worked perfectly (no installer errors) when I install to a 2.5” SSD (as opposed to my Inland Premium m.2) so it looks like my living on the edge with this unsupported m.2 has finally come to an end. HOWEVER, I still had installer errors to update THAT to the 11.6.1 update, and (as before) removing the intel WiFi/BT kexts, re-enabling the WiFi card blocker SSDT, and disabling WiFi in bios solved that. Perhaps it’s got something to do with secure boot model in OC, I dunno.
I experienced this problem even with NO-CNVI SSDT and use of Fenvi WiFi/BT. So I used another system to install the upgrade on this system’s SSD, then moved the SSD back. Subsequent updates went through normally.

I will say Big Sur is a real PITA when it comes to allowing 3rd party extensions (Blackmagic Desktop Video, Avid sentinel, etc), and I’ve noticed that disabling SIP in OC config doesn’t always stick and you gotta use the “Apple” method with Recovery mode.
In the NVRAM —> Delete section we add “csr-active-config” so that whenever we change its value in the NVRAM —> Add section, the new value gets applied on reboot without having to reset NVRAM first.

One question: is there a best way to force rebuild the OS kext cache in Big Sur? I’ve tried a couple of methods (to get these 3rd party extensions working) but non of it seems as solid as the old terminal commands or Clover’s kext Utility.
Not all third party kexts from Mojave or Catalina are compatible with Big Sur. The latest versions should be installed. But to force kernel cache to rebuild, we do this:
Bash:
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions
sudo touch /Library/Extensions
I haven’t done this in ages so…

Hey @CaseySJ,

I tried to connect my Antelope Goliath HD with Thunderbolt, so I followed your recommended steps :

I enabled VT-d in the BIOS (latest version)
I also disable Thunderbolt Vt-d security in BIOS -> BTW, is it relevant?
I removed dart=0 from Boot arg,
I unchecked disableiomapper in my Clover config (see attached)

but vt-d still doesn't appear in IOregistry..

So I also tried to take out the drop DMAR table, as you mentionned earlier for "maccaroni"...
In your Clover config.plist, please try deleting DMAR as shown below (i.e. remove that line), then reboot (VT-d must be enabled in BIOS). Does AppleVTD now appear in IOReg?
View attachment 523102
But when I do so, my hack doesn't boot anymore and show this (see attached).

Any idea what's wrong?

BTW, I have 2 Corsair Vengeance LPX Series Low Profile 32 Go (2x 16 Go) DDR4 2666 MHz CL16 in SLOT A1 & B1

Many thanks for your help!

Attachments

• removing DMAR > BOOT crash.jpg
    removing DMAR > BOOT crash.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 26
  • No VT-d in IO registry.png
    No VT-d in IO registry.png
    72.1 KB · Views: 35
Hey @CaseySJ,

I tried to connect my Antelope Goliath HD with Thunderbolt, so I followed your recommended steps :

I enabled VT-d in the BIOS (latest version)
I also disable Thunderbolt Vt-d security in BIOS -> BTW, is it relevant?
I removed dart=0 from Boot arg,
I unchecked disableiomapper in my Clover config (see attached)

but vt-d still doesn't appear in IOregistry..

So I also tried to take out the drop DMAR table, as you mentionned earlier for "maccaroni"...

But when I do so, my hack doesn't boot anymore and show this (see attached).

Any idea what's wrong?

BTW, I have 2 Corsair Vengeance LPX Series Low Profile 32 Go (2x 16 Go) DDR4 2666 MHz CL16 in SLOT A1 & B1

Many thanks for your help!
Hello @Studiomaca,

Welcome to the forum!

Your Clover configuration seems a bit old and exhibits some issues such as:
  • Two Thunderbolt SSDTs both point to RP21. This is not valid. One of them will fail to load -- maybe the wrong one will load?
  • Loading its own DSDT. This is deprecated.
  • SSDT-UIAC.aml for USBInjectAll, but using USBPorts.kext instead.
  • Loading SSDT-6-A M I.aml, which we should not do. That is part of the system itself and defines USB port capabilities and locations (UPC and PLD methods).
  • Several kernel patches without descriptions, perhaps for USB port limit.
Have you considered switching to OpenCore instead?

If so, I can convert your Clover configuration to OpenCore and send you a new EFI folder to try out.

Which version of macOS are you running?

Hello @Studiomaca,

Welcome to the forum!

Your Clover configuration seems a bit old and exhibits some issues such as:
  • Two Thunderbolt SSDTs both point to RP21. This is not valid. One of them will fail to load -- maybe the wrong one will load?
  • Loading its own DSDT. This is deprecated.
  • SSDT-UIAC.aml for USBInjectAll, but using USBPorts.kext instead.
  • Loading SSDT-6-A M I.aml, which we should not do. That is part of the system itself and defines USB port capabilities and locations (UPC and PLD methods).
  • Several kernel patches without descriptions, perhaps for USB port limit.
Have you considered switching to OpenCore instead?

If so, I can convert your Clover configuration to OpenCore and send you a new EFI folder to try out.

Which version of macOS are you running?
Hi!

Thanks for your quick response!

Yeah I'll be glad to try with Opencore and try out your EFI.

I use Mojave 10.14.6.

Frank

Hi!

Thanks for your quick response!

Yeah I'll be glad to try with Opencore and try out your EFI.

I use Mojave 10.14.6.

Frank
I have downloaded your EFI folder, but because it contains serial numbers, please "edit" your original post and delete both the EFI ZIP and config.plist. I'll post the OpenCore version soon.

Done! Thank you.
Update: Please let me know when you're available to download the EFI ZIP and I'll re-post the file.

Please try the attached OpenCore configuration. I've removed the file because it's been over 10 minutes.

But first, please let me know once you have download the ZIP so I can delete it. This ZIP is fully configured -- including your existing serial numbers.

Once you have downloaded it, I will post instructions.

Last edited:
Back